R&L | 30 - minute rest period

I have always tried to get the job done and get at least my 30 minute break in but in dallas we have an a$$ hole dispatcher named walter.....who BTW is disliked by most of the area customers and most of the drivers....who absolutely believes drivers are nothing but grunts.....he watches the GPS to keep track of every move you make....and then pretends to not know where you are and what you are doing. This dude apparantly does not want any of his drivers to go home before him because he will have 5 or 6 of us sitting at a customer just to be sure there isn't swap? WTF? Is that what it's about walter? lets have 5 or 6 drivers there to cover? You are an idiot. Manipulative? the worst. disrespectful. condiscending. a liar...a creep of the utmost. nobody I would ever invite to a barbque at my home. Then when he need 4 drivers there will be 1 to load 60 or 70 pallets by himself? I personally won't be an r&l employee much longer.....fortunately I am not one of those guys who needs to work....I work because I want to, not because I have to....when I am gone my id # will be removed and I will no longer exist. and I am fine with that. R + L moves the freight nobody else want...except maybe averitt....you know...gun safes.....tables.....9ft wide pallets of plywood that cant be unloaded....yet they find people who need the job...that are willing to hurt themselves doing it. next time this sob sends me to that particular customer I will wait until about 7 pm and call in after not oading 1 pallet and quit....on the spot....r&l just absolutley does not care about one of us. I thought it was going to be a decent job....but....probably the worst choice I have made to accept a job. I can find something else.

I hear ya, I am a 10 year employee and I will be gone hopefully this year.

So far the break has been a huge headache for linehaul, 30 minutes joining the morning
rush traffic usually ends up getting in a hour later than not having to take a break.

I have always tried to get the job done and get at least my 30 minute break in but in dallas we have an a$$ hole dispatcher named walter.....who BTW is disliked by most of the area customers and most of the drivers....who absolutely believes drivers are nothing but grunts.....he watches the GPS to keep track of every move you make....and then pretends to not know where you are and what you are doing. This dude apparantly does not want any of his drivers to go home before him because he will have 5 or 6 of us sitting at a customer just to be sure there isn't swap? WTF? Is that what it's about walter? lets have 5 or 6 drivers there to cover? You are an idiot. Manipulative? the worst. disrespectful. condiscending. a liar...a creep of the utmost. nobody I would ever invite to a barbque at my home. Then when he need 4 drivers there will be 1 to load 60 or 70 pallets by himself? I personally won't be an r&l employee much longer.....fortunately I am not one of those guys who needs to work....I work because I want to, not because I have to....when I am gone my id # will be removed and I will no longer exist. and I am fine with that. R + L moves the freight nobody else want...except maybe averitt....you know...gun safes.....tables.....9ft wide pallets of plywood that cant be unloaded....yet they find people who need the job...that are willing to hurt themselves doing it. next time this sob sends me to that particular customer I will wait until about 7 pm and call in after not oading 1 pallet and quit....on the spot....r&l just absolutley does not care about one of us. I thought it was going to be a decent job....but....probably the worst choice I have made to accept a job. I can find something else.
I worked for R+L for 1 year many years ago.....And hated the job and all those lift gate residential deliveries.....Only the senior guys have easy dock deliveries and rouths for the most part. New guys get stuck with all the BS.....I never worked for Walter but I know him and he is the biggest *ick I ever meant. Fairly good job for the senior guys....But the new guys get the screws.

the flaw most drivers have is wanting to get the job done....thus....the more you do the more they put on you....14 to 18 deliveries everyday....and then start piling 6 to 10 or 12 pickups on you and all of a sudden....if you take a break....you can't get it done....and when you do get it done....late....and dispatch puts one last late closer on you....now the tension sets in....take a lunch and work til 10pm? It never fails. It's Friday night and I am done thinking about it....come Monday the anxiety will set in once again. I wish the company would hire on a few extra drivers....like an extra board....and give the Dallas drivers that need a break....a break.

Enjoy the weekend. You've earned it.:clap:

sounds like the place is still a hell hole. So glad I got the hell out of there year ago. It's only going to get worse,that damn Zimmerman, and Roby, don't give a s*** about any of you drivers. They'll work you right into an early grave, and then they laugh, because they can hire somebody cheaper.

the flaw most drivers have is wanting to get the job done....thus....the more you do the more they put on you....14 to 18 deliveries everyday....and then start piling 6 to 10 or 12 pickups on you and all of a sudden....if you take a break....you can't get it done....and when you do get it done....late....and dispatch puts one last late closer on you....now the tension sets in....take a lunch and work til 10pm? It never fails. It's Friday night and I am done thinking about it....come Monday the anxiety will set in once again. I wish the company would hire on a few extra drivers....like an extra board....and give the Dallas drivers that need a break....a break.

