51 years ago

The Best

TB Regular
Credits
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/s...ums/v505/Nocount/-868127132257B44A0.png&cfs=1

51 years ago, yesterday, Feb. 18th 1963 I started to school for Carolina Trailways and this is the picture of the school in Richmond, Va. that Trailways sent all their drivers to See next post for the picture.. I came out of a cotton mill in N.C., never been anywhere in my life, but now I look back across the 51 years and pictures and events flash through my mind of years gone by. Some good, some bad.

Would I do it again?? Not in today's environment. In 1963 driving was one the best job that a person without a college education could get. Not today!

they had buses back then..??

why back in my day, all we had for "mass people transit", was an oxen cart....with square wheels.

you youngin's had it so easy....

I started driving commercial trucks in 1963,I got my first city driving job in 1966 with Eazor Express a union LTL.
They closed their doors,shortly after deregulation kicked in.

Back in those days anyone that could load,& unload trailers & could drive a truck could work anywhere.
30 days in a row at any union LTL would get you on the clock & start your climb up the seniority ladder.

So in my opinion,from '66 till now days the trucking industry has completely changed as far as employment is concerned.

Now days someone such as myself with only a 7th grade education,would have no chance to get into the industry.

I started driving commercial trucks in 1963,I got my first city driving job in 1966 with Eazor Express a union LTL.
They closed their doors,shortly after deregulation kicked in.

Funny thing, I went with Johnson Motor Lines out of Charlotte, NC in 1972 and they had just bought out some of Eazor rights, this gave Johnson the right into Pittsburgh, Pa. Only trouble, leaving Charlotte, we had to run to "gateway" through Atlanta, Lexington, KY, then back to Charleston, WV then up to Pittsburgh. And then Johnson like Eazor closed the doors shortly after deregulation.

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/s...ums/v505/Nocount/-868127132257B44A0.png&cfs=1

51 years ago, yesterday, Feb. 18th 1963 I started to school for Carolina Trailways and this is the picture of the school in Richmond, Va. that Trailways sent all their drivers to See next post for the picture.. I came out of a cotton mill in N.C., never been anywhere in my life, but now I look back across the 51 years and pictures and events flash through my mind of years gone by. Some good, some bad.

Would I do it again?? Not in today's environment. In 1963 driving was one the best job that a person without a college education could get. Not today!
Did you drive bus your whole career? And all for the same company?

Did you drive bus your whole career? And all for the same company?

No, I worked for Carolina Trailways to 1972, left and went to Johnson Motor Lines out of Charlotte, NC, drove line-haul for Johnson and the CEO purchased a brand new bus from Greyhound and took it to Wakefield Coach Co in MN. and there it was made into a "rolling luxury motor home", I was offered the job of driving because of my years with Trailways. I took that job and I was terminated from it in 1976 because of heated discussion between me and the CEO. I bought my own truck then and became an owner-operator and leased the truck right back to Johnson Motor Lines. Johnson shut their doors in 1980, I jumped around with several different companies and I finally sold my truck and went with Overnite. Took early retirement in 1996, that is a long, long story that I don't care to get into right now. But after retirement from Overnite, I have continued to drive, several different jobs---being "retired" I do not let anyone "jerk my chain". 5 weeks ago, I quit another job and I really don't know if I will go back or not, I am almost 79 and driving does not "thrill" me any longer.