FedEx Freight | 30 Seconds

Golden Nuts

TB Lurker
Credits
Seems that when Tractor comes back from service you have 30 second idle time. Waiting for a stop light truck shuts off. Waiting to pull out in traffic truck shuts off. Backing in at an idle truck shuts off. What arm chair Quaterback thought this one out.What are you saving??? Do the same to all company cars and see where that would go. It is time to stop with the stupid stuff and be smart about the decision's you make. This sounds like when all the glad hands on trailers were turned.

It's ridiculous, I'll admit watching my fuel mileage meter on the truck I'm getting 6.6mpg average after the ecm service but you can't tell me that dropping the idle time has anything to do with that. I still curse the guy that turned the gladhands over because I still get the occasional trailer that fell through the cracks and is still that way. These are obviously decisions that were made by another non-driver because they look good on paper and get them a pat on the back for:clap: "thinking":nutkick: of it.

I was signing out at the hub the other night(hou)
at the gate, guys checking trailers, bam truck shut off
its an automatic, liked to have never got it cranked
line backed up: hope noone missed their gate time.......

They ought to turn off the ac in the offices in the summer and turn the heat off in in the winter. That would get some attention. Can't let our red shirts get uncomfy though. But it would save alot more money than the idle rule.

GATOR YOU ARE RIGHT ON. I DRIVE A NON AC TRUCK . OFFICE PEOPLE COULD NOT MAKE IT A DAY WITHOUT AC . OR A CONFORTABLE CHAIR AND OH YES A RESTROOM AND MICROWAVE --ON --AND --ON :hide:

.5 gallons per hour idling,,, (ya, who idles an hour at a time,,, thats one half a gallon per hour),,, compared to 2-3 gallons per hour reving the engine at stop lights to keep it running.... hmmm... do the math.... IDIOTS ..... There goes Another "incentive " check,,,, not to mention approx $300 per starter..... DAAAAAAAAA

.5 gallons per hour idling,,, (ya, who idles an hour at a time,,, thats one half a gallon per hour),,, compared to 2-3 gallons per hour reving the engine at stop lights to keep it running.... hmmm... do the math.... IDIOTS ..... There goes Another "incentive " check,,,, not to mention approx $300 per starter..... DAAAAAAAAA
That's what I've noticed, guys doing their paper work hitting the accelerator to keep it running, and if they miss one and it shuts down they start it right back up, so exactly how is this saving anything ...... :chairshot:

FM

Wait till they start replacing the starters.
Then you can drive another guys truck
while yours is in the shop for 2 weeks to have
a new starter put in it.

Wait till they start replacing the starters.
Then you can drive another guys truck
while yours is in the shop for 2 weeks to have
a new starter put in it.
Doesn't matter here, just means the city driver has to find another truck, like I do on a regular basis including last night....... :chairshot::chairshot::chairshot:

FM

That's what I've noticed, guys doing their paper work hitting the accelerator to keep it running, and if they miss one and it shuts down they start it right back up, so exactly how is this saving anything ...... :chairshot:

FM

Familyman :1036316054:

Should be able to bypass the shutdown by using the cruise control or fast idle while parked instead of the throttle.
Ours are set at 3 minutes.
The one minute or 30 second shut down does not make sense if you are not parked. If the driver has to rev up the rpm's in order to keep the engine from shutting off they are actually burning more fuel and not saving anything.

:smilie_132:

River, my PFG truck has a 3 min shut down, I can use the fast idle to by pass it if I need to, however, when I worked for fedex east, I never drove a truck that the fast idle worked on, they had it disabled, things may have changed by now, back then you couldn't get it to fast idle, I looked for ways to bypass the shutdown, I tried everything I knew, nothing worked, someone thought of everything..LOL

wow we have noticed this one minute rule is a joke so maybe einstein in harrison will understand what we already know,this idea isnt worth 2 cents!! now opie in hro get back to your archie comic books and let the real men do their job!

We had our fleet manager or what ever his title is demonstrate how to over ride the 1 minute shutoff. While the warning light is flashing you push the clutch all the way and then you release it. Problem is on some of the new kenworths it doesn't work. Once the light starts flashing it is going to shut off no matter what you do. I was lucky enough to get to drive a new kw while my tractor was in the shop and if you take your eye off of that flashing light you miss it and it shuts off. I was more focused on that light opposed to the traffic light. And when I watched the traffic light the stupid thing shut off

It is unbelievable that you guys are having to deal with this, someone ought to have their nuts cut off for this brain storm, its a total distraction, but like the downturned gladhands, this will probably go by the wayside in due time...I hope...for all you guys!!

We had our fleet manager or what ever his title is demonstrate how to over ride the 1 minute shutoff. While the warning light is flashing you push the clutch all the way and then you release it. Problem is on some of the new kenworths it doesn't work. Once the light starts flashing it is going to shut off no matter what you do. I was lucky enough to get to drive a new kw while my tractor was in the shop and if you take your eye off of that flashing light you miss it and it shuts off. I was more focused on that light opposed to the traffic light. And when I watched the traffic light the stupid thing shut off

chitownpeddler :1036316054:

Maybe you need to turn your head sideways a little bit and that way you can use one eye to look at the traffic light and the other eye to look at your idiot lights on the dash.

:hysterical:

my tractor now shuts down after 50 something second.

in order to save fuel they make the truck shut off ever minute and disable my cruise control.

isn't cruise the best way to save fuel?

btw i let the truck stall everytime all the money fedex saves on fuel will be put back into starters and batteries.

i also was reading the owners manaul on my tractor and it says to let the truck idle for 3 minutes before you shut the truck down so the turbo has proper cooling.i gues its cheaper to replace those to than to let the truck run.

pretty soon they will be taking the jump seats,radio,cb mounts,mud flaps,air condition units, power steering pumps,sun visors,tow hooks,window cranks,and rubber flooring out of the trucks to save weight to get an extra 1/4 mile out of every tank of fuel.