Holland | 5 Reasons to Join the Union

tsr

TB Lurker
Credits
Over the years I've had the opportunity to take to non-union drivers and have answered their curiosity why join the union here is my response
==========================================================
1. Protection against unfair treatment at work
You have the right to be treated with fairness and respect at work. Unions campaign to maintain your workplace rights. Unions provide expert advice and assistance to members on:

* Wages
* Hours of Work
* Working Conditions
* Health and Safety issues
* Workers' compensation
* Superannuation
* Training and Education

2. Workplace health and safety
The number one priority of unions is to ensure the safety of their members at work. Evidence shows that union representation makes a difference. Having union members in the workplace increases Health and Safety awareness by up to 70%.

3. Better wages, better conditions
Union members earn on average $109 a week more than non-union employees. Union members also get better sick leave and holiday leave entitlements and are more likely to receive long service leave and paid maternity leave. Union members are better trained, have better working conditions, more job security and work fewer hours.

4. Membership benefits
Union membership can save you money and offers benefits from cheap home loans to discount consumer goods. Membership is fully tax deductible. For more information visit memberconnect.

5. Help get better workplace laws
Unions want a fair system of workplace laws such as:

* Protection from unfair dismissal
* A strong safety net for all Australians
* Collective agreements when workers want one
* Penalty rates, overtime, public holidays, redundancy pay and work allowances
* Regular and fair setting of the minimum wage

Over the years I've had the opportunity to take to non-union drivers and have answered their curiosity why join the union here is my response
You have the right to be treated with fairness and respect at work. Unions campaign to maintain your workplace rights. Unions provide expert advice and assistance to members on:

* Wages
* Hours of Work
* Working Conditions
* Workers' compensation
* Superannuation
* Training and Education

The number one priority of unions is to ensure the safety of their members at work. Evidence shows that union representation makes a difference. Having union members in the workplace increases Health and Safety awareness by up to 70%.

Union members earn on average $109 a week more than non-union employees. Union members also get better sick leave and holiday leave entitlements and are more likely to receive long service leave and paid maternity leave. Union members are better trained, have better working conditions, more job security and work fewer hours.

4. Membership benefits
Union membership can save you money and offers benefits from cheap home loans to discount consumer goods. Membership is fully tax deductible. For more information visit memberconnect.

This is all true when you have proper representation.

It still amazes me that when I talk to a company brainwashed, anti-union guy, I can't get them to grasp the fact that if the unions didn't exist, he wouldn't be making nearly what he is now. Do they really think they are paying him that much because they like him, or that he does a good job, or that they want to spread the wealth around? No, they pay him a decent wage because they have to be somewhat competitive to get a halfway decent employee. If nothing else, this should be fairly obvious to all non-union people in any field. In this respect, the unions help even those that are against them.

It still amazes me that when I talk to a company brainwashed, anti-union guy, I can't get them to grasp the fact that if the unions didn't exist, he wouldn't be making nearly what he is now. Do they really think they are paying him that much because they like him, or that he does a good job, or that they want to spread the wealth around? No, they pay him a decent wage because they have to be somewhat competitive to get a halfway decent employee. If nothing else, this should be fairly obvious to all non-union people in any field. In this respect, the unions help even those that are against them.
Good post! Also, the non-union guys should be grateful for our (union) wages and benefits because it forces their companies to keep their package competive with ours, or it would encourage their employees to organize. Most of our anti-union guys just can't see past the TM's butt cheeks to realize what the union has done for them in the past.

* Wages
* Hours of Work
* Working Conditions
* Workers' compensation
* Superannuation
* Training and Education

4. Membership benefits

You forgot number 6 the most important one "the best contract ever"

I try to show my support

I have tried to show my support for the union but i find it harder and harder when i see other members and i dont get the same repesentaion as some. I work for usf in kck, we have employees that arent qualifyed and been in several fights on the job while those who work their tail off are on layoff or on call and still not working, 95% of us have talked to local 41 about the unfair labor practices, and filed greavinces but nothing has changed we have even contacted the IBT. I just find it sad that are own union dont follow the NMFA, I was told how great the union was when I was a kid and proud to finally be a member. I am trying to stick it out hopeing for a change for the better anyone have any ideas. Now local 41 agrees with the members that are being unjustified which is 95% of us but, they tell us there is nothing they can do since those who are above and beyond the contract are being repesented by their family and freinds that are above the local. usf is getting away with creating unfair labor practices and there are union officails allowing it. I apologize to those who think im bashing on the union, im not just would like every one to be treated fairly with the same respect were supposed to be a brotherhood and at this point time i dont feel like it is.

Brotherhood vanishing!!

