ABF | 30 foot pups!

AkitaDog

TB Regular
Credits
T.M. Told us that they purchased new power equipment but put the new trailers on hold because their waiting for a new law to pass that would allow 30' pups! Has anybody else heard this? He said Fedex got the ball rolling on this change. Time will tell.

Two extra feet on a trailer doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it's not like you'll get another pallet in that two feet. (I know about the difference if they're straight in or sideways). I'd say they would get more use out of a pup of they cut the kickboard down an inch on each side.

One thing that really kills me with the longer equipment is how it benefits the freight companies short term by giving them an advantage over those who are slower to get them. Then competition drops the rates because of the new efficiency. And the driver gets the grief of having to navigate the streets with them and even the fines for taking them places they are forbidden to go. If we all just had 40' trailers the freight would still get moved and there would be more jobs for drivers.

One thing that really kills me with the longer equipment is how it benefits the freight companies short term by giving them an advantage over those who are slower to get them. Then competition drops the rates because of the new efficiency. And the driver gets the grief of having to navigate the streets with them and even the fines for taking them places they are forbidden to go. If we all just had 40' trailers the freight would still get moved and there would be more jobs for drivers.

Since when was the intent of trucking to create more jobs? Never was, never will be. It only going to get worse. Everybody wants blood out of stone, do more work for the same pay. I'm surprised they havent pushed for the allowance of triples on all interstate highways.

Since when was the intent of trucking to create more jobs? Never was, never will be. It only going to get worse. Everybody wants blood out of stone, do more work for the same pay. I'm surprised they havent pushed for the allowance of triples on all interstate highways.
I'm sure they have.

something like that would actually be useful, instead of trying to get around with a 53.

"Getting around" with a 53' trailer is a violation of the Surface Transportation Act of 1986. 53' trailers, 102" wide are for designated highway use only. Here in Pennsylvania, you can get a list of "designated highways" and where it's legal to take both 53's and doubles by requesting a copy of Publication 411 from the PA DMV. It's free,...a very nice binder complete with maps and street lisings. Our copy hangs right outside the dispatch window......we have no arguments on trailer legality.

I would only be okay with triples if they ran at night only when traffic is light. During rush hour I couldn't even begin to imagine the headache trying to get through a city.

I would only be okay with triples if they ran at night only when traffic is light. During rush hour I couldn't even begin to imagine the headache trying to get through a city.

No, Brother,.....you are not O.K with triples at night......because when they become legal "at night",...it'll only be a matter of months before some "Hero" volunteers to take them.......illegally.....during the day, through the traffic. Then another matter of months before it becomes a common practice, legal or not. Same as 53'ers now. There are "Heros" taking them all over into alleys and residential areas everywhere. Everyone is happy with the added revenue until some oversize truck runs someone off the road,....a road that a 53 or a 102" wide shouldn't be on. Then it's "Hang the stupid truck driver who doesn't know the laws! Or, Fine him if he does, and flagrantly violates them!" Now,.......how many non-Union companies routinely dispatch their drivers with 53'ers into areas that management knows are illegal with that size truck...........knowing that the driver does not have the courage to stand up to management and OBEY THE LAW? They are more scared for their job than they are of violating the law............Hey, Rollin62,.....would that be the reason you "came" to ABF from Conway? Union protection in case of a disagreement between you and management over legalities? Inquiring minds would like to know............

No, Brother,.....you are not O.K with triples at night......because when they become legal "at night",...it'll only be a matter of months before some "Hero" volunteers to take them.......illegally.....during the day, through the traffic. Then another matter of months before it becomes a common practice, legal or not. Same as 53'ers now. There are "Heros" taking them all over into alleys and residential areas everywhere. Everyone is happy with the added revenue until some oversize truck runs someone off the road,....a road that a 53 or a 102" wide shouldn't be on. Then it's "Hang the stupid truck driver who doesn't know the laws! Or, Fine him if he does, and flagrantly violates them!" Now,.......how many non-Union companies routinely dispatch their drivers with 53'ers into areas that management knows are illegal with that size truck...........knowing that the driver does not have the courage to stand up to management and OBEY THE LAW? They are more scared for their job than they are of violating the law............Hey, Rollin62,.....would that be the reason you "came" to ABF from Conway? Union protection in case of a disagreement between you and management over legalities? Inquiring minds would like to know............
That's it. I needed union protection