XPO | 401 k

"Themselves" being the shareholders. And upper management. In the past few years that the profits where slim to none Con-way and some union LTL's used the lower employees as a sacrifice. They cut pay , they cut benefits , they cut hours , they cut miles.

And just like the gas station on the corner that always has a good reason why the price spikes up , when that reason is gone the price doesn't go down as fast.

In the case of LTL's and Con-way in particular , the alleged reason for the cuts in pay and benefits has passed , yet Con-way and other LTL's seem to have NO intention of restoring pay and bennies to where they used to be.

You are right , the change is motivated by desire for more profit , and what my family or any of your families may need is a necessary "evil".

You say restore the pay to where it used to be?? Our pay was restored...we've even had a raise. What do you want to go back to the pay from 5 years ago? What do you mean restore the pay?

CF management wanted to break the union so they found a way to close it down.

That's called capitalism. That's why I don't want this company to be union. They'll find a way to shut it down too. If I wanted to worry about that, then I would go to work for ABF.

Honestly, I was expecting a different reply from you. I am surprised. I agree.

I have seen a message on the side of trailers (I don't remember the company) That says "OUR GREATEST ASSET SITS xx FEET AHEAD" with a red arrow going up to the tractor. I can see Con-Way doing the same thing, but, the arrow going to the tires and the fuel tank.

But, going back to the original thought on the thread, I wish that the company would re-instate the benefits that you had when you started here. 401K contributions, pension ect. I lost a lot and my retirement future. I also lost a lot of money with all of their cuts,but management keeps theirs. Is it fair? NO, but who's company is it? Not mine.

CF management wanted to break the union so they found a way to close it down.

They're not the first. Years ago, TIME-DC drivers threatened to strike. Management told them they would shut it down. Drivers struck, and management shut it down. The last I heard (years ago), TIME-DC was still in business...as a property management company.

Called corporate benefits office while I was on lunch to check out why as a transfer employee I had never received anything in the 401 Eden though our personnel mgr assured me at my transfer that I would be receiving 3%. Either he was misinformed or out and out lied to me. When I transferred I was considered a "rehire" and thus not eligible for anything in my 401. Nice of them since they said they were going to address the new hire 401 issue 2nd quarter of last year.

That's called capitalism. That's why I don't want this company to be union. They'll find a way to shut it down too. If I wanted to worry about that, then I would go to work for ABF.

You're missing a point, CF was no longer a part of the parent company (CNF) when it shut down. The parent company had renamed CF into CF motor freight and spun it off as a separate entity 3 years before it floundered.

You're missing a point, CF was no longer a part of the parent company (CNF) when it shut down. The parent company had renamed CF into CF motor freight and spun it off as a separate entity 3 years before it floundered.
I know they were separate. I'm surprised you say that, most people say that conway shut them down. Which is not true.
Sucks about the retirement money. They should give it to you.

Honestly, I was expecting a different reply from you. I am surprised. I agree.

I have seen a message on the side of trailers (I don't remember the company) That says "OUR GREATEST ASSET SITS xx FEET AHEAD" with a red arrow going up to the tractor. I can see Con-Way doing the same thing, but, the arrow going to the tires and the fuel tank.

But, going back to the original thought on the thread, I wish that the company would re-instate the benefits that you had when you started here. 401K contributions, pension ect. I lost a lot and my retirement future. I also lost a lot of money with all of their cuts,but management keeps theirs. Is it fair? NO, but who's company is it? Not mine.
that would be Crete Carrier... I've often wondered if conway was going to do that. Put the arrow on the back box, pointing to the front box..

I know they were separate. I'm surprised you say that, most people say that conway shut them down. Which is not true.

I'm a reader. I think I'm one of the 5 employees company-wide that actually read that "History of Con-way" coffee table book. I wanted to know what I was getting into when I transferred. I appreciate the sentiment about the retirement money, I just wish that the folks that had a say in it agreed with you.