I have tried to show my support for the union but i find it harder and harder when i see other members and i dont get the same repesentaion as some. I work for usf in kck, we have employees that arent qualifyed and been in several fights on the job while those who work their tail off are on layoff or on call and still not working, 95% of us have talked to local 41 about the unfair labor practices, and filed greavinces but nothing has changed we have even contacted the IBT. I just find it sad that are own union dont follow the NMFA, I was told how great the union was when I was a kid and proud to finally be a member. I am trying to stick it out hopeing for a change for the better anyone have any ideas. Now local 41 agrees with the members that are being unjustified which is 95% of us but, they tell us there is nothing they can do since those who are above and beyond the contract are being repesented by their family and freinds that are above the local. usf is getting away with creating unfair labor practices and there are union officails allowing it. I apologize to those who think im bashing on the union, im not just would like every one to be treated fairly with the same respect were supposed to be a brotherhood and at this point time i dont feel like it is.

Hi budlight, I feel your pain and if you are waiting for things to change, well, they are not. I have been in the IBT for many years and this is the worst that I have seen it and there is no change in sight, selfishness and disrespect by some of our so called "brothers", "brothers who abuse their seniority, "brothers" who speed up and down the dock killing the job, "brothers" who have to have their sixty hours no matter how many people are laid off, I mean I could go on and on but it would take too long.

But the "brothers" you have to watch for the most are the ones that are preaching "brotherhood", they are false prophets because they don't know the meaning of real "brotherhood", they, for the most part, are looking after themselves.

Budlight you don't owe anyone an apology if anything the UNION owes you an apology for misrepresenting themselves. So there you have it in a nut shell, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, YOU are not alone.

To quote one of my favorite philosophers and I hope I do him justice, "My interest in "issues" is merely to point out how badly we are doing, not to suggest a way we might do better. My motto: F*** Hope!" George Carlin. Good Luck to you.:1036316054:

GBA:USA:

Lumper( I am in your corner)sam

But the "brothers" you have to watch for the most are the ones that are preaching "brotherhood", they are false prophets because they don't know the meaning of real "brotherhood", they, for the most part, are looking after themselves.

Not quite true.
The Brothers you have to watch, are the ones who you never hear from and never see at the monthly union meetings when things are good for them.
When things don't go their way they cry the loudest and get on public forums and talk about how bad the Teamsters suck so the already brain washed non union boys & girls can read it, which helps keep them non union (they love anything negative because it prevents them from seeing anything positive)and will eventually lead to our demise.
Then we will all see what its like to work in an all non union environment.

non union enviroment what do you think we are now im not afraid to tell any one how i fell who i am or where i live im tired of fighting for something that was once good and not now, any one got an idea tell me, brotherhood we all need need to stick together, public forum i have filed charges with the IBT and when I was working I was fighting for those who were laid off still am and now im one of those people, my name is ROBERT WALKER at the kck usf holland number is 913-287-1770 now is the time to get together or those good paying jobs are gone my local is the 41 816-924-2000 scott davis Im tired of games how many of you are.

non union enviroment what do you think we are now im not afraid to tell any one how i fell who i am or where i live im tired of fighting for something that was once good and not now, any one got an idea tell me, brotherhood we all need need to stick together, public forum i have filed charges with the IBT and when I was working I was fighting for those who were laid off still am and now im one of those people, my name is ROBERT WALKER at the kck usf holland number is 913-287-1770 now is the time to get together or those good paying jobs are gone my local is the 41 816-924-2000 scott davis Im tired of games how many of you are.

I feel your pain budlight, but if you set down and think about it you will see what the problem is.
How many union freight lines are there compared to non union. At one time we out numbered them and were strong. It's not that way now. no strength no power.
If you want to point the finger at something then point it towards the sector that is bringing us down (NON UNION).
That is what’s wrong with this industry and all the whining and crying about how bad our union sucks doesn't help. It's part of the problem.
You just said we need to stick together and bashed the union at the same time. I don't understand how we can ever stick together or organize the non union side with statements like that.

I feel your pain budlight, but if you set down and think about it you will see what the problem is.
How many union freight lines are there compared to non union. At one time we out numbered them and were strong. It's not that way now. no strength no power.
If you want to point the finger at something then point it towards the sector that is bringing us down (NON UNION).
That is what’s wrong with this industry and all the whining and crying about how bad our union sucks doesn't help. It's part of the problem.
You just said we need to stick together and bashed the union at the same time. I don't understand how we can ever stick together or organize the non union side with statements like that.

How about pointing the finger at DEREGULATION!

How about pointing the finger at DEREGULATION!

You sir are absolutly 100% correct! :1036316054:
It still doesn't make it right to bad mouth the union. We are our own worse enemy.

Along with all our griping and managements anti union garbage, its no wonder the non union bunch wants no part of the Teamsters.

You sir are absolutely 100% correct! :1036316054:
It still doesn't make it right to bad mouth the union. We are our own worse enemy.

Along with all our griping and managements anti union garbage, its no wonder the non union bunch wants no part of the Teamsters.
Good point murphyslaw. I would like to see the Teamsters focus MORE on the non-union trucking companies, instead of every other line of work that you can think of. Then we could add to the list of UNION companies. I haven't heard of very many organizing victories lately. (UPSF was handed to the union not fought for through efforts.)