SEFL | 32 hrs a week

mikejones234

TB Lurker
Credits
We hired 5 p&d newbies back in the summer, now that the freight has slowed we are down to 30-32 hrs a week. I dont know why they hired the new drivers to start with, we had a meeting yesterday morning and that was the #1 topic. Maybe its a conspriacy to pay them less, since all the other drivers are at top pay.

We hired 5 p&d newbies back in the summer, now that the freight has slowed we are down to 30-32 hrs a week. I dont know why they hired the new drivers to start with, we had a meeting yesterday morning and that was the #1 topic. Maybe its a conspriacy to pay them less, since all the other drivers are at top pay.
Mikejones123, our terminal is the same. 4 day work week with no end in sight. P @ D drivers are the only division to bear the brunt of the "lack of work days" Yea, the economy sucks right now , but how come the only money making revenue generating department of this company is being restricted and cut??????? Why are the non revenue generating department's not also being reduced per day per hour. Leadership should also take a cut in pay just as i do. Reduced freight means reduced need for dock personnel, as does customer service. Less need for the amount of line haul shipments.....Why am I suffering a monetary hardship for the company when we are a team????? If the rest of the team shares my rewards why do they not share my hardships!!!!!!!

Mikejones123, our terminal is the same. 4 day work week with no end in sight. P @ D drivers are the only division to bear the brunt of the "lack of work days" Yea, the economy sucks right now , but how come the only money making revenue generating department of this company is being restricted and cut??????? Why are the non revenue generating department's not also being reduced per day per hour. Leadership should also take a cut in pay just as i do. Reduced freight means reduced need for dock personnel, as does customer service. Less need for the amount of line haul shipments.....Why am I suffering a monetary hardship for the company when we are a team????? If the rest of the team shares my rewards why do they not share my hardships!!!!!!!

i agree 100%, it does not make sense. I get tired of hearing the salesmen talk about going to nascar races with customers and all the bs. When Im struggling to make a living but today I made up my mind. I no longer care about numbers and efficency. I will cheat with the computer and stretch my stops out and go slow and take my time, so i can get 10-12 hrs per day. Why punish just the p&d drivers. I made the comment to my tm, that the combo drivers should not be working the dock at night. The should just be coming in and driving and looseing hours just like p&d. But no I'm not allowed to come in early and work inbound or outbound, but yet they will hire a part timer to work the dock. All i know there is gonna be less presents under the christmas tree this year.

time off

we are also still on a rotation scheduele. i am also tired of management not caring about our financial problems. what you hear from corporate is how they are pushing hard to get p&d their hours back. but i hear from local management is we should stop crying and learn how to budget our money better. all this from people who have not missed one days pay in the past 2 years. if we are that slow maybe the sales people can stay home one day . since our customers are also slow maybe we can do with one less sales person every day. since we leave as many as 15 drivers home everyday i am sure we need one less dispatcher . since we have as many as 15 drivers home everyday, and we can do with 1 less dispatcher , and can leave 1 sales person home everyday, i'm sure we can leave the assistant terminal manager home also. how come we are a team except when it comes to sharing the burden of tough times. how come we are a team except when it comes to sharing the bonuses management gets. don't get me wrong it is not the company's fault for the tough economic times we are in . but it is their fault by making only p&d pay the price.

A p&d driver at this company is a 5 digit employee number, you are nothing more. As long as you can make the deliveries and pick-ups, they could care less how you pay for your groceries or pay for your kids to go to college. Just today I saw a SEFL salesman walking into Outback steakhouse with some customers. What about that money for the tab, I wish i could afford to go to outback and eat.

we are also still on a rotation scheduele. i am also tired of management not caring about our financial problems. what you hear from corporate is how they are pushing hard to get p&d their hours back. but i hear from local management is we should stop crying and learn how to budget our money better. all this from people who have not missed one days pay in the past 2 years. if we are that slow maybe the sales people can stay home one day . since our customers are also slow maybe we can do with one less sales person every day. since we leave as many as 15 drivers home everyday i am sure we need one less dispatcher . since we have as many as 15 drivers home everyday, and we can do with 1 less dispatcher , and can leave 1 sales person home everyday, i'm sure we can leave the assistant terminal manager home also. how come we are a team except when it comes to sharing the burden of tough times. how come we are a team except when it comes to sharing the bonuses management gets. don't get me wrong it is not the company's fault for the tough economic times we are in . but it is their fault by making only p&d pay the price.

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!

i agree 100%, it does not make sense. I get tired of hearing the salesmen talk about going to nascar races with customers and all the bs. When Im struggling to make a living but today I made up my mind. I no longer care about numbers and efficency. I will cheat with the computer and stretch my stops out and go slow and take my time, so i can get 10-12 hrs per day. Why punish just the p&d drivers. I made the comment to my tm, that the combo drivers should not be working the dock at night. The should just be coming in and driving and looseing hours just like p&d. But no I'm not allowed to come in early and work inbound or outbound, but yet they will hire a part timer to work the dock. All i know there is gonna be less presents under the christmas tree this year.

