Central Transport | $5mil loss in oct

had enough

pErSoN oF iNtErEsT
Credits
vitran is on track to lose $15mil in the 4th qtr. they're presently trying to get a refinanced loan to keep the doors open. bankers are going to various terminals to appraise their value. hope everyone finds better pastures next year because this place is going out to one. ****

"had enough" I heard the same figures, 5 million dollar loss in October. As I look back on the history of Vitran, I guess Kimack, and, Kosovec were not that bad. Keylon is like a shinny shoe, without a sole, and its not his fault. G A E T Z, ruined this company. 15 years of neglect has caused the demise of this truckline.

Lets make this simple. Successful truck lines as follows: AAAC (Dothan, AL), Averitt Express (Cookeville, TN), Estes Express (Richmond, VA), Central Transport (Warren, MI), SAIA (Atlanta, Ga & Houma, LA), R&L Carriers (Wilmington, OH), South Eastern Freightlines (Columbia, SC), Fed Ex Freight (Harrison, Ar & Memphis, Tn), ODFL (NC),

Bottom line, there is not one CANADIAN company listed on this list, and I left off, Conway, Pitt Ohio, Central of Texas, YRCW, ABF, Dohrn, NEMF, etc..

G A E T Z and his lack of vision, lack of knowledge of the USA LTL market is the problem.

Sad, but true.

this reminds me of DHL or DAIHMLER, but on a much much smaller scale. i would'nt be suprised if we don't get a concession next year and it will most likely be 10%.

It always gets darkest before the dawn...Sometimes a cliche' fits.....And I hope it does in this case...But it doesnt look good...I truly dont wish bad on this company. But mis-management over the years have caused this. This is not our fault...Most of us have truly tried to turn this company around...We have did our part...Management has failed...And although its not over till the fat lady sings...Everyone here should start preparing for a change sometime in 2013...

What are the chances of the us ltl being bought by another company? I would really like to keep my job... Who would even be interested???

well boys, I turned in my uniforms today. I punched the Vitran clock for the last time tonight. I want to wish all of y'all the best of luck with Vitran or with finding something else. I came on at vitran when there were only vitran trucks and vitran trailers, the days when we used 48's and 53's for the peddle runs, and pups for linehaul runs. we all can stay up all night debating on "what" caused this company to lose so much money. To tell you all the truth, If they would have gave me my 4 raises and didnt make 2 boards instead of just one board for city and LH, I dont think I would have been pounding the pavement as hard as I have the last 4 months or so. I will be peeking in on this page alot, but most of my words and thoughts will be on my new companies page. UPS FREIGHT. good bye and gooooooooooood night VITRAN EXPRESS- P-JAX- MILAN- QUAST- CHRIS- SERRA WEST- FRONTIER- :kicking:

well boys, I turned in my uniforms today. I punched the Vitran clock for the last time tonight. I want to wish all of y'all the best of luck with Vitran or with finding something else. I came on at vitran when there were only vitran trucks and vitran trailers, the days when we used 48's and 53's for the peddle runs, and pups for linehaul runs. we all can stay up all night debating on "what" caused this company to lose so much money. To tell you all the truth, If they would have gave me my 4 raises and didnt make 2 boards instead of just one board for city and LH, I dont think I would have been pounding the pavement as hard as I have the last 4 months or so. I will be peeking in on this page alot, but most of my words and thoughts will be on my new companies page. UPS FREIGHT. good bye and gooooooooooood night VITRAN EXPRESS- P-JAX- MILAN- QUAST- CHRIS- SERRA WEST- FRONTIER- :kicking:
Remember what I told you in that private email $$. And try not to gloat to much either. I will shout at you from time to time....Train

"had enough" I heard the same figures, 5 million dollar loss in October. As I look back on the history of Vitran, I guess Kimack, and, Kosovec were not that bad. Keylon is like a shinny shoe, without a sole, and its not his fault. G A E T Z, ruined this company. 15 years of neglect has caused the demise of this truckline.

Lets make this simple. Successful truck lines as follows: AAAC (Dothan, AL), Averitt Express (Cookeville, TN), Estes Express (Richmond, VA), Central Transport (Warren, MI), SAIA (Atlanta, Ga & Houma, LA), R&L Carriers (Wilmington, OH), South Eastern Freightlines (Columbia, SC), Fed Ex Freight (Harrison, Ar & Memphis, Tn), ODFL (NC),

Bottom line, there is not one CANADIAN company listed on this list, and I left off, Conway, Pitt Ohio, Central of Texas, YRCW, ABF, Dohrn, NEMF, etc..

