Holland | 340 Laid off on Black Friday

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
I just received a call from someone on the outbound that said "they were just informed that 340 people system wide were being laid off effective tonight 03/14/08". They got 8 city and 4 road in LO. We now have a total of 17 city and 8 road on Lay off in LO. Good luck to everybody.

Coming back in april is not looking to god right now. THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO BLOW.

I don't know how it is other places but here in Georgia, the job market is really horrible for truck drivers. Don't get me wrong, if you want a job you can get one....at about .34 to .38 cents per mile with one of the truckload carriers. So, there is no danger of not being able to pay the bills but that sure is a lifestyle I am not looking forward to living again. You just don't know how much I don't want to hear "Shower # 4 is available" or "Your appointment is not until tomorrow so go find a place to park until then" or "The HHG says it is only 240 miles from AT to NA, not 286". We all did that at one time or another but I thought those days were behind me.
None of the LTL carriers in the ATL area is hiring and most of the private carriers are on hold as far as hiring goes.
Unemployment payments in GA. are better than some states but a whole lot worse than others.
I, like some others on this board, was looking for Holland to call back some road drivers in April but that sure looks like a long shot now.
I guess I will have to get serious about finding another GOOD company to go to work for. Good luck to everybody!

If this is not a big confidence booster. They do all this lay off garbage and then want you to have a positive attitude. Looks like I might have to get my membership back for the Rooster Cruiser club. :nutkick:

I have tried to have a positive attitude for a long time now. But attitude is all I have left after tonight. Maybe that stimulus packet check will save us all. Sometime in May is like that big announcement they are always going to make "Next month". Hope Zollars doesn't have any trouble sleeping tonight.

I dont understand why they are even thinking about hiring 4 hour casuals and then do this but then again I dont understand alot they do here at holland. I'm like you I hate to go back to living in a truck again but I just dont have a choice at this point I have bleed my savings account so bad that I got to do something, Ive been laid off now off and on sense sept. this time it has been for 8 straight weeks. Im not sure I'll even come back if they do call, I will get laid off again in sept. or oct.This job puts alot of stress on a family really more than its worth. Good luck to everybody and god bless all you and your familys

Guys unless they are planning on shutting the doors this will only last about three weeks. We are averaging high 30s to low 40s on overtime percentage. They will have to call guys back once the new contract takes effect.

Try to hang in there till you see the padlock on the gates. Just kidding

I have tried to have a positive attitude for a long time now. But attitude is all I have left after tonight. Maybe that stimulus packet check will save us all. Sometime in May is like that big announcement they are always going to make "Next month". Hope Zollars doesn't have any trouble sleeping tonight.

Thank your Amigos that voted yes.......I am sure Zollars does not have any trouble sleeping, the only thing that keeps waking him up is the ruffling of Ben Franklins he uses in his pillow case..........

Guys unless they are planning on shutting the doors this will only last about three weeks. We are averaging high 30s to low 40s on overtime percentage. They will have to call guys back once the new contract takes effect.

Try to hang in there till you see the padlock on the gates. Just kidding
Seriously, OB, your right. On April 1, We need to really start watching everyones O/T. If they let the O/T get over the 25% allowed, They will have to call people back. We will be asking our steward to get a weekly printout of our teminals O/T percentage. If the TM doesn't want to give it to him, the BA will get it. I doubt that they will police their O/T percentage on their own, so we will help. We owe this to our laid-off brothers.:1036316054:

O/T percentage

Seriously, OB, your right. On April 1, We need to really start watching everyones O/T. If they let the O/T get over the 25% allowed, They will have to call people back. We will be asking our steward to get a weekly printout of our teminals O/T percentage. If the TM doesn't want to give it to him, the BA will get it. I doubt that they will police their O/T percentage on their own, so we will help. We owe this to our laid-off brothers.:1036316054:

Holy smokes....25% O/T???? 9% is all they are comfortable with at FXFE. At least in my center.

We will have to watch the loads leaving out as well. I do not know what UE freight will be. but, they might only have a half trailer of it and try to fill it up with other freight heading that direction.

I think 53% OT is the record out of LO.
Thats the highest I heard.
53%!!! Wow. That's crazy. April 1, they are either to keep the O/T under 25% or they need to bring guys back of lay-off. There is a formula used to compute this. If our O/t went down to 9%, Michigan's ******* rate would rise!:hysterical:

I dont understand why they are even thinking about hiring 4 hour casuals and then do this but then again I dont understand alot they do here at holland.

One theory is that they'll work people only two days a week, Monday and Friday. Then they save on health and welfare since our new contract says in the Central States Area, you must have 3 paid days after 4/1/08. They'll make people get mad because they will only work them 2 days and they can make the same on unemployment minus the cost of driving to work and their own time. People will choose to go on the don't call list. While on the don't call list they'll still have to call you before they work casuals but if you refuse to work then they can work the 4 hour casuals in your place. YRC saves on the cost of H&W plus if you don't work they save the difference in the wages between regular and 4-hour casual pay. Thats just one theory, there are many others.

I just received a call from someone on the outbound that said "they were just informed that 340 people system wide were being laid off effective tonight 03/14/08". They got 8 city and 4 road in LO. We now have a total of 17 city and 8 road on Lay off in LO. Good luck to everybody.

Benny I do not know how many got layed off in the city system wide, But there was 83 road drivers system wide layed-off on Friday.

Benny I do not know how many got layed off in the city system wide, But there was 83 road drivers system wide layed-off on Friday.

Thanks for the info JJ, I don't know for sure how many either, thats just what I was told from a friend that was there when they told the outbound crew Friday night.