SAIA | 30 min rest break

suicidejockey

TB Regular
Credits
So I run a 580 mi turn I am at my destination terminal a total of 45 min drop/ hook/fuel . Ok my tm says I can count 30 min of that 45 as my OFF DUTY dot break I tell him I disagree he says I am allotted 15 min built into my run time going and coming that it is figured on 50mph 130 miles of my run is steep mountains and 45/55/ mph city roads my run time each way is 5 hr 30 min for 290 miles( I can do it in 5hr 15 min if I stay after it pretty hard). I read the law the law says you must log the break off duty and must be released from any responsibility of the truck unless you haul 1.1/1.2/1.3 explosives and then you can count that as on duty not driving attendance time ( we don't haul none of that stuff so it don't apply to us) to my knowledge when I'm dropping / hooking / fueling I am on duty .

Am I right or wrong please share your thoughts on this I think the company is confused by this and either don't want to acknowledge it or is just plain wrong about it . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

the only way to take it off duty is to take it @ a terminal. the company is saying you can take it on duty not driving. this looks like it cause some problems

I take it you are dropping a set of pups and hooking a new set? At my barn on a run like this we do ****ch outs and are given 15 mins. to do a switch(drop lead and hook up to other lead). 45 min. to do that is good. either take the extra 30 mins. at the turn location or 30 min at home base for rest, food etc...

Here it is in a nutshell, if you get hurt in the 30 of the 45 min. hook or drop they can claim you did it on ur own time. Take your 30 min. break and dont do a damn thing.

My thoughts are these, and maybe I am wrong, so feel free to set me straight. ANY time you are performing the duties of your job, such as hooking or fueling,etc...you are on duty. I say that based on if you are injured while hooking a set, workmans comp. and insurance is going to ask you how you got hurt. It would be unacceptable answer to say you were off duty but performing the task and got hurt. Be safe and log a 30 minute off duty away from truck and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm going to show mine in ATL even though the company wants you to show it between the 4-6 hour. The way im going to show it is legal ....so **** em is what i say. In your case, do what you want. Guys are getting too bend out of shape about this to begin with. People like me who don't stop or take a break are going to find a place to log it where it is accurate and legal even though they are not actually on break, and guys who take a nap or get something to eat are going to log it like it is. In the end we are both right. Don't sweat it. If you want to nap during you break, do it. The only time I will have a problem is during those rare nights I can get in and out of my turn point and it only takes 30 minutes. Of course I work the dock and drive, so I can always show a break at some point there until we go to e logs....is it legal and right...no....but it gets me home quicker.

According to the law, you must have "NO RESPONSIBILITY" you MUST be able to do as you please & walk away from your equipment, unless you haul 1.1/1.2/1.3 explosives. It even states if you breakdown or are in traffic, this MUST be logged on duty & CANNOT be used as a 30 minute break. ANY WORK performed cannot be used as a 30 minute break & the D.O.T. is gonna push this. We are rolling ATM's to the D.O.T. & they're gonna make a lot of money outta people who try to abuse this. If your intentions are not to legally take your break & falsify your logs, don't post it on a blog site that companies & D.O.T. monitor. Remember the company may pay the fine, but they're not gonna do the time, just saying.

It don't really make a lot of difference to me I will obey the law no problem it just pissed me off that the tm lied to me and then tried to talk to me like I was to freakin stupid to know what the law says when in reality he is the one who don't have a d@ m clue !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I take it you are dropping a set of pups and hooking a new set? At my barn on a run like this we do ****ch outs and are given 15 mins. to do a switch(drop lead and hook up to other lead). 45 min. to do that is good. either take the extra 30 mins. at the turn location or 30 min at home base for rest, food etc...

Here it is in a nutshell, if you get hurt in the 30 of the 45 min. hook or drop they can claim you did it on ur own time. Take your 30 min. break and dont do a damn thing.

it's not 45 minutes it's .45 or 27 minutes.

I asked saftey to day if were responsible for the truck seeing how were off duty for break.....and they said no asl8ng as doors and trailer is locked

You're right *******. After 8 hrs. on duty you are required to take 30 min. where you are completely relieved of any responsibilities to the truck or company. They're just trying to keep you moving.

Think they are trying to do it right with what works with company policy and FMCSA regulation. If you interrupt the break on VNOMICS by turning the switch, the company line is you have to start the break all over. Also the safety man said they want it btwn the 4-6, but if it becomes a habit for a certain person to do it in line with the reg., they will evaluate why and adjust it for that driver accordingly. Also, they are not going in line with the short haul exception that just came down through the appeals court of drivers staying within 100 air miles being exempt from the mandatory break. Everyone has their own opinion though. It sucks for me b/c I want to roll. The quicker I'm done, the quicker I'm home. I agree though, if you need a break, take a damn break regardless of what hour it is.

So...help me out here...the VNOMICS is not activated in my area yet. I take my break in the cab of the truck- read paper, check email, etc. when it's hot out, I start the truck and run the a/c for a couple minutes. Run the heat in the winter. Would starting the truck reset my break time?

Just logout of the VNOMIC's and it will not register anything. As long as your not under dispatch ie ( at meet or at terminal).

Well as long as you don't move the truck and log off duty you will still be o'kay. Cranking the truck does not put you on duty but movement does. Some companies E logs doesn't put you on duty driving until the truck reaches 15 mph. How this will work with VNOMIC's ???