3 week evaluation

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So tomorrow ends my first 3 weeks at the beer company.
They want me to go on there version of the extra board real soon I feel. I've been doing most of the driving today I did 99% of all the driving and yesterday I did 100% of all the driving. Overall the driving is not a huge huge issue. For the most part my main 2 concerns are backing, I could use a little bit more work on backing, I feel and just kind of knowing where to park in general, which I am probably making to much of. Beer trucks turn on a dime and really some are tighter then others, but gas stations are designed to get tractor trailers in and out, they kind of have to be for fuel delivery. So usually gas stations you can get in and out of fairly easily.

The bars we go to usually because we start so early, we can get in and out of them pretty easy to. It's really not that bad. Don't get me wrong I have had to back into some places off of the street and my backing maneuvering could still use some polishing up. My backing is passable I can make it work it's not as good as I would like it to be, but unfortunately there is no substitute for experience.

I need a new two wheeler the baring in mine is all busted up so I'll have to talk to them about that tomorrow. They have me out at headquarters again tomorrow. Actually I want one of the older Magliner's. The guy I worked with on Wednesday had an older Magliner and it was a tad shorter then the one I have now and because I am not super tall, I

The guy I was working with today said I was fine. He said customer service wise I was fine he said to me "Well I've been working with you all day and your not some kind of ******* so that's good."
As far as driving goes you seem to be fine.
As far as handling product and all that goes your okay too.

So I got a call on the telephone today from management and they said that over all, all the guys that I've been working with said that I was doing fine. Management told me just keep it up and keep doing what I was doing. I'm probably 90% there. I mean it's only been 3 weeks and prior to this, I never drove a truck before in my life and that was only in January that I started at truck school, so in 5 months I went from never having driven a truck before to working for a beer distributor driving beer trucks, pulling 15 bay side loaders to 28 foot pup trailers. The company does have some bulk trucks that they use to deliver to grocery stores and those are the 45-53foot trailers and those are usually based out of the main warehouse. The 28footers go all over.

I don't mind the 28 foot pups. I like those for the most part they corner good and while they are a tad harder to back up then a 45-53' the slower you go the more control you have over them and I've already backed them into a couple docks at grocery stores it's not that big of a deal. Today I was pulling an 18 bay side loader which isn't much different then a 28 foot pup trailer and it's weird the height difference in the way each trailer sits was screwing with me ha-ha.

The beer trucks turn on a dime and navigate around really well. Really in all honesty, I like the job just fine and most of the jobs aspects are just fine. I mean I take it real seriously and it really is a good job. I know food service trucking isn't for everyone, but I do like it and in general I do like working for the beer distributor.

It was funny though today I was waiting for a break in traffic to pull out and this old woman stopped her car to give me a break so I could make a left hand turn out onto the main road and as I did I waived thank you to her and she looked at our beer truck and gave us a real big thumbs up it was pretty awesome!

My brother works as a caddie at a golf course (actually makes pretty good money at it.) He did just get hired on to work at an investment company (he has a major in business administration and took a lot of finance classes in college so that's what he does.) Any how he hasn't started his new job yet, pretty soon though, but he was working on the golf course today caddieing for someone and the guy he was caddieing for asked him "So do you have any brothers or sisters?" My brother said "Yes I do, I have 1 brother." The man said "Oh what does your brother do?"
My brother replied "He drives a beer truck." The man said "Really? That's awesome! You know your brothers always going to have a job with a career like that. I don't think people are going to stop drinking any time soon."

It's a shame though, people don't give the real hero's of the food service trucking world due credit. So I will here is to all of you who work at Systems Services Company (SYSCO), Gordon Food Service, Mains, Northern Hasserot Brandt, C.A. Curtze, Reinhardt, MBM, McLane and while there still around for a little while longer US Foods. People might come for the beer, but they stay for the food and after all good food is what really makes an establishment.

"Systems and Services Company". I can honestly say that's the first time I've heard SYSCO referenced as such in normal conversation. I always knew that's what the acronym stood for, just never heard anyone use it. I'm going to start doing so, exclusively, from now on.
I hear ya on the height difference. I trained on and only drove side-loaders for my first couple of years and the first time I drove a normal trailer I was kind of uncomfortable, I was used to being able to see the road + entire side loader in the mirror and it just didnt feel right at first in a normal trailer.
The height difference is a good thing. Looking at my (lack of) driving ability my first year I honestly don't know how I didn't wind up getting one of those things stuck bottomed-out on a curb/snow bank/you name it.

"Systems and Services Company". I can honestly say that's the first time I've heard SYSCO referenced as such in normal conversation. I always knew that's what the acronym stood for, just never heard anyone use it. I'm going to start doing so, exclusively, from now on.

That's totally awesome!

Lazlo, the last big meeting we had, they announced the change in the logo, no more cube, and Sysco would become a word, the name was so well known now that we would no longer be Systems and Services Company, but simply Sysco, and they added a little green leaf to the y, because you should eat your veggies.

Mike, I'd still beware the canopy above the pumps at gas stations. Most fuel trucks are a lot lower than thirteen six. Also, a lot of gas stations get their fuel during the grave yard shift.

My OTR trainer refused to teach me anything about backing, the knucklehead believed the skill could not be taught, only learned by experience. I think he just wanted to keep the truck rolling so he could make more money. And then he had the nerve to get agitated when I was having trouble backing into a dock.

It's funny, I would remember a place where I had a heck of a time getting my truck into, say in my first year at Sysco, and then being sent back there a few years later, and being really nervous about it, because I remember what a pain it was the first time. Then when I got there, boom, no problem, what was I worried about? And this happened over and over.

Yeah, shorter trailers turn quicker.

Oops, time for dinner. Bye

Mike, I'd still beware the canopy above the pumps at gas stations. Most fuel trucks are a lot lower than thirteen six. Also, a lot of gas stations get their fuel during the grave yard shift.

That exact thing came up today. The warehouse was running behind, they have been actually running behind all week and Our truck was backed into the garage where it gets loaded and we were waiting for the warehouse to finish loading the truck and the driver who I was with today has had some very bad routes with the company and some very bad things have happened to him, out in the inner city, he almost got killed was very badly beaten up, and I felt really bad for him.

So because of that the company gave him an easier route in a much better neighbor hood and they also gave him his own tractor, they gave him a brand new tractor it's a full sized International Super Single. He said it's a nice truck it's not governed at all and it moves on the highway. Any how, because it's a full size truck with a good size air fairing on the roof, it has clearance issues. So this morning he looked at his truck and said "I have to switch out tractors. Will never make the clearances that we need to make in this truck today."

The company does have one of those goofy rear load and unload / side loader trailers and I don't think I would like that trailer it's kind of high and real awkward. 7UP has a couple of them and the guys who use them don't have anything nice to say about them. There not very common I think and there not the greatest design ever and I think in theory an outdated design. The company I work for I don't get the vibe that they are very big on side load trailers, I think eventually over time they would like to get rid of all the side load trailers. I know the one Pepsi terminal I used to drive by had very few side load trailers, they had a couple 16 bays a 2-3 12 bay straight trucks, but that was about it.