Enjoy the weekend. You've earned it.:clap:
That's not the way R&L runs Dallas my friend....Learn how to play the system before it puts you in an early grave. R&L runs a tight ship with labor. There will never be extra drivers because that's not the way they do things. They have always run their drivers in the ground and it has served them well. They will never change because their operation ratio is one of the best in the business. And that's the bottom line.

That's not the way it's always been in Knoxville. Before Zimmerman came along we always worked all the drivers everyday. We would leave most days with a full trailer . We had enough drivers on the street to take care of the customer and still get off most days by 6:30. Now we leave the bottom 3 or more drivers home and wonder why we can't get back in at night. Any money that they might be saving on labor I'm sure we spend on fuel.
That's not the way R&L runs Dallas my friend....Learn how to play the system before it puts you in an early grave. R&L runs a tight ship with labor. There will never be extra drivers because that's not the way they do things. They have always run their drivers in the ground and it has served them well. They will never change because their operation ratio is one of the best in the business. And that's the bottom line.

I am at the point where I know I am inches from telling them to take this job and shove it. Fortunately I can afford to sit at home. no matter how you run your route in Dallas these dispatchers will always find someone elses work for you to do.

No easy skate runs at our terminal.....Top guy probably works the hardest....all the senior guys have set runs,and yes 75% of the day is liftgate or residentials.....New hires get all the 3 stop dock to dock runs....Funny thing is,all the guys at our terminal that hated R&L and left for greener pastures,all seem to stop back a few months later to see if they can get their jobs back....Slugbug, the dispatcher problems you seem to have are very easy to defeat......Wilmington and Human Resources are there when you feel you are being discriminated against....Don't be afraid to call, you will never get fired for it. You deserve to be treated with respect,if you aren't, reach out and call.....If you wanna be walked on and treated like dirt,and not do anything but complain on a website,I feel sorry for ya......Guarantee dispatcher will change

No easy skate runs at our terminal.....Top guy probably works the hardest....all the senior guys have set runs,and yes 75% of the day is liftgate or residentials.....New hires get all the 3 stop dock to dock runs....Funny thing is,all the guys at our terminal that hated R&L and left for greener pastures,all seem to stop back a few months later to see if they can get their jobs back....Slugbug, the dispatcher problems you seem to have are very easy to defeat......Wilmington and Human Resources are there when you feel you are being discriminated against....Don't be afraid to call, you will never get fired for it. You deserve to be treated with respect,if you aren't, reach out and call.....If you wanna be walked on and treated like dirt,and not do anything but complain on a website,I feel sorry for ya......Guarantee dispatcher will change

I have worked for R+L for about 10 years, I have called HR about discrimination before, and the problem is you have to prove it. Just because the person is a jerk now (after you called on them) is not enough for discrimination. You are best not to call because when you do you get retaliated against and when you call they end up doing nothing, I am sure they have good intentions, but you have to be able to prove it. Unless you can prove it they will always take the supervisor’s or TM’s word over yours, flat out no question about it. HR is a joke at this company. I do say this from experience. Now you can go ahead and feel sorry for me for complaining on this website, but I do not feel sorry for me at all. I will hopefully be gone soon and R+L will have lost a very good driver. So, their loss not mine. As far as people quitting and wanting to come back.....I can say that in the last 5 years 4 long time employees have quit (small term) and none of them have even thought of coming back. They are as happy as one can be where they are now. I am happy for you that you are happy and I do wish I could say the same, but unfortunately I cannot.

Excellent post Slug......But don't even try to reach some of these guys. Bug when I started at Consolidated Freightways 40 years ago you delivered 55 gallon drums by rolling them off on old truck tires. We didn't even have liftgates.....Damn I miss the good old days. I will now leave your forum for good and get back to my hell hole. I wish you guys the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been there and done that also. The first time i ever had to do that, I thought that the guy was crazy. Rolling flammable drums off the back of a trailer on to some tires, but that was the only way they were going to come off of there.

Man, this really has gotten away from the original intent of the thread. I heard today that they( The Feds) are not enforcing the 30 min break for short haul truckers . Can anyone confirm?

I am still taking my 2 15 minute breaks and my lunch.....you guys who prefer to run yourselves into the dirt may do so....what doesn't get delivered or picked up today can wait until tomorrow....the go getters don't undertsand that part......I had an old timer say that exact thing to me about 35 years ago and I told him I needed to get it done....now I understand what he was talking about.

I opened this thread back up but removed all the bickering. Your welcome to post about this topic again but no more arguing.