G A E T Z and his lack of vision, lack of knowledge of the USA LTL market is the problem.

Sad, but true.
Here in Texas Central Transport is the ultimate scrub line...Well besides Vitran. They have the junkiest equipment of any one. Even we have better equipment than them. But they at least know how to turn a profit....

And by the way $$.........It turns out that light at the end of the tunnel I saw....It was an on-rushing freight train...And it ran right over my sorry azz...Good move..And best of luck..Train

Best of luck to you! I applaud anyone who is able to find something better and leave this company.

Keep coming back to express your 2 cents now and then, i for one appreciate your opinions. PS//// maybe you should have used :eck13: instead???????????

Sad, but true.

@ltl is great,

Don't forget SEFL as one of the great LTL carriers. They do 30,000 bills a night and service only 12 states. They have more density in those 12 states than any other carrier and run 99.2% on time with no scrubbing of the numbers.

As for Vitran's losses, you are correct. Word is they lost 5.1 in October and considering the next two months you have freight volumes dropping dramatically and both months have two non work days.Then in December you will have many employees using up vacation time which means getting paid with no work being produced. Losses in november and december will probably top 6 million dollars per month putting the 2012 year at a 39 million dollar loss.

Word has it they just got another 35 million dollars of credit which may sustain them through July of next year assuming a loss rate of 5 million per month but they will impose pay cuts of all salaried workers at 15%. Most likely won't cut driver pay or non salaried pay for obvious reasons.

I agree with everything that is being said on here. But unless you are in upper level management you would never have access to the numbers. Its only what they want you to know, that is what you know....No one really knows if this company will survive in 2013.....We want to paint this picture of doom and gloom...And yes I do it all the time...But the fact is no one really knows...Unless you can predict the future, it will always be speculation. I have been on this site since it was started..Only recently have I created runawaytrain and started to make a few comments. I worked union and non-union LTL companies my whole career, longer than some of you have been alive. It's a Industry that is totally unforgiving...it's totally cut throat...and backstabbing. Their is no loyalty in this business, sales, managers, office, come and go. A Southeastern sales rep. will be a Vitran rep. tomorrow, and vice versa. We want to come on here and drama it up...and yes i'm guilty to. But here's the bottom line. If you want to come on here to vent and make comments thats fine. But dont take this sh** so serious. It's just a damn job. The only thing in this life that matters is your family..No Freight company cares about you..You are just like a commodity thats traded in the NYSE...Go back to 2007 and look at some of Vitrans post...Do you see any of those user names on here today...Then do the same to other Freight companies...We come and go...And it will always be that way. Im so happy that my son's graduation is this Dec 15 at 5pm at the University of North Texas in Denton..He will graduate with a BA in Economics...The thought of him following in my footsteps sickens me. I worked my azz off for 40+ years that my children would have a better life than me...Now that is what matters in life gentlemen...FAMILY

Last edited by a moderator:
We are all turds in a toilet bowl waiting to be flushed at anytime. I tell the other drivers at my terminal "you ain't nothing more than a freight *****".

I agree with everything that is being said on here. But unless you are in upper level management you would never have access to the numbers. Its only what they want you to know, that is what you know....No one really knows if this company will survive in 2013.....We want to paint this picture of doom and gloom...And yes I do it all the time...But the fact is no one really knows...Unless you can predict the future, it will always be speculation. I have been on this site since it was started..Only recently have I created runawaytrain and started to make a few comments. I worked union and non-union LTL companies my whole career, longer than some of you have been alive. It's a Industry that is totally unforgiving...it's totally cut throat...and backstabbing. Their is no loyalty in this business, sales, managers, office, come and go. A Southeastern sales rep. will be a Vitran rep. tomorrow, and vice versa. We want to come on here and drama it up...and yes i'm guilty to. But here's the bottom line. If you want to come on here to vent and make comments thats fine. But dont take this sh** so serious. It's just a damn job. The only thing in this life that matters is your family..No Freight company cares about you..You are just like a commodity thats traded in the NYSE...Go back to 2007 and look at some of Vitrans post...Do you see any of those user names on here today...Then do the same to other Freight companies...We come and go...And it will always be that way. Im so happy that my son's graduation is this Dec 15 at 5pm at the University of North Texas in Denton..He will graduate with a BA in Economics...The thought of him following in my footsteps sickens me. I worked my azz off for 40+ years that my children would have a better life than me...Now that is what matters in life gentlemen...FAMILY

@runawaytrain,

you should not make assumptions that some of the folks here do not have access to upper level information. For that matter, don't make assumptions that some here are not upper level folks that are fed up with what is going on. This site is open to more than drivers right ? Way too much accurate info being posted here to be non informed posters ! Good night. And let me tell you one thing "train", a SEFL rep would never , ever come to work for VITR, period !