This way of thinking seems to be the general train of thought at my terminal now. I think this way of thought is wrong but in desperate times, people do desperate actions for economic survival. And it won't end until all dept's in the company share the economic loss, not just the p@d's. Trust in leadership and morale is at an all time low and their non concerned approach to their bread and butter is sickening at best, we P@D, are their bread and butter!!!

morale

youre right about morale being at an all time low. but it is a quiet discontent. nobody is loud about it or really complains because of the corparate culture. they have a open door policy, but if you complain or make suggestions they do not like, or if you are percieved as making trouble then you are told if you have a problem working here than maybe you should look for a job elsewhere.
i have only been here a few years but i am allready looking to get out.

yes this company has an open door policy, but beware after you use that open door policy they will more than likely show you the door, it may take them a week or 2 but they will pull reports everyday and find a way to get rid of you. This company is very quick to fire a p&d driver for performance.

"No BONUS this year but you will get a BONER"

It like that all over I talked to some of your guys here in VA and they did the same thing as in putting on some new hires. Which in turn cut the hrs of the regular guys which is a managements ways of cutting the OT by bringing in extra man power or giving guys (4) 10's a week.

We had a few guys retire and they never replaced those guys but in a way it worked out for us for the time being as for getting all the time we want but that gets old after awhile.

As far as the management they are all salary so sitting them home benefits them anyway cause they will still get paid their weekly salary regardless.

If I was you I would watch the hrs of those new guys if they are getting more than you.

It like that all over I talked to some of your guys here in VA and they did the same thing as in putting on some new hires. Which in turn cut the hrs of the regular guys which is a managements ways of cutting the OT by bringing in extra man power or giving guys (4) 10's a week.

We had a few guys retire and they never replaced those guys but in a way it worked out for us for the time being as for getting all the time we want but that gets old after awhile.

As far as the management they are all salary so sitting them home benefits them anyway cause they will still get paid their weekly salary regardless.

If I was you I would watch the hrs of those new guys if they are getting more than you.

New guys at my barn are getting about 45 hrs a week , mean while the rest of us are struggling to get 40 hrs. They are sending most of us home when we get around 8 hrs. They are working the new guys longer because they can pay them less. Its a mind game.

New guys at my barn are getting about 45 hrs a week , mean while the rest of us are struggling to get 40 hrs. They are sending most of us home when we get around 8 hrs. They are working the new guys longer because they can pay them less. Its a mind game.

Something is wrong here MJ, how is it that jr men are being better taken care of than the regular more senior guys would be my issue. My hours and probably more pay the games people play.:realmad:

Something is wrong here MJ, how is it that jr men are being better taken care of than the regular more senior guys would be my issue. My hours and probably more pay the games people play.:realmad:

we had a meeting awhile back, my tm told us that senoirty has nothing to do with our job, we are all equal. i asked whats equal, i still havent got an answer. by the way wonder if we are getting that raise in december or is that just for the new guys, sense they get all the easy runs and drive the new tractors.

MJ how is that "we are all equal" concept fair to all the sweat, energy that the senior guys verses the news guys. Heck you probably got more miles backing up then the new guy has going forward. In their eyes you are only as good as your last hook & drop or until you mess up. Divide and conquer concept to keep disharmony between the work force is what they want.

MJ how is that "we are all equal" concept fair to all the sweat, energy that the senior guys verses the news guys. Heck you probably got more miles backing up then the new guy has going forward. In their eyes you are only as good as your last hook & drop or until you mess up. Divide and conquer concept to keep disharmony between the work force is what they want.

you are 100% right you are only good as your last delivery, and it only takes one mistake and your are in the office fighting for your job. they say this company is all about team work. I say what teamwork. Im on rotation again today just like i was monday, so that means ive worked 3 days this week, talk to other senior drivers this morning they are at the house. i went to wally world earlier this morning, seen a newbie running my route. Had the nerve to ask me for directions to a customer:hysterical:. I said see ya later:smilie_132:

This is a good discussion.

Why is it that when freight slows, it's the guys out on the street busting their asses and dealing with customers who get a short paycheck?

Does the TM get his salary cut? Instead of his $70,000 is he making $63,000 when the bill-count drops? No, I can guarantee you he's getting his $70K or whatever.

Under the National Master Freight Agreement (ala Yellow, Roadway, ABF) and also UPS Freight...those guys are GUARANTEED 40 hours per the contract.

And that's the way it should be because it prevents these companies from over-hiring.

:butt kiss:When it is busy they try to kill you with all the hours and can't get a day off, when its slow they try to starve you. But the weather turn cold and they need someone be sure as heck they will call you first to come in and work. Work the new guy and make him earn his keep but instead management will spoil those guys and when they complain they act as if they been there a long time....heres to you the new guy who gets his way with management, while I sit home :butt kiss::biglaugh:

this is a good discussion.

Why is it that when freight slows, it's the guys out on the street busting their asses and dealing with customers who get a short paycheck?

Does the tm get his salary cut? Instead of his $70,000 is he making $63,000 when the bill-count drops? No, i can guarantee you he's getting his $70k or whatever.

Under the national master freight agreement (ala yellow, roadway, abf) and also ups freight...those guys are guaranteed 40 hours per the contract.

And that's the way it should be because it prevents these companies from over-hiring.

you are very correct:1036316054: