FedEx Freight | 30 minute AM yard time?

when we have a preshift we are asked to come in early. you should show 30 min to hook and 15-30 min for your pre-shift.

Same in my barn , "20 and out" is the rule.

I'll say it again. ASK to see this rule in writing! They WILL not do it! Saying it is one thing, they can always deny exactly what was said.

If they will, then someone in safety need to explain a few things. The main thing that makes the 20-30min or whatever timelimit imposible to justify is the pretrip inspection. Nowhere can they tell you how long it takes to do a thorough inspection.

I do know they kind of guys yall are talking about who find a way to clock in and roll out the get in 10-15 minutes. Those are they guys who need coaching. THEY are NOT doing their job properly.:Flame-On:

FXF is one now

Everyone should have the same "goal". It's 30 min from punch in. But add the B.S preshift, gathering some load bars, maybe a strap if your lucky enough to find one, putting a pallet jack in the trailer, and try to Figure what's on the rear of your trailer (So you know where to go first). Only if your routes closed on time or if you have no hooking problems(truck or trailer). 30 min is a goal, not a mandatory requirement. I'd rather have safe equipment and professional drivers on the road representing the company I work for. If anyone gets a write up for an infraction of this "goal" they need to seek out their HR rep, safety rep, or a lawyer.

LOL I WOULD JUST HIT DEPART BUTTON B4 I EVEN GOT IN THE CAB AND FOLLOW THE NEXT DRIVER OUT THE GATE SO I WOULDNT HAVE TO USE MY GATE CARD:biglaugh:

Yall don't have gate readers yet in the west? Gate in/out times come from when the reader recognizes the transponder on the truck/trailer, not the time entered in the handheld.

If you cannot get out of the yard in 30 minutes you should do what one or more of the idiots in cleveland do...Drive through the yard in your personal car 45 minutes b4 your start time..(not allowed)..Jump in the Fedex tractor 40 minutes b4 your start time and hook up(not allowed) and let the truck idle for an hour. :flame:Then come in and put a pallet jack and 2 wheeler in your trailer 30 minutes b4 your start time(not allowed)..Then Load your trailer on your own time 20 minutes b4 your start time, then roll out the gate with a stellar 5 minute yard time. Us drivers get pissed about and have brought it up to HR, Terminal managers and Dispatchers only to be laughed at and ignored...I guess its all a numbers game...Just wait till that person hits somebody with the FEDEX truck b4 being punched in, or falls down the steps and gets hurt..only then will it get stopped for a few days.....then it will start right back up!....Can't believe some of these guys want to work for free..Just better Pray he doesnt hit me!

Get HR or other management to go out there and show me how to get in there, pretrip(hopefully no defects found), hook, secure loads, gather pallet jacks, etc., get dispatched, and gate in 30min or less. If that were the case on the road board, there would be misspulls to no end. So, what's good for the road is good for the city.

If you cannot get out of the yard in 30 minutes you should do what one or more of the idiots in cleveland do...Drive through the yard in your personal car 45 minutes b4 your start time..(not allowed)..Jump in the Fedex tractor 40 minutes b4 your start time and hook up(not allowed) and let the truck idle for an hour. :flame:Then come in and put a pallet jack and 2 wheeler in your trailer 30 minutes b4 your start time(not allowed)..Then Load your trailer on your own time 20 minutes b4 your start time, then roll out the gate with a stellar 5 minute yard time. Us drivers get pissed about and have brought it up to HR, Terminal managers and Dispatchers only to be laughed at and ignored...I guess its all a numbers game...Just wait till that person hits somebody with the FEDEX truck b4 being punched in, or falls down the steps and gets hurt..only then will it get stopped for a few days.....then it will start right back up!....Can't believe some of these guys want to work for free..Just better Pray he doesnt hit me!

HAHAHAHA!!! I have personally watched this individual in the CLE yard myself. One day I watched him start up the truck (mind you he never opened the hood or even looked the exterior over), and I watched as the MASSIVE exhaust leak was blowing white smoke up the BACK OF THE CAB!!! Hardly any smoke from the stack, all of it coming from under the cab and floating up the back of the cab and rear window. Then I watched him just drive off, go around the dock with the smoke billowing, hook up, leave the truck running, and go inside the building. Mind you, all of this was about 40 minutes before his scheduled start time!

It happens every day. Most CLE drivers never open the hood of their truck. I doubt they could tell you what color the engine is painted! But they do make it out of the gate in the SACRED 30 MINUTES!

Just remember guys, it is YOU Fedex will nail if something goes wrong. It is YOU that will have to live with the guilt if your broken equpment causes an accident in which someone gets killed. It is YOU that will end up in prison on VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER charges. JUST DO THE PROPER PRE TRIP, AND SCREW THE 30 MINUTES!!!!

In addition, it is YOU that the deceased's family will sue for every penny you have and ever will have! And that will have an immense impact on the quality of life of your own wife and kids.

And when you're being sued and that grieving family finds out about FedEx Freight's idiotic 30 minute out-the-gate policy that pressures drivers to take unsafe vehicles on the street every day across the country, their lawyer is going to have a field day!! The resulting multi-million dollar lawsuit will be bad publicity and make Fred Smith rather unhappy with some people in Harrison.

In addition, it is YOU that the deceased's family will sue for every penny you have and ever will have! And that will have an immense impact on the quality of life of your own wife and kids.

And when you're being sued and that grieving family finds out about FedEx Freight's idiotic 30 minute out-the-gate policy that pressures drivers to take unsafe vehicles on the street every day across the country, their lawyer is going to have a field day!! The resulting multi-million dollar lawsuit will be bad publicity and make Fred Smith rather unhappy with some people in Harrison.

Sometimes I can get out of the gate in 30 minutes...IF everything goes right. Most of the time is is around 40 minutes. I'm not suggesting it takes an hour, but 30 minutes is just not enough time.

You are absolutely right about the financial impact it will have on your family. The victims family could take your 401k, retirement savings, your home (providing there is substantial equity) and leave your loved ones with absolutely nothing.

Get HR or other management to go out there and show me how to get in there, pretrip(hopefully no defects found), hook, secure loads, gather pallet jacks, etc., get dispatched, and gate in 30min or less. If that were the case on the road board, there would be misspulls to no end. So, what's good for the road is good for the city.

Oh, they'll be able to do it. They will first have conference calls about it, have the dock super put a pallet jack and hand truck near the door, all the freight will be secured, the shop will service a tractor and the trailer and the tractor will be warmed up.

Then they'll say, "See.... it's easy!"

If you do ANYTHING for work off the clock, you're a fool. This isn't Viking or AF anymore, so no need to kill yourself trying to attain their pie in the sky numbers. We're run by pencil pushers who wouldn't know a spring shackle from a tie down.