Which brings me to my point though, when they spun CF off they had an ltl to fall back on... us. They wouldn't shut us down, the cost of getting back into the ltl market would be staggering, just in infrastructure. And I don't think the Feds or someone, anyone for that matter would stand for them firing all of us and then starting back up with the same terminals, same trucks, different name. I may be wrong but there just seems like there would be something illegal about that.

Which brings me to my point though, when they spun CF off they had an ltl to fall back on... us. They wouldn't shut us down, the cost of getting back into the ltl market would be staggering, just in infrastructure. And I don't think the Feds or someone, anyone for that matter would stand for them firing all of us and then starting back up with the same terminals, same trucks, different name. I may be wrong but there just seems like there would be something illegal about that.

Werner did it. I can't remember the previous name. But yeah. They can do that.

Remember Con-Way Eastern Express?

I'll give you that, but that had been penn yan express and it was suffering financially to begin with. That was also at the beginning of the con-way experience. If they ever shut us down they'd be stuck with 365 pieces of property nationwide that they would continue to pay taxes on, or I guess try to sell. Also, word travels fast in the trucking industry. If they shut down a profitable freight outfit simply to avoid the union, they might have a one finding folks to power their fleet. As I've said over and over I don't want the union. Equal the pay structure (not necessarily the scale) and give us a chance to work (reduction of ridiculous subservice) then I think we'd have a better place to work and I'd be happy.

They're not the first. Years ago, TIME-DC drivers threatened to strike. Management told them they would shut it down. Drivers struck, and management shut it down. The last I heard (years ago), TIME-DC was still in business...as a property management company.

Review post #24.

The laws have all changed. They just cant shut it down because your wanting to form a union. It's illegal. besides why would you shut down a profitable company?? nobody is being shut down. There are billions of dollars invested here via the stock market. The share holders would have dougies head on a platter. He would probably go to jail for something like that. He's not going to miss his bonus.

There are billions of dollars invested here via the stock market. The share holders would have dougies head on a platter..

Dougie is the biggest individual shareholder. Upper management and the board of directors own a lot of shares. Institutional investors own 86% and they go along with the board. The general public only owns about 12% of the shares. I don't own any.

Last edited by a moderator:

The laws have all changed. They just cant shut it down because your wanting to form a union. It's illegal. besides why would you shut down a profitable company?? nobody is being shut down. There are billions of dollars invested here via the stock market. The share holders would have dougies head on a platter. He would probably go to jail for something like that. He's not going to miss his bonus.

This proves my point, there are a lot of drivers around here scared to death to push back against management in regards to pay, vacation, retirement, general work treatment, etc because if that dreaded u word is mentioned the world is gonna end and the place will shut down tomorrow. It's not going to happen, so lets use what leverage we have to make this a better place for all of us. I'm not asking for the moon, I want the company to remain profitable and healthy for years to come for all of us. But you have to admit, this company wouldn't be where it is without us. Those in charge should well remember that. You get what you pay for, and if this company wants to be the best as they keep saying, it needs to be shown in our compensation and treatment.

Dougie is the biggest individual shareholder. Upper management and the board of directors own a lot of shares. Institutional investors own 86% and they go along with the board. The general public only owns about 12% of the shares. I don't own any.

It is called "buying" your position....regardless of whether you are qualified to occupy said position or not.

Doug isn't.

He has been unilaterally with malice, piece by piece, dismantling the early promises made by Detter and others regarding the retirement benefits offered to the early adopters.

He has blamed it on Dave Mc...FatBeard, and of course John L, when all the while it was the Dougie calling the shots. Blaming others puts him in the clear.,,NOT!!!

Doug S. is a self righteous, self serving, money grubbing bastard who has absolutely no regard for the ramifications the employees suffer at the hands of his 'leadership'.

This has been going on for years...and is going to continue for a long time.

Tighten up your resume and get out while you can. Forewarned is forearmed...is is NEVER going to get better...regardless of the corporate drivel eschewed from AA.

They are all puppets!

Rat

Oh Yeah...I almost forget.

..."WE"RE BACK!!!...where did Dougie think it went?.

Short answer,,,nowhere...Dougie used some favorable financial news to make ludicrous and undocumented claims...looked good on Transportation Topics...no one else bought it.

Rat