Holland | 340 Laid off on Black Friday

After they got rid of 8 more city guys last Friday the overtime numbers weren't all that bad for Monday. I was surprised that they were so low, the OT percentage was only 45%, lol. The loads of freight are lined up on the fence already, just another YRC mistake, again. Everybody laid off in LO get ready to come back to work unless they can find a loophole to break the new contract.

OVERTIME

A new formula for immediately recalling laid-off employees when the
number of overtime hours in a terminal exceeds a 25 percent weekly
threshold of total terminal hours worked.

85 people times 50 hours = 4250 hours
45% minus 25% = 20%
4250 hours times 20% = 850 hours
850 hours divided by 50 hours = 17 people
17 people laid off = 17 people called back

Simple huh?

$14 CASUALS

In the event a company recalls all workers on layoff and first works
casuals employed prior to April 1, 2008, it may ultimately utilize
some four-hour, $14 per hour dock casuals. In all likelihood, the
four-hour casual will not be used until the competitiveness of the
NMFA carriers improves. In addition, four-hour casuals are eligible
for all benefit contributions according to the applicable supplemental
agreement.

Source: http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Freight/2008NMFAnegotiations/pdfs/080111_nmfa_facts.pdf

"according to the applicable supplemental agrement" 4 hour casuals are eligible for all benefit contributions,,,, let me see? a 4 four u/e who does not recieve any benies... the company still contributes to the union pension plan in the casuals name, is that correct?

After they got rid of 8 more city guys last Friday the overtime numbers weren't all that bad for Monday. I was surprised that they were so low, the OT percentage was only 45%, lol. The loads of freight are lined up on the fence already, just another YRC mistake, again. Everybody laid off in LO get ready to come back to work unless they can find a loophole to break the new contract.

That why all TM'S went to Chicago on tues. to look for loopholes.

"according to the applicable supplemental agrement" 4 hour casuals are eligible for all benefit contributions,,,, let me see? a 4 four u/e who does not recieve any benies... the company still contributes to the union pension plan in the casuals name, is that correct?

there canNOT be a 4hr u/e!that is a bid job with an 8 hr. minny

Yes, Benny is correct! And there is no such thing a a 4 hour U/E. A U/E is a FULL time employee under the city classification. A FOUR HOUR CASUAL is seperate completely. The company is only obligated to work them four hours and for dock use ONLY. AND, YES..... The company DOES have to contribute every day that a 4 hour casual works.:1036316054:

The TM in LO said that line haul MIGHT be called back in June or July. Whats the point, I got laid off the 3rd of Sept. last year what are we going back to work and work 2 months and be laid off again for the year.WHAT A JOKE. I was told by a driver when I started, he said now that your in just hang in there it's like a game. WELL THIS GAME IS ABOUT OVER!!!!!! I simply cant afford to work here any longer!!!!!!!!

The TM in LO said that line haul MIGHT be called back in June or July. Whats the point, I got laid off the 3rd of Sept. last year what are we going back to work and work 2 months and be laid off again for the year.WHAT A JOKE. I was told by a driver when I started, he said now that your in just hang in there it's like a game. WELL THIS GAME IS ABOUT OVER!!!!!! I simply cant afford to work here any longer!!!!!!!!

holland will NEED us laid-off drivers in june -july when the REGULAR drivers are on vacation

iam with you 7ft,its almost over for me to.doesnt matter what kind of money and bennies we have if you dont get to work. even if i could get by on unemployment i would have to work 20 weeks for it to start again..not sure i would get that, layed off 11/30/07.iam enjoying march madness though!!!!

I understand how you feel. But, this is exactly what they want. They would love for us to give up and go somewhere else. For every man that does that... That is another 4 hr casual they can hire in your spot.
If they are not planning on shutting the doors. This has got to turn around. Hopefuly pretty soon. If there is anyway possible..Try to hang in there. Again. Good luck guys

Number one, I don't know why you would believe anything that the TM in LO says? He told people in the city on layoff last year that they should crossover to Line-haul if they wanted to get called back at Holland. He told them they probably wouldn't be called back at all in the city and that was their only chance of working at all. Then after some of them gave up their city seniority, we have city and road boards in LO, all of the remaining city men in LO were called back a week later. Some stayed on the road board and some crossed back over to the city and lost several spots on the list. Do yourself a favor and make your decision on what you need to do without listening to someone that has proved himself as to not being correct with his statements to us in the past. If you have ever watched a John Wayne western, the Indians always referred to this type of person as "speaking with forked tongue."

