R&L | 30 - minute rest period

workmaster

Banned
Credits
I was curious if everyone was taking the break. I read on the t v in the driver`s room under the title Recommendations Note: Even if you do not log, the tractor`s ECM can be downloaded to verify if a 30-minute rest period was taken. The MDT can also be used to verify if the 30-minute uninterrupted rest period was taken. I would say most of the drivers at my yard did not take the break.

Always have taken mine, now I make sure its at least 30 minutes.

absolutely.
and i hear they want the mdt to be powered off(tractor key turned off-green mdt lite off) to be able to verify.
not sure if thats the case, but if it is it aint gona happen. i will NOT sit in that hot box for thirty mins for their records. they know if that truck is sitting in one spot if so. no reason to have to turn it off.

absolutely.
and i hear they want the mdt to be powered off(tractor key turned off-green mdt lite off) to be able to verify.
not sure if thats the case, but if it is it aint gona happen. i will NOT sit in that hot box for thirty mins for their records. they know if that truck is sitting in one spot if so. no reason to have to turn it off.

Totally agree. We are pushing mid to high 90s right now and for the rest of the week. My 30 came waiting for a customer to take their lunch and I had no option but to sit there in their dock with no shade around.

Yes I called safety and was told it can be running just not moving. I ran into the problem of not making my last deliveries before they leave at 5pm cause of this damn break. Lately I have been sitting at the terminal of 30+ minutes waiting to be loaded so I go ahead and show a break at that time and that extends my 8 hour an additional 30+ minutes. Example: I clock in at 8:00 hook/pre trip by 8:30 wait on freight and then out the gate at 9am or later. I will show the 30 minute from 8:30-9 which means the next break will be taken at 5pm instead of 4pm giving me a chance to get empty. My route is so long that I always barely made it empty before places close at 5 before this stupid break.

The break is not stupid, R&L Carriers is the problem
Yes I called safety and was told it can be running just not moving. I ran into the problem of not making my last deliveries before they leave at 5pm cause of this damn break. Lately I have been sitting at the terminal of 30+ minutes waiting to be loaded so I go ahead and show a break at that time and that extends my 8 hour an additional 30+ minutes. Example: I clock in at 8:00 hook/pre trip by 8:30 wait on freight and then out the gate at 9am or later. I will show the 30 minute from 8:30-9 which means the next break will be taken at 5pm instead of 4pm giving me a chance to get empty. My route is so long that I always barely made it empty before places close at 5 before this stupid break.

Well it looks like the 30 min break might get overturned.we shall see on what the courts define as a short haul driver.I bet you this is zimmermans fault.

How many stops in the city do they put on you? If You can"t make it before 5 thats could be have a lot to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The break is stupid. A city driver should not be subject to this. Although I understand they just made an amendment to this. I will stick up for R+L on this one, the break IS stupid.

I like the idea of a break but the problem comes into play when Im running real hard and I cant fit it in. Then Im running against the law and that is a hard pill to swallow.

IT SUCKS...Don't forget linehaul either, run out to your meet and fly back, sounds easy, right? It is always been up to driver to drive safe, that will never change and no #@$%# law that they get passed is going to change stupid people into smart people.
Now we have to fly out there just to sit and get #@$$%$## tired, then fight sleep all the way home...just to be able not to sleep during the day, because you felt like you slept on the way home, doing just fine before the break....THANKS WASHINGTON!!!!

IT SUCKS...Don't forget linehaul either, run out to your meet and fly back, sounds easy, right? It is always been up to driver to drive safe, that will never change and no #@$%# law that they get passed is going to change stupid people into smart people.
Now we have to fly out there just to sit and get #@$$%$## tired, then fight sleep all the way home...just to be able not to sleep during the day, because you felt like you slept on the way home, doing just fine before the break....THANKS WASHINGTON!!!!

I didn't mean to leave the line guys out, I like the idea of a 30 min break. But what I do not like it being made to do it, Short haul drivers should be exempt. Also from what I understand we are now exempt, I think they amended it on Friday.

I didn't mean to leave the line guys out, I like the idea of a 30 min break. But what I do not like it being made to do it, Short haul drivers should be exempt. Also from what I understand we are now exempt, I think they amended it on Friday.

Still doesn't apply to line haul, they have yet to define what a local driver, is or is not, to include a log driver that returns home everyday, and fall in the same category as city. Just sucks that its another case of them telling me when I need this or that. Its like the wife going...."OK you got 2 hours to get a nap before work" like its a light switch you turn off and on...LOL

Also, I wasn't referring to you leaving anyone out...just my way of butting in to the conversation...LOL, we're cool

Short haul is defined in the law as 100 air miles or less and or 11 hrs. 59 minutes or less on log. From what I see at my terminal about half of the city wont have to do it, the other half with line haul, will. From what I understand they are going to try to "define" more wording to see if they can get more "local" drivers included. I just don't think that a "home everyday" 500mile a night line haul driver will ever be considered "short haul" no matter how hard companies fight to change it. Unions are supposed to have all this pull in politics, we'll see if they can get it done. P.S. I'm not trying to start any union thing, just saying what I see on this side of fence. I just know that line haul drivers here at R+L are getting a little beat down because of this break.

Short haul is defined in the law as 100 air miles or less and or 11 hrs. 59 minutes or less on log. From what I see at my terminal about half of the city wont have to do it, the other half with line haul, will. From what I understand they are going to try to "define" more wording to see if they can get more "local" drivers included. I just don't think that a "home everyday" 500mile a night line haul driver will ever be considered "short haul" no matter how hard companies fight to change it. Unions are supposed to have all this pull in politics, we'll see if they can get it done. P.S. I'm not trying to start any union thing, just saying what I see on this side of fence. I just know that line haul drivers here at R+L are getting a little beat down because of this break.

the ruling said a 150 miles from where the drivers start from. For most LTL companies that would cover P&D but not Linehaul. Didn't read where it said 12 hours. Don't worry somebody will sue that this is not fair and it will be held for further review.

I have always tried to get the job done and get at least my 30 minute break in but in dallas we have an a$$ hole dispatcher named walter.....who BTW is disliked by most of the area customers and most of the drivers....who absolutely believes drivers are nothing but grunts.....he watches the GPS to keep track of every move you make....and then pretends to not know where you are and what you are doing. This dude apparantly does not want any of his drivers to go home before him because he will have 5 or 6 of us sitting at a customer just to be sure there isn't swap? WTF? Is that what it's about walter? lets have 5 or 6 drivers there to cover? You are an idiot. Manipulative? the worst. disrespectful. condiscending. a liar...a creep of the utmost. nobody I would ever invite to a barbque at my home. Then when he need 4 drivers there will be 1 to load 60 or 70 pallets by himself? I personally won't be an r&l employee much longer.....fortunately I am not one of those guys who needs to work....I work because I want to, not because I have to....when I am gone my id # will be removed and I will no longer exist. and I am fine with that. R + L moves the freight nobody else want...except maybe averitt....you know...gun safes.....tables.....9ft wide pallets of plywood that cant be unloaded....yet they find people who need the job...that are willing to hurt themselves doing it. next time this sob sends me to that particular customer I will wait until about 7 pm and call in after not oading 1 pallet and quit....on the spot....r&l just absolutley does not care about one of us. I thought it was going to be a decent job....but....probably the worst choice I have made to accept a job. I can find something else.