Holland | 60 plus hours

z-man

TB Lurker
Credits
Can someone explain how it is that we can be forced to work more than 60 hours as long as you are off the street by your 60? When I was on e-log over the road I was told that I could work past my 14 (on duty) while unloading at a customer, just couldn't drive, if you did the time still came off your 70 for the week. So if we are on a 60 hour week why can we go over? I used to be at YRC, we had to run a recap card for hours and 60 was the max. What gives? Are your TM's still holding you to the 30 minute break before your 8? And I've heard of other carriers pushing the 16 hour day once a week, my understanding was the 16 hour day was only to get back to your home domicile not to make more pu's or break more freight!!

right. the 16 hr. day provision is only allowed once a week if you have returned to your home terminal the prior 5 days. it is also only allowed to complete a run that could normally be completed in your 14 hr. day, but was extended due to bad weather, traffic accidents acts of God type things. not just because your employer needs you to move more freight today.

Yes , all TM's are on this work everybody 60 plus hours , as this is the Yellow way , work you like a slave and NOT hire nobody , plus its a win win for central states pension too , cause you will only live maybe a year or 2 after you retire !!!!! and then pension fund keeps all that money paid in for you !!!

Was told by are BA that tbe IBT has agreement with YRC as not to work the labor force past the 60hr rule at all even if its dock work.

i would like to see that agreement. We in RO work over 60 often. Last Friday I worked 15 hours. 7 of it on the dock

They do, however when you can't hire help at this rate of pay, and have freight to move, I think it will be overlooked for awhile. Remember we're lucky our doors are still open

As long as your days off meet the reset provisions of the regs, the DOT could care less if the Teamsters recognize the reset or not. Now if this is something the company just started then you should file a grievance. Because if you allow the practice to go beyond 6 months, then it become past practice and you can be forced to work beyond 60.

The Teamsters do not recognize the reset so the company can not force you to use it, and that is how I would word the grievance, ie . . . you won't have hours to protect your bid start time on Monday. I would even fill out a recap and include a copy as part of the grievance.

Yes , all TM's are on this work everybody 60 plus hours , as this is the Yellow way , work you like a slave and NOT hire nobody , plus its a win win for central states pension too , cause you will only live maybe a year or 2 after you retire !!!!! and then pension fund keeps all that money paid in for you !!!

I can't speak for other old Yellow terminals, but at our barn we, now YRC, continue to hold management to the fire on not going over 60 hrs. We also won't go over 14 in a day unless it is outside circumstance that can't be controlled. We do not use the 34 hour restart.

At a local Holland terminal, they have drivers that would (and do) work more than 14 hours a day, 60 hours a week (sometimes up to 75 hours), and would (and do) work on weekends.
They do the 34 hour restart every weekend even though the union does not recognize that restart. The same guys do not take their 10 hours off without reporting back to work the next day. Some of these same guys beg for more hours. They will also tell some of our drivers that they don't have any hours on some Fridays to finish their shift because at noon they have exceeded their 60 hours and they still have 6 or 7 hours to work.

If they would turn off the keys on 14 hours and also on 60 hours, then management would have to do something about the situation. Hint - like hiring more help, but some of these guys don't want that because they want all of that money.

One of these days one of these guys is going to have a wreck and S**t is going to hit the fan. The State Police is going to walk in an request hours of service on these drivers and the fines will fly along with the management. Or a pissed off driver is going to turn the terminal over to the law, with the same type of result
My question is how does this continue to happen? Does higher management turn their heads to this? My understanding is Holland keeps a pretty good record on the road drivers and will not allow them to exceed their service hours in most cases, but these city drivers at this terminal have no respect for the law and truly do not understand their consequences on this matter. If they think they need the overtime now to pay their bills then wait till the DOT fines start with no job because this company will let these guys go so fast for these type of violations that they won't know what happened.

Codebreaker it just depends on how much a guy is willing to work. I know of a couple of yrc barns they go over 60 hours and get letters for it. But management still allows it. Over on holland road we use to have quite a few guys that would use 34 hour restart. The new provisions prevent us using it since we drive at night. As drivers are leaving and on top of it freight is picking up then company is going to demand more time out of the people they do have. Some will want the time, others will not. I know in kc we have been in a hiring mode for city drivers for about a year straight and can't get enough.