Number two, if things don't change very soon, like many others have said we won't be around anyway. Like OB said hang in there if you can and wait it out. It has to go one way or another, soon.

I understand how you feel. But, this is exactly what they want. They would love for us to give up and go somewhere else. For every man that does that... That is another 4 hr casual they can hire in your spot.
If they are not planning on shutting the doors. This has got to turn around. Hopefuly pretty soon. If there is anyway possible..Try to hang in there. Again. Good luck guys

I'm not going to quit I'm just going to move on and when they send a letter then I will decide but as for now in my mind they dont even exist. Not even worrying about it anymore! Good luck to everybody.:smilie_132:

The bad news continues at SB, 2 more city men were laid off at the end of their shift friday. That makes a total of 10 laid off in city!
With the many members that have retired this last 2 years, it has kept the number of laid off down. 2 years ago there was 147 men on city board, now there are 95 active.
But to make up for the loss of men on cleanup shift, the company has changed the start times on the last 3 shifts, making them the last 2 shifts, and making the men stay untill all freight is loaded. All that adds is more OT on the shifts that were combined!
Hopefully after April 1 the OT numbers will be excessive and the laid off will be recalled!

You know, everyone wonders why the company pays so much overtime, instead of calling city guys back. They have to pay the union almost $500 a week, per employee, towards health and welfare. The overtime is cheaper.

You know, everyone wonders why the company pays so much overtime, instead of calling city guys back. They have to pay the union almost $500 a week, per employee, towards health and welfare. The overtime is cheaper.

Is it cheaper? When you consider everything I don't think it is, boss. When a person has to work that much OT that person really don't care if the freight gets loaded correctly, if it gets loaded damage free, how much work they do because they know no matter how hard they work they aren't going home anyway. The fatigue factor alone is enough reason to work more people less hours if for no other reason. When you're tired you make mistakes and if you're very tired you just don't care because you're to tired too. There are so many reasons to work people less hours that I could go on for hours about why, but it probably wouldn't matter to you, just keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Is it cheaper? When you consider everything I don't think it is, boss. When a person has to work that much OT that person really don't care if the freight gets loaded correctly, if it gets loaded damage free, how much work they do because they know no matter how hard they work they aren't going home anyway. The fatigue factor alone is enough reason to work more people less hours if for no other reason. When you're tired you make mistakes and if you're very tired you just don't care because you're to tired too. There are so many reasons to work people less hours that I could go on for hours about why, but it probably wouldn't matter to you, just keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Benny, you are right....but not right also. The corporate bean counters don't look at the long term, only the next report to the stock holders.
Absolutely in the long run good service and tender loving care for the freight is the way to go. In the short run, not paying the H&W, pension, etc. is the way to pump up the bottom line. Why should corporate higher ups be concerned with the long term? Even if the stockholders and the board "fire" them, their severance and stock options ensure that they will never need to file for unemployment. If short-sightedness keeps them around for another year, they personally benefit by MILLIONS of dollars. Corporate types never have the same goals or outlook as the people that start a company.
I have been thru this cycle twice already, once when Kresge became Kmart and again when Spartan became part of Roadway. When the people who measure success by dollars earned in each year rather than the long term health of the company take control, it is only a matter of time before the decline sets in.

Benny, you are right....but not right also. The corporate bean counters don't look at the long term, only the next report to the stock holders.
Absolutely in the long run good service and tender loving care for the freight is the way to go. In the short run, not paying the H&W, pension, etc. is the way to pump up the bottom line. Why should corporate higher ups be concerned with the long term? Even if the stockholders and the board "fire" them, their severance and stock options ensure that they will never need to file for unemployment. If short-sightedness keeps them around for another year, they personally benefit by MILLIONS of dollars. Corporate types never have the same goals or outlook as the people that start a company.
I have been thru this cycle twice already, once when Kresge became Kmart and again when Spartan became part of Roadway. When the people who measure success by dollars earned in each year rather than the long term health of the company take control, it is only a matter of time before the decline sets in.

I still think I'm correct about what I posted. I all so agree about what you posted completely. I spoke about common sense and you spoke about reality. The way it is in the real world is very rarely the way it should be, I think we all agree about that. Everybody knows what the companies do but very few of us understand why, I believe its all about money. Those that have it and those that don't all want more, period. But as I said before, I agree with what you said I just don't like it being the way it is.