ODFL | 500 more jobless

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
Central North Carolina will lose 500 MORE manufacturing jobs in the next couple of months.3 companys shutting down.The industrial sections of my city look like a ghost town now.Fewer customers,less freight.Local dispatchers/p&d drivers/dockmen look after the freight you have,that freight pays your bills.The big boys have money,they'll always have money.Your income comes by the hour moving freight.No freight,no hours,no money.I know there's a communication problem between dispatchers and drivers,always has been,but fellas keep on and you'll be in that grave you're digging.And dockmen.....look after the freight,handle it with care,get a good count and load it so you'll have no damages.You probably won't get any recognition for your work but at least you'll have a job to b*t*h about.

The jobless figure for the 3 companys is now 635.Of those 425 jobs are going to Mexico and Asia never to return.

yea all this sucks the big one

They say other companys are coming in and these jobless can be trained to fall into those positions.Too little,too late.When all these companys that have gone were rockin and rollin O.D. had them covered.I remember local drivers spending the day just switching out trailers with the customers,all day long,every day.Now trailers are dropped to be filled instead of bringing an empty and taking a full one back.

I have never been one to worry about the economy losing jobs. Or the importance of buying American made I always thought it was a pride thing.

But one day it hit me, and I don't think most people look at it this way.

Money follows the freight in reverse.

When we have manafacturing here. And we buy somthing at the store that money goes back into our economy it travels from us, to the store we bought it at, to the manafacture, to the employees that made it. The employees use that money to buy there goods and pay there mortgage. It is a never ending cycle the same money keeps changing hands.

But now with the manafacturing once you buy somthing from overseas that money never returns the cycle is broken.

I think there will be some serious long term effects becuase of this.

I have never been one to worry about the economy losing jobs. Or the importance of buying American made I always thought it was a pride thing.

But one day it hit me, and I don't think most people look at it this way.

Money follows the freight in reverse.

When we have manafacturing here. And we buy somthing at the store that money goes back into our economy it travels from us, to the store we bought it at, to the manafacture, to the employees that made it. The employees use that money to buy there goods and pay there mortgage. It is a never ending cycle the same money keeps changing hands.

But now with the manafacturing once you buy somthing from overseas that money never returns the cycle is broken.

I think there will be some serious long term effects becuase of this.

I believe the effects are about here.On top of that what's going to happen when all the military across the water muster out and start job hunting ?

does anyone else remember when a manufacturing job was a good job? i'm only 25 and i certainly can....it was not that long ago. now the few true production plants left in the U.S. do not pay their workers very well. i for one, would rather spend $200 on a pair of jeans that were made here in the good ol' U.S. of A., than spend less for a pair that was made somewhere else.

We can talk until we're blue in the face about buying American made and keeping the money in our great country. The one thing I don't see or hear about when this subject comes up is that our government is taxing American companies so much that they don't have much of a choice except to go else where to manufacture products. Yes labor is cheaper in other countries but it's because the tax issue I believe. This country needs to start leading again and stop letting these other little countries tell us what we can and cannot do. We have more oil under the U.S. than there is in the whole middle east, but our government says no we can't have it. Americans need to take their country back and be responsible for it. Then maybe we won't lose all of these good jobs.

Hanesbrand has just announced the closing of 2 plants,120 more out of work.The company stated these jobs would go to Asia and Central America.All the trucking companys in the Triad area of N.C. wore the docks out at these places picking up and delivering for years.Now nothing.That makes about 750 manufacturing jobs gone in the next few months............This thread is getting off the topic of O.D.F.L. and it is my fault.We are getting into a subject that affects all trucklines.If you have anymore input on this subject start a thread in the politics forum,maybe more members will read it and contribute.Thank you.