ABF | 60 Hour bid!

Relevance to the matter?

:smiliewhs:
The company and the sorry excuse for a union come to an agreement based on current economic conditions. If and when those conditions change so should the agreement. If the company makes changes that saves them money and costs union jobs I would expect a share of the saved money, that's how union shops are supposed to work. The company cried poor mouth and suckered our sorry excuse for a union and enough scared workers to provide us a substandard contract and I want to recoup every penny possible. If, in fact, you were a driver for the two companies that you mentioned you too benefited from the union contract that we have worked under for decades, yet you sound ungrateful for what you gained.:shrug:
You creep on that board like I do it's definite a different breed over there...

Relevance to the matter?

:smiliewhs:
The company and the sorry excuse for a union come to an agreement based on current economic conditions. If and when those conditions change so should the agreement. If the company makes changes that saves them money and costs union jobs I would expect a share of the saved money, that's how union shops are supposed to work. The company cried poor mouth and suckered our sorry excuse for a union and enough scared workers to provide us a substandard contract and I want to recoup every penny possible. If, in fact, you were a driver for the two companies that you mentioned you too benefited from the union contract that we have worked under for decades, yet you sound ungrateful for what you gained.:shrug:

I will respect the ABF Board, since I don't work there..but typical song and dance from unions that they are the ones preserving driver wages. I guess market forces and economics don't dictate.

I was only trying to get some perspective, as I'm probably getting hired to run cost analyses for linehaul, and since I've been on both ends of the spectrum. And for for your information ABFer i pointed that out so it didn't seem like I wanted to bash unions, but get an educated perspective...but keep holding that wheel bud!

I will respect the ABF Board, since I don't work there..but typical song and dance from unions that they are the ones preserving driver wages. I guess market forces and economics don't dictate.

I was only trying to get some perspective, as I'm probably getting hired to run cost analyses for linehaul, and since I've been on both ends of the spectrum. And for for your information ABFer i pointed that out so it didn't seem like I wanted to bash unions, but get an educated perspective...but keep holding that wheel bud!

How about the current demographics in trucking as a driving force in economics? Compared to other industries, there is about a ten year age gap because trucking relied on drivers jumping from job to job, instead of trying to attract younger people.

LTL trucking , whether it be Union or non-Union, is very top-heavy with older drivers. This company here admitted during contract talks, that about 75% of its drivers were within 5 years of retirement. I believe that figure is worse now, as a cut-rate contract does nothing to attract new hires.

Trailer load big box trucking doesn't have the age problem, but they all have endemically high turnover rates..........some as high as 100% in a year,.........so to use TL employers as entry-level ........"trainers" ........for LTL, is very problematic, as the people they are...."training" ......and losing due to turnover, have very rudimentary driving skills.......,..and absolutely no LTL skills........

As we all know, LTL is not truck driving.........it is freight handling,....and driving is merely one of the skills required to do the job properly. What would your boss rather have? A driver who's a poor freight handler,...........or a good freight handler who's a barely adequate driver?

LTL freight can't be taught.........It can be .......learned,....but not taught in a classroom. How about the aging demographics in LTL trucking as a driving force in economics,....as opposed to customer requirements? Is LTL close to the "tipping point" where customer-driven solutions will take a back seat to driver availability?

but keep holding that wheel bud!
See...I could sense your condescending attitude from your initial post. I don't know if it's an unusual trait to have but I have it, always did. I chose my vocation at a very early age, long before I could even reach the pedals or push trailers backwards and I have no regrets, I enjoyed myself and lived well enough to satisfy my needs. I am grateful for our former union for providing me with what I have accumulated but I pity those who are just entering what used to be a good industry, I don't see much for them in the future.

If you do get hired you can start with the line haul supervisor that has driver take a set of m t`s instead of a full set going to the same place....I think you will be shocked at the waste....

I'm not trying to start any crap here, but why should a company, since it is taking all the risks should have to consult the union about how to run their operations. Would you like it if you had to consult your landscaper about what flowers to plant in your yard?

Not that you don't know this already but just in case someone who legitimately doesn't know reads this thread...

The company and especially the people in upper management who make the decisions face virtually zero risk. When Bill Zollars took the "risk" to buy Roadway, Holland New Penn and whoever else they bought during that disaster he risked and lost FORTY THOUSAND (the company's own numbers). What did he lose? He didn't wonder where his next meal was coming from, he didn't worry about his or his families medical bills. Forty thousand bread winners had their world tuned upside down because one guy had to try and be the Bill Gates of trucking.

I'm not against the risk taker making insane amounts of money but it can be done without it being at the expense of the people who make it happen.
I believe that corporations aren't people, they are an organism whose prime directive is to make money however they can and the union is needed to protect workers rights in pay and safety. Virtually all the safety rules when have in industry today are because of union negotiations.
I was talking to an old rock cutter and he related the story of a worker who had 3 fingers crushed off and hid it form the company and worked the rest of the day because the standard response to an injury was to fire the employee.

From company stores to no guard rails steel foundries there are thousands of stories like this in all industries.
And don't think it can't go back to that because there are people spending incredible amounts of money trying to make it happen at this very minute.

Only because I'm riled up at pro Union bs on my own forum, will I comment here. "Contract is based on current economic conditions". This I agree with. You expect the company to share in excess profits in the middle of a contract. I find it hard to believe you would offer give backs halfway thru said contract in a flip side scenario. Unions (in the old days anyway) bucked mgt at every turn. Now they appear to bend over. The company is not at fault for their "adversary's" weakness.

Shifting gears to respond to Boiler.
Bill Zollars job is exactly what he did. Judy, the same. We all chose to be the followers at some point. They chose to be the leaders. As I've posted elsewhere before, whenever I get an idea, I tell myself "shut up & drive".

Let the witch burning begin.

Only because I'm riled up at pro Union bs on my own forum, will I comment here. "Contract is based on current economic conditions". This I agree with. You expect the company to share in excess profits in the middle of a contract. I find it hard to believe you would offer give backs halfway thru said contract in a flip side scenario. Unions (in the old days anyway) bucked mgt at every turn. Now they appear to bend over. The company is not at fault for their "adversary's" weakness.

Bill Zollars job is exactly what he did. Judy, the same. We all chose to be the followers at some point. They chose to be the leaders. As I've posted elsewhere before, whenever I get an idea, I tell myself "shut up & drive".

Keep crying. It suits you.

Bill Zollar's job was to ignore the financial impact on his workforce? Judy McReynolds job was to promote lies and obfuscation during contract talks? Why, it sounds like being a CEO Is one of the most immoral jobs on the planet........

Surely you don't feel that morals are only for the deluded....."little"..... people?,.......or that people running large corporations should feel that their Labor force is an impediment to profits?

And,......yes.....we should ask you that question, too:. "What's more important....people, or business?"

You will be graded on your answer......

Bwahahahaha. Yep, laughing at you & all the way to the bank.
I'll add to your joy and fill you in on how I receive a notice every spring updating the value of my pension, which will pay on the first of every month...As of May 2016 I am eligible to collect $4400, which is only subject to Federal tax, no state or local. :guiness: Keep laughing on your way to the bank.