Holland | 3 years to find our solidarity

"Fighting is not voting NO, and then when it doesn't go your-way quitting and running to the next grassy field."

LOL! It's not like we only voted NO once....we got to vote until it went their way--The Company AND the Unions! Trust me--quite a few guys (myself included)stayed and "fought" the company for several years. That just got us 7-8 years of a 25% pension.

Remember what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I wish you guys the best in your "battle".
P.s. The time to find another job is during a huge driver shortage...as in the last 2 years. Don't wait for the economy to go in the toilet or they will have you over a barrel come contract time.....peace.

"Fighting is not voting NO, and then when it doesn't go your-way quitting and running to the next grassy field."

LOL! It's not like we only voted NO once....we got to vote until it went their way--The Company AND the Unions! Trust me--quite a few guys (myself included)stayed and "fought" the company for several years. That just got us 7-8 years of a 25% pension.

Remember what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I wish you guys the best in your "battle".
P.s. The time to find another job is during a huge driver shortage...as in the last 2 years. Don't wait for the economy to go in the toilet or they will have you over a barrel come contract time.....peace.
Sounds like you quit and went to the next grassy field?

The grass at Holland was brown, and with **** poor leadership at the top of the Teamsters, it was going to (and has) stayed brown. So those of us who knew that they had better options, took them and moved on.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Has anything improved at Holland? Doesn't sound like it to me. Seems like a good decision from my point of view.

Sounds like you quit and went to the next grassy field?

You bet I did! As Northern said.....the grass at Holland was brown....I prefer GREEN$. I still talk to my friends at Holland.....they tell me morale just keeps getting lower and the company is now hiring right out of trucking schools to get people to work there! You actually had to KNOW somebody years ago to get a job there......oh well....was good while it lasted.

Well I got tired of them(union,company,members) sticking it up my ass and left. I got tired of doing a lot of research and leg work with others to get the RIGHT info into our members hands. Hollandman73 can vouch for me and if you don't believe search DC VELOCITY trucking magazine and you will see how I fought to get the word out. I respect your resiliency but the bottom line you'll never get anything back. I was at holland for 18yrs, NW for 3, hyman for 3, I knew alot of old timers some still working some retired and it made them sick to see how fast the measters gave everything back.
I hope they turn it around and the fairy tale you guys are living comes true but the company will never never never give you anything close to what is earned and deserved back. Reality is the IBT is and acts just like a corporation. The locals can stand behind you and agree with you but they have no power to change anything. I feel for you guys who can't find other jobs or are in areas that have limited jobs and feel stuck. But to call us who left, quitters or ran scared or non fighters you deserve everything you get and by that I mean yrcws foot stuck right up your ass next to your brains. You guys sit here and talk change, last 3 elections Hoffa has won unanimously and during this period of his dominance, we lost CF, he let UPS out of pension plan, the entire YRC debacle and he has not organized any company of size or significance, but he is still holding office.
So yes I ran for the GREENER pasture but not until after I fought tooth and nail for 5 yrs only to have fellow teamsters tell me to chill out, mind my own business and go rat me out saying I'm threatening them to vote yes buy handing them literature of the facts.
I have heard guys say well it's ok as long as I am getting 20hrs OT a week and many told me if I'm so unhappy there I should quit. So I had enough and moved on to browner and greener pastures. Sometimes if it looks like ::shit::, smells like ::shit:: it probably is ::shit:: and yrcw looks and smells of ::shit:: and I wasn't sticking around to be a taste tester. Best of luck guys I hope things turn around for you or other opportunities present themselves but sometimes you have to create your own luck and success.

:1036316054:
Damn Pimp, I couldn't have said it better myself. Sounds like you and I have had the exact same experience.

I feel as though a lot of the remaining guys underestimate their value to the truck driving industry. I understand that some are older and are nervous that some companies might not want them because of their age, and I respect that, but I also think that there are a lot of guys that don't realize how easy it is to move on when you have a solid resume'.
To each their own, I guess, but I've never accepted being someone's bitch and just tolerating it.

Point being, don't underestimate your skills and value to another company......that is......unless your resume' isn't very good. Then you might want to proceed with caution.

:1036316054:
Damn Pimp, I couldn't have said it better myself. Sounds like you and I have had the exact same experience.

I feel as though a lot of the remaining guys underestimate their value to the truck driving industry. I understand that some are older and are nervous that some companies might not want them because of their age, and I respect that, but I also think that there are a lot of guys that don't realize how easy it is to move on when you have a solid resume'.
To each their own, I guess, but I've never accepted being someone's bitch and just tolerating it.

