XPO | 3rd Quarter Results

How much cheaper the insurance is supposed to be vs the fine we will not know till 2014, or later. The plan is supposed to bring down costs dramatically since the whole country will now be insured, and the uninsured aren't killing the system by getting healthcare, then mot paying for it. Those losses don't go away, they get passed onto the ones who do pay for insurance. I'm sure they evaluated the fine vs expected insurance costs when it is fully enacted.

The fine or "penalty" as its called, is $2000 per employee for companies who have more than 50 employees. Plus, when they cut you, it also includes any dependents you carry. I.E. spouse, children. $2000 is a deal, not a penalty.

How much cheaper the insurance is supposed to be vs the fine we will not know till 2014, or later. The plan is supposed to bring down costs dramatically since the whole country will now be insured, and the uninsured aren't killing the system by getting healthcare, then mot paying for it. Those losses don't go away, they get passed onto the ones who do pay for insurance. I'm sure they evaluated the fine vs expected insurance costs when it is fully enacted.

I appreciate what you're saying, but it's like the price of gasoline, it's being held high on purpose and we have eventually gotten used to the price. I remember here a couple of weeks ago the price of gas went down to $2.99 here in the Atlanta area and people were commenting on how cheap gas was! Once people get used to an elevated price, price can be kept high because that's what people are used to paying. Trust me, those doctors and hospitals aren't going to lower their costs just because "everyone's insured".

They used to pay us a opt..out of there insurance program .$700.00,,,,but this is one of the many programs they took away.!,,

The fine or "penalty" as its called, is $2000 per employee for companies who have more than 50 employees. Plus, when they cut you, it also includes any dependents you carry. I.E. spouse, children. $2000 is a deal, not a penalty.

A deal? Not compared to the fine right now, or in past years.

They could have cut our benefits out for free last year, yet they didn't. Why would they do it once there was a fine involved?

And how much talent do you think Con-Way could count on retaining if they stopped offering quality medical care? No pension, no benefits, why would people stay if they could find a better deal somewhere else?

With potential savings around $10k per employee paying the "fine" and sending us to find our own insurance through a coop could hypothetically put a lot of money in someone's pockets that most likely won't be blue collar peeps. All hypothetically speaking of coarse.

They could have cut our benefits out for free last year, yet they didn't. Why would they do it once there was a fine involved?

And how much talent do you think Con-Way could count on retaining if they stopped offering quality medical care? No pension, no benefits, why would people stay if they could find a better deal somewhere else?

Cause they know you can get it through the state exchanges and employees' whining and moaning will be nonexistent. You should reach your own statement. No 401k, no pension, lost vacation time, no complaining. Why keep providing healthcare? No one will complain, they didn't from the other takebacks. Go get it from your state government.
As far as talent, well that's mostly non-existent at my place as well.

With potential savings around $10k per employee paying the "fine" and sending us to find our own insurance through a coop could hypothetically put a lot of money in someone's pockets that most likely won't be blue collar peeps. All hypothetically speaking of coarse.

We have a winner.........
Have to take care of the precious shareholders and that little thing called ghetto bottom line.

The price of fuel is mostly set by traders on wall st, and alot of that price point is set by speculation. Since there is not as much certainty in the future of fossil fuels with all the green energy talks etc, less investors are buying up oil futures. Otherwise fuel would be $8 a gallon right now if they knew fossil fuels are gonna still be what fuels this world in the future.
With healthcare, there's going to be 50 million new customers being injected into the system. To be able to meet that demand there will be alot more hospitals and doctors offices being built, which creates more competition. Those hospitals will make more money from sheer volume and never have to worry about someone not paying their hospital bills(which is a huge factor in healthcare costs).
I have read that a family can pick up a plan worth $12k for $2200 from these exchanges. How they came up with that price point, I don't know, but if ends up being true, the couple hundred dollars conway would save would just open them up to an angry workforce that unionization will sound more apealing to. Wages and benifets are another thing these companies compete with eacother on. If they fall to far behind, they will be hurting themselves.

I also forgot to mention there are also provisions in the bill that regulate how much an insurance company has to spend on healthcare, so they can't cut corners or raise prices for larger shareholder returns and bonuses for execs.

It didn't have to be this way, we didn't have to re-elect the Bamster, but we did and now we're stuck with his ideas of what is best for us. All the complaining in the world will change nothing, and to those of you who helped re-elect the SOB, well you got what you asked for, so stop biatching and suck it up. Perhaps next time you will make better choices at the ballot box.

Because there's no place else to go. Where are any of us going to go in a saturated LTL market in a slow growing economy? The reason why they would wait to cut the benefits is that they know there would be a line outside the IBT local if they did. If they wait until our backs are against the wall, then they can get away with it.

Ok let's look at this another way. When was the last time the company did the right thing for their employees compensation? In my opinion past performance shines a light on future performance.