@runawaytrain,

you should not make assumptions that some of the folks here do not have access to upper level information. For that matter, don't make assumptions that some here are not upper level folks that are fed up with what is going on. This site is open to more than drivers right ? Way too much accurate info being posted here to be non informed posters ! Good night. And let me tell you one thing "train", a SEFL rep would never , ever come to work for VITR, period !
As always I respect everyone's opinion..But you should not make an assumption about sales rep's loyalty..I worked for Overnite for many years and seen many sales rep's jump ship to Consolidated Freightways when they were clearly in trouble....Sometimes a good line of bull from a sales manager and a little more money can make the grass look greener, and although me and you know its not. When that rep just took a good azz chewing for low numbers...He just might not see things clearly. Look how many FedEx managers left for Vitran...It just don't wash my brother..But like I say, we are all entitled to are own opinion...Train

As always I respect everyone's opinion..But you should not make an assumption about sales rep's loyalty..I worked for Overnite for many years and seen many sales rep's jump ship to Consolidated Freightways when they were clearly in trouble....Sometimes a good line of bull from a sales manager and a little more money can make the grass look greener, and although me and you know its not. When that rep just took a good azz chewing for low numbers...He just might not see things clearly. Look how many FedEx managers left for Vitran...It just don't wash my brother..But like I say, we are all entitled to are own opinion...Train

It's getting a little deep in this thread.....maybe it's time to turn to a different direction...too much assumption of facts without proof....I see nothing has changed over the past 6 or 7 years at Vitran except taking over all the scrub lines in the US and then buying alot of equipment....which is a huge write off in itself and can show losses for several years. Investment credits and tax shelters is what accountants do for a living. It's all legal and well defined in the tax code and are legitamate deductions that companies use. Vitran employees who have been brought in under the flag over acquisitions have not seen much change since Vitran took over. I personally believe that some of the acquisitions were bad choices on Vitran's part. Nothing has changed at Chris Truck Lines. Yes they took out some garbage but it still runs like it's missing on 2 of 6 cylinders with a small customer base and not alot of freight. You all may as well hang on for the ride and enjoy it while it lasts because when the ride is over.....you will have to find a real job where they have rules....and efficiency that means something. Good Day All.

It's getting a little deep in this thread.....maybe it's time to turn to a different direction...too much assumption of facts without proof....I see nothing has changed over the past 6 or 7 years at Vitran except taking over all the scrub lines in the US and then buying alot of equipment....which is a huge write off in itself and can show losses for several years. Investment credits and tax shelters is what accountants do for a living. It's all legal and well defined in the tax code and are legitamate deductions that companies use. Vitran employees who have been brought in under the flag over acquisitions have not seen much change since Vitran took over. I personally believe that some of the acquisitions were bad choices on Vitran's part. Nothing has changed at Chris Truck Lines. Yes they took out some garbage but it still runs like it's missing on 2 of 6 cylinders with a small customer base and not alot of freight. You all may as well hang on for the ride and enjoy it while it lasts because when the ride is over.....you will have to find a real job where they have rules....and efficiency that means something. Good Day All.
Slugger im ready to roll when and if they shut the doors, you know me, you know my work ethic, But people want to act like they have access to all these numbers and sometimes it gets a little frustrating..Your right...No proof...Im gonna ride it until the wheels fall off..(when and if that happens)..Then im coming over to your house for a beer and a dip in the hot tub. Then I may join you at the place you are. Then again I might just shut it down for good, I have that option just like you. But i will cross that bridge when i come to it..Investment credits and tax shelters by professional accountants have kept this companies head above water for years, and they are very much aware of the tax codes..I see no reason to leave a job that is total cake...Let the others spin it at their choosing..I personally dont really care enough to let it affect what's best for me and my family..YOU KNOW THAT !!!

It's getting a little deep in this thread.....maybe it's time to turn to a different direction...too much assumption of facts without proof...

Exactly my feeling too. Let me see the books and then we will talk the truth about profits and losses, or better yet (not meaning to assume) on why we really can't make money. Are certain terminals (or even zip codes) just a plain loss from the get go (but wanting to expand they don't want to close them for later use) If this company would give us more information as to what is really going on, I think a lot more employees would feel better about being here. We hear words of this, words of that, how things are going to improve,,,,, and then, insult me with a 25 cent raise only to take it away raising my insurance again.