3 hour road test for job

After I had worked the dock all summer as a casual, one Monday morning Roadway decided to give me a road test. Off a supervisor and I went in a line haul tractor and trailer. Everything went fine in our half hour trip. As we came back to the yard, I missed the entrance, and as we went by the Roadway dock, all the dockworkers started waving at us.

I just need a job lol I have a interview first then road test so I should be able to tell what's up hopefully.
Test the water. Use your instincts. If it feels like you are being played - you probably are.
As long as you are not working anyhow, consider it a learning experience.
You have to learn how to "play" the company safety man or the company HR Department anyhow.
Even if it works out bad, you'll know how to better handle the next job interview and test ride.
Good Luck - we were all there once - even if some refuse to admit it.

Like Super C stated,decades ago, my road test was more than a half century ago.
Lasted about 30 min. no backing involved.
You drove your first trip with another line driver who sometime sat in an unsecured hard back chair,
had no seats on right side, ( no seat belts in those days) usually a 260 mi turn.
He earned his money that trip, we were both paid.
I asked the safety man why we had no seats on the right side,
I was told so we would know which side to drive from!

Like Super C stated,decades ago, my road test was more than a half century ago.
Lasted about 30 min. no backing involved.
You drove your first trip with another line driver who sometime sat in an unsecured hard back chair,
had no seats on right side, ( no seat belts in those days) usually a 260 mi turn.
He earned his money that trip, we were both paid.
I asked the safety man why we had no seats on the right side,
I was told so we would know which side to drive from!
also, many LTL companies ran bare-bones equipment, like (many times) no power steering, a/c, nor even an AM radio.

After I had worked the dock all summer as a casual, one Monday morning Roadway decided to give me a road test. Off a supervisor and I went in a line haul tractor and trailer. Everything went fine in our half hour trip. As we came back to the yard, I missed the entrance, and as we went by the Roadway dock, all the dockworkers started waving at us.
OK- then what?
Were the dockhands using ALL their fingers when the were "waving" or just the middle one?

OK- then what?
Were the dockhands using ALL their fingers when the were "waving" or just the middle one?
i think it means they were basically laughing at him for missing the entrance.

at least then, he'd have a good excuse for missing any exits as well.........!!!!

Reactions: mud

at least then, he'd have a good excuse for missing any exits as well.........!!!!
Another time, they took one of the dock casuals out for a road test. Of course we all watched them leave. The casual driving, the supervisor in the passenger seat. They came back about ten minutes later. The supervisor driving, the casual in the passenger seat. The casual failed.

also, many LTL companies ran bare-bones equipment, like (many times) no power steering, a/c, nor even an AM radio.
BARE BONES!! man these are luxuries, all our tractors were not equipped with heaters or T S in 1955
didn't see AC until 1978, didn't have P S when they folded in 1990

While "running the system" in the early '90's (before cell phones with GPS mapping), I missed a lot of terminals. I was not required to go through any "ride along" or indoctrination at the main office in Holland, MI at all. They just gave a set of bills, an old Ford Louisville tractor (#1250) hooked to a trailer and told me to head down the highway. I had to get my own directions and maps from other drivers (sometimes written on napkins). Several times, like in Buffalo and Knoxville, I got directions to where Holland used to be finding only an empty bldg. The second time in Buffalo, I found they'de moved again. First time into Cleveland, I only had written directions that told me to turn the wrong way at the top of the ramp. I ended up in a residential area at 3 AM and had to turn around in a school parking lot. In those days I did not have a cell phone, so some of those nights were interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
While "running the system" in the early '90's (before cell phones with GPS mapping), I missed a lot of terminals. I was not required to go through any "ride along" or indoctrination at the main office in Holland, MI at all. They just gave a set of bills, an old Ford Louisville tractor (#1250) hooked to a trailer and told me to head down the highway. I had to get my own directions and maps from other drivers (sometimes written on napkins). Several times, like in Buffalo and Knoxville, I got directions to where Holland used to be finding only an empty bldg. The second time in Buffalo, I found they'de moved again. First time into Cleveland, I only had written directions that told me to turn the wrong way at the top of the ramp. I ended up in a residential area at 3 AM and had to turn around in a school parking lot. In those days I did not have a cell phone, so some of those nights were interesting to say the least.
ah yes i remember the days of only pay phones. then i had a Radio Shack bag phone...i was stylin' an groovin'....:funky: