6 Myths About Welfare Recipients Debunked

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dick Dastardly, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/6-myths-welfare-recipients-debunked/

Here's one from the article:

2. Only lazy people get welfare:

A common retort from those who like to demonize those who receive public assistance is “if you just worked harder, you wouldn’t need welfare! Stop being lazy and get to work!” Almost $104 million dollars worth of food stamps were used at military commissaries in 2013. These are some of the hardest working people in the United States, and they still need food stamps to get by. In addition, nearly 1 million veterans receive food stamps as well. While there are certainly some who spend a lifetime on public assistance, they are the exception, not the rule – and honestly, I can’t see that as being a happy way to live.

pilot87 and Magoo like this.
  2. Concrete Cowboy

Concrete Cowboy Active Member

6. Illegal immigrants receive food stamps: Do anchor babies count.
    5. The “Obamaphone”:If you’re a welfare recipient and you have a nice phone, you probably screwed the taxpayers.
    4. The Welfare Queen: Queen could be any color.
    3. Obama is the “food-stamp President”: "While true", doesn't that make it, not a myth.
    2. Only lazy people get welfare: A $74 billion program and he talks about $104 million of it.
    1. Welfare is too expensive: $488 billion spent on welfare in 2014, which $74 billion was food stamps, seems a little pricey to me.

3. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

Nothing is debunked

Big Dave likes this.
  4. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

This article proves beyond a doubt that military people are grossly underpaid. I doubt that this group's intention was to prove that point though. I have no problem with a hand up but resent handouts.

5. Crystal

Crystal Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this summary and IMO the right does unfairly demonize public assistance. Welfare is a necessary service provided by taxpayer dollars. Sure there are some abusers of the system even the super rich and powerful. I can just imagine how many billions of taxpayer dollars are wasted on corporate welfare.

Nobody in this country should go to bed hungry or cold, especially children or the aged. People have to eat so we either feed them or they will take it by force. Section 8 housing, food stamps and Medicaid are probably cheaper than the costs of crime and pain to the public. Plus the increased costs to law enforcement, the court system, and the prison system................More and better jobs are the answer

wtfteamster, pilot87, Magoo and 2 others like this.
  6. Concrete Cowboy

If you are an able bodied man and unwilling to work to feed yourself or your family, you should go to bed hungry. People have to eat, they don't have to steal. Jobs are available to people willing to work who aren't thieves.

Ice Rider likes this.
  7. Crystal

Crystal Well-Known Member

If is the key word. The article said that
    SNAP already has strict time-limits for unemployed workers. Able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs) may only receive 3 months of SNAP benefits during any 3 year period, unless they are working in a qualifying job training program.
    The SNAP benefit formula is structured to provide a strong work incentive – for every additional dollar a SNAP participant earns, their benefits decline by about 24 to 36 cents, not a full dollar, so participants have a strong incentive to find work, work longer hours, or seek better-paying employment. (Source)
    Jobs may be available in your area but I don't know of many jobs in my area. If they can't find jobs and they can't get assistance then I can't think of any other way of surviving than to commit crime. People have to survive one way or the other.

pilot87 and Magoo like this.
  8. Concrete Cowboy

You said "no one should go to bed hungry", I disagreed with you.

Apparently jobs are available in your area or you would of said no jobs instead of many jobs. If an able bodied man tries to steal food from someone else they should be shot. After all, it is a matter of survival.

Northern Flash likes this.
  9. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

I dont think anyone is against helping someone in need but the abuse the taxpayer sees makes it hard to stomach.The more the taxpayer gives,the more they want,as evidenced by some posts on here.Also,that :shit: of making the criminal out as the victim is getting old.Opportunity is out there,if youre willing to achieve it,no matter where you live.

10. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

Disgraceful that the very people that keep our country free have to beg.

wtfteamster, Magoo, Ice Rider and 3 others like this.
  11. Dick Dastardly

It certainly is Joe.

Magoo likes this.
  12. Keepingon

Keepingon Well-Known Member

Anyone that thinks there is not PLENTY of people taking advantage of the welfare system have never been to Walmart where people pull into the parking lot driving Mercedes , Lexus' and BMW's then go inside and buy lobster with their welfare card or any wholesale club where a man shells out $600 in cash for a push cart full of alcohol and his wife checks out behind him with their welfare card. The program is meant for those who need assistance and they should get it. The problem with the program is not only those that abuse it but those who allow it.

13. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

SCOTUS ruled, Social Security is Taxes going in- Welfare coming out.

14. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

So Jimmy,will you be going on welfare ?

pilot87, Magoo and Dick Dastardly like this.
  15. Dick Dastardly

So you're for raising the minimum wage then? If a man works full time (40 hours a week) he shouldn't need public assistance. You can't have it both ways Cowboy.

Crystal, pilot87 and Magoo like this.
  16. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

If it still exists.

I expect major changes coming.

17. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

18. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

You are right changes are coming, but I don't think it is going to effect those nearing retirement age now.
    Take it early and collect for as long as you can.

No cutoff for taxable earnings and raise the age incrementally.

19. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

Sound advice.

20. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

Receiving welfare is no different than those receiving unemployment checks in this aspect. When a person's unemployment is about to run out, they miraculously find a job. So put a limit on how long you can receive welfare benefits, and those recipients will also......... miraculously find a job.

This has been tested, monitored, and documented overseas, and it's proven to be true.