Point being, don't underestimate your skills and value to another company......that is......unless your resume' isn't very good. Then you might want to proceed with caution.
Thanks Flash. I was telling hollandman73, if you think back since this MOU their are more than a handful of guys at JO aka table of knowledge, that will cry and bitch everyday about everything, trailer loaded, dispatch, customer, MOU, yrc,rat out fellow teamsters you name it and will never even look for a better opportunity and stand there and beat their chest saying were real teamsters were staying and fighting. No your staying because you enjoy being ****ed and miserable and have no balls to make a move. I have friends their, still that stay because it works for them its security and I even tell them I know it works for you now but what about when you want to retire? I had 18 good pension years and after the yes men, company and union ****ed me out of last 5 I woke up and said I'm done. I got in this industry at 19 my goal was to retire young enough to hopefully enjoy a long and active retirement and I wasn't about to let them assholes decide or change my fate.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I think you nailed it there Pimp!
Sadly, most guys that are still there just won't get it. Not sure why we keep trying to convince these guys......guess it if helps just one decide to leave it's a victory of sorts.

The Table of Knowledge....:butt kiss::crybaby::hissyfit::sorrow::479: LOL!
Just need one more pointing at a time clock saying "what about him?"

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I think you nailed it there Pimp!
Sadly, most guys that are still there just won't get it. Not sure why we keep trying to convince these guys......guess it if helps just one decide to leave it's a victory of sorts.

The Table of Knowledge....:butt kiss::crybaby::hissyfit::sorrow::479: LOL!
Just need one more pointing at a time clock saying "what about him?"
The infamous table of knowledge . I almost forgot about them.

I completely understand the difference scenarios as to why some people stay. (too old, family lives in area, accidents, etc.etc.) But to call people pansies or anti-union or whatever for leaving, is off the charts crazy. Some people don't have any confidence in themselves or their ability to move on, but that's not my problem, it's theirs.

I wonder how many people are like me, if you take away the pension fiasco, I really like my job. Would it be nice to make more money, sure, but my job is relatively easy, the pay is pretty good, insurance is great, big brother is not looking over my shoulder all night, it is just that darn pension that throws a wrench in a good gig.

I agree. I always felt that the LTL jobs were easy, and I even enjoyed the work. What I didn't care for was the negativity that surrounded the place on a daily basis. I stayed in that industry and at that company for three reasons,

1) good pay
2) great insurance
3) pension

And when 2 of the 3 were negatively affected, the atmosphere got worse and it was no longer worth it, in my case.
I hope that someday it rebounds for you guys......but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I agree. I always felt that the LTL jobs were easy, and I even enjoyed the work. What I didn't care for was the negativity that surrounded the place on a daily basis. I stayed in that industry and at that company for three reasons,

1) good pay
2) great insurance
3) pension

And when 2 of the 3 were negatively affected, the atmosphere got worse and it was no longer worth it, in my case.
I hope that someday it rebounds for you guys......but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I have a pretty good group of guys at my barn, I am talking about the road guys now, they don't sit around and bitch all night waiting for their bills like at some of the barns. As a general rule they are cracking jokes and picking on each other and talking football. There has been a lot of talk lately about the new trucks and the safety features where they slow you down automatically when you have someone pull in front of you and about the automatic transmissions and stuff like that. I don't think the morale is that bad at all, now that might now be true on the day shift, I am not sure if the city guys have a much worse attitude or not. I only see those guys like five minutes in the morning and they are usually eating breakfast and then I see them at night when they are running to the punch clock. As far as the pay goes, well I made almost eighty last year, but with no money taken out for insurance or anything the paychecks are better than most jobs I have had. Like I always say, I don't care how much per hour or how much per mile there is only one number I care about and that is the amount that is direct deposited into my checking account on Friday. So I guess it's only 1 out of 3 that is really negative for me, VERY NEGATIVE! But I am changing some things with IRA's and 401k's and stuff and will hopefully have enough time and creativity to adjust for a half a pension, God Willing!

I don't have a current update on the morale where I came from, but when I left, it was similar to a war zone. Yes, there were a group of us that had a lot of laughs, but there was a group that would stick a knife in your back every chance they got. Most of them had to stop by the TM's office before they headed to the driver's room. (slurp, slurp)
I hope that it has improved there, but I doubt it.