ABF | 60 Hour bid!

We're so terribly understaffed at our terminal that it's almond laughable. We warned mgmnt. of this several months ago, but they didn't hire. Finally had to file on the overtime thingy...it worked, they hired ONE guy, but we still need another one. Keep filling out those 'no overtime sheets, make copies of your time cards and the no OT sheets, then turn them into your BA. He or she will know what to do.
ALMOST laughable. Damn auto-correct.

Ahh,.........Dear old Rollin62......once again talking out of whatever orifice he's comfortable with.......

Since he doesn't work for ABF ......and obviously doesn't have a copy of the contract,..........then he doesn't realize that UE positions are bid off the city board, and the company can force from the bottom if no one covers the UE bid.

Work on the city board is based on a 40 or 45 hour week, with 40 being the norm. To create a bid, especially one that has you leave your home state,......that can't reasonably be completed within 8 hours,.......is a violation of both seniority and conventional work rules.

Everyone notice how this is being done without a change of operations, or notification of bid changes to the Local Unions?

Once again, our ethical "Christian" run company is trying to pull a fast one.......

And,....as always, when a "sleight of hand" trick is being pulled,.........you need a clown or comedian for diversion......Right on Cue, Rollin62!

How's things over at Con-Way? Or did your new French masters get sick of your dog'n'pony show and get rid of you?
Road drivers can bid for Ue ,but there is no retreat back to the road if you don't like it and they DO NOT have to a change or union approval of any kind to add or delete UE runs. Don't have my book, but it's in there

When the NMFA was split up by companies getting their own deal the working Teamster got a screwing that keeps on giving.
Until the members can stick together and get involved with the day to day things at the local level this will continue.

Road drivers can bid for Ue ,but there is no retreat back to the road if you don't like it and they DO NOT have to a change or union approval of any kind to add or delete UE runs. Don't have my book, but it's in there

I think they can add runs without a change of operations,.......but once the work is established, I don't think they could eliminate a run without a change of ops.

We had one of our UE runs eliminated several years ago , and they had to file a change to do it.

Once work,....or new business is created, they can't just willy-nilly give it away ......they'd be subcontracting all over if they could.....

I think they can add runs without a change of operations,.......but once the work is established, I don't think they could eliminate a run without a change of ops.

We had one of our UE runs eliminated several years ago , and they had to file a change to do it.

Once work,....or new business is created, they can't just willy-nilly give it away ......they'd be subcontracting all over if they could.....
Ever been to Atlanta? Outside people pull 300 to 500 loads a month while our guys sit. All legal with the teamsters approval because of this red circle bull @$!#.

Same here, they will offer a UE run to the Percenter, lay off or casual before they call line haul and tell them they have to cover it. Both our UE runs are hitting about 60 hours on 5 days. On the bid sheets, there is no hour time frame listed for the run, just a start time, where to and an assigned tractor. It was basically understood that the runs would be more than 10 hours a day.

That's what I said. Once a Ue change of ops was implemented , a road driver has an oppurtunity to leave the road board and follow the work in the city

That's what I said. Once a Ue change of ops was implemented , a road driver has an oppurtunity to leave the road board and follow the work in the city
I'll say it for the last time, in your contract book, which you OBVIOUSLY don't have because you don't work here , it states on page 23 last paragraph "the employer may establish AND modify utility positions and bids without the approval of a change of operations or other union approval. I'm done with this

I'll say it for the last time, in your contract book, which you OBVIOUSLY don't have because you don't work here , it states on page 23 last paragraph "the employer may establish AND modify utility positions and bids without the approval of a change of operations or other union approval. I'm done with this
With contract language like this no wonder the rank & file feel they have been sold out. With a sentence like that, why bother with a Union or a contract?

I'm not trying to start any crap here, but why should a company, since it is taking all the risks should have to consult the union about how to run their operations. Would you like it if you had to consult your landscaper about what flowers to plant in your yard?

That was not a directed question at the poster, but for the board in general.

And I will say before you try to personally attack me for asking a legitimate question, I am a current CDL Holder, ran Linehaul at Con-way and Sherwin Williams. I also have a Masters Degree in Business and a Degree in Accounting. So while I don't know everything I know quite a bit in terms of finance and whatnot, but I just don;t get the union mentality.

I'm not trying to start any crap here, but why should a company, since it is taking all the risks should have to consult the union about how to run their operations. Would you like it if you had to consult your landscaper about what flowers to plant in your yard?

And I will say before you try to personally attack me for asking a legitimate question, I am a current CDL Holder, ran Linehaul at Con-way and Sherwin Williams. I also have a Masters Degree in Business and a Degree in Accounting. So while I don't know everything I know quite a bit in terms of finance and whatnot, but I just don;t get the union mentality.
Because both sides have a contract to go by, company feels they can do what they want when they want when it benefits them....

Actually, Brother, the company isn't taking all the risks. You are risking your families' financial future,......plus you are risking your health and well-being........and especially in trucking,....you are subject to liability that may impact your finances,.......I know this one for a fact.

Businesses are there to create capital..........and Unions are there to remind them of the human cost for that capital creation....

What's more important? Business......or people?

My boss tends to equivocate when I ask that question,.......and I always remind him I can answer that in one word......

Must be nice to be able to blurt out any provocative thing without having........or caring.......to take responsibility for what you said........

I haven't had the ability to be that blithe and carefree about my speech since......ohhh.......third grade......

And I will say before you try to personally attack me for asking a legitimate question,
I am a current CDL Holder, ran Linehaul at Con-way and Sherwin Williams. I also have a Masters Degree in Business and a Degree in Accounting.
Relevance to the matter?
Because both sides have a contract to go by,
:smiliewhs:
The company and the sorry excuse for a union come to an agreement based on current economic conditions. If and when those conditions change so should the agreement. If the company makes changes that saves them money and costs union jobs I would expect a share of the saved money, that's how union shops are supposed to work. The company cried poor mouth and suckered our sorry excuse for a union and enough scared workers to provide us a substandard contract and I want to recoup every penny possible. If, in fact, you were a driver for the two companies that you mentioned you too benefited from the union contract that we have worked under for decades, yet you sound ungrateful for what you gained.:shrug: