5 Surprising Things You Didn't Know About the Dollar Store

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by Road Dust, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Road Dust

Road Dust Sunshine

2. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

i swear by my mother's eye's....

i have never been in the "Dollar Store"....

we have (in New England) Ocean State Job Lot, which i cannot say is like The Dollar Store, because they sell items much more than a dollar, and if you see it today, you had better buy it today. and even this store, if i go into one, once every 2 years, that's huge time shopping for me..!!

i think the "idea" behind the Dollar Store is NOT that they have items that sell for one dollar, but instead you PAY for everything in one dollar bills..!!

3. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Professional Flummoxer

Along with Dollar Stores we have one called 5 Below. Everyting is $5 dollars or less. They have a good selection running from kids stuff to small electronics such as chargers, computer cables, speakers for phones and tablets.

4. Road Dust

Road Dust Sunshine

It seems like there are tons of spin off companies from the dollar store. I have seen a few like "dollar tree" and others that I have never been in. I do like "dollar general" though. Only probably is that they are limited in what they offer, and I hate to go to several stores to get what I need/want.

5. RacerX69

RacerX69 Retired Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired/Wingnut

Inflation.

6. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

dollar general is good for the cleaners they sell ....awesome is the best cleaner...works great for your steering wheel as a general cleaner. ..for a buck a bottle

7. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I use Clorox wipes for the wheel as I drive a different truck every night, so I wipe off the booger picken ass/nut scratchin, non hand washin germs off from the route driver before, some of our guys are flat nasty! I get em in a 3 pack at WM.

Be careful at Dollar General, Family Dollar, Freds, ect., some of the stuff they sell can actually be had at WM cheaper, some can't, just keep your eyes open, for instance, ketchup 16oz at DG for $1.50 may be had at WM for a buck, just because its at a store like DG don't mean it can't be had cheaper elsewhere.

8. othertrucker2001

You have never shopped with my wife. Her purse is the size of a soldiers duffle bag from 1972. She carries 63 pounds of change with her at all times. Cashiers will beat each othet down to run from their registers when she mskes that final turn towards the checkout. Lol.

9. 1tt1

1tt1 Active Member

I had a Dollar Tree load once. Had 3 pickups in the Chicago area...all three were warehouses that specialized in product overruns and discontinued items...

10. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

There's a $.99 cent store in Hesperia, California and most Items ARE $.99 cents (b4 taxes). It's a large brand name food store and many items are International and not available at some International food stores elsewhere, like in Greensboro, NC.

I prefer DOLGEN to wail-mart simply for the CONVENIENCE of getting in and out QUICKLY.

There is (or was) a "Everything is a Dollar" store in 4 Seasons Mall, Greensboro, NC and EVERYTHING IS A DOLLAR (or was).

Family DOLLAR has nothing compared to DOLGEN.

I'm so done with wail-mart, although some locations are still viable options for parking CMVs, just NOT shopping.

CHEERS!!

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Well-Known Member

I worked at the Family Dollar distribution center for 3 days...it was a freakin sweat shop!!

12. Freight Train

Freight Train Cheap Dumb Labor

I buy a lot of stuff for my truck at Dollar General or Family Dollar. Window cleaner, paper towels, rags, micro fiber cleaning towels, detailing brushes and cheap floor mats. They usually have what I need, it's on my way, and it saves me from driving 20+ miles to Wal-Mart.

13. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

I see your point and raise it by I apply my own all of the above before I get out.

14. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

i wish NOT to shop with ANY woman...

i go in, get what i want, pay for it, then get the hell outta there, faster than you can say...."GT delivers groceries..GT deliver's groceries"....

and what pray-tell is wrong with "booger pickens'...???

they provide "grip" to the wheel...!!!

15. RacerX69

RacerX69 Retired Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired/Wingnut

Men are hunters. They choose to not waste time shopping, as there are much more important things to do, like drink beer. So men get in, get what they need, and get back to the things that really matter.

Women however, graze. To them, the ritual of getting provisions dates back to the days of the cave dwellers. Think about it. Women make a production out of everything.

Like bathing.

A guy can get in and out of a shower in a few minutes.

A girl might in a bath for an hour. Draw the water, get the temp just so, add some of that foofy bath stuff, light some candles, dim the lights. Its more than just getting clean.

16. othertrucker2001

Only after they dry.