TForce | 65 just plain blows!

BusterNite said:
Another big problem I have seen involving truck accidents is drivers that do not get the proper rest needed to drive at night. I see this on a regular basis being a night time driver the past 28 years. Statistics tell us that driver fatigue has the same characteristics as a drunk driver. Fatigue= Not alert, Impaired vision, Slow to react.
This is my experiance as a night time driver. But the same go's for a day time driver also. Rest is key. 4-6 hours is not enough. Study has shown 7-8 is sufficient.

I agree with you BusterNite,being rested before the operation of any motor vehicle is the key to a safe trip.
But you take a sleepy driver,that has a heavy load,than add speed to that equation,this equals someone on the road that is an accident looking for a place to happen,and may God have mercy on anyone thats driving on the road with him,or her.

When someone driving drifts off into dream land,they naturaly fall forward,which puts more wieght on the peddle,which in turn increases the speed.

This is not good to say the least!

Oh ya, you can fall asleep at the wheel day or night. When you do 4 P&D days in a row of 13-14 hours each, then the last day of the week can be a real bear, especially if you have a long route and have to go 75-100 miles to your first stop out in the middle of nowhere.

Well galaxy99dx you are the judge of what your body can handle.
Your the CD holder thats making a living as a truck driver.
Whatever happens in any negative way during your work asignment its all on you.
I'm a safety trainner at my terminal.
When any of our drivers are leaving the terminal,and I'm able to talk to them before their run.
Heres what I always say to them upon their departure.
I say be safe,if you can't do something safe,don't do it at all.
Yes sir we drive the big rigs,we are the ones that will be going down for any misjudgements we make.
If theres just no way you can work safe,than the company has to make a way for it to be done safe,if it means splitting up the runs,so be it.
Accidents take a lot of time,and money.
Profits that won't be made from hauling a lot of tonage.
In other words one accident with costly damage,injuries,or deaths can erase profits from moving a lot of trailer loads of freight.
So in all cases it should be safety first.

can't you guys pick up extra sleep time at work waiting with no pay from your trailers to get ready.....
the trucks will be turned back to 70 on the first of Jan.....

no pay for working but you will definately be safe.......their screwing us when do we get the big kiss? Drive 55 and stay alive!!!!!!!do the right thing driver....

webidiot said:
can't you guys pick up extra sleep time at work waiting with no pay from your trailers to get ready.....
the trucks will be turned back to 70 on the first of Jan.....
Just where did you come up with this little tidbit of good news?

A young lady goes into a convenience store, grabs one of the little baskets and proceeds to select a few items. When she gets to the counter she has: a loaf of bread, a can of vegetables, a small carton of milk, one bannana, and a two pack of toilet paper. The clerk rings up her items and then looks at her and says," I bet your single", to wich the young lady smiles widely and says "why yes i am, how did you know"? The clerk looks at her again and says," because your ugly".

Trojan Man said:
Try running 65 on a two laner with a 65 speed limit, you always come up on someone going 55-60 with no intentions of going faster,,,EVER. Except of course when you try to go around him, then they seem to be able to do whatever it takes to keep you back there. This may be part of O's ploy to further allienate the customer base out west. Send freight on a way roundabout route to where it needs to go, and do it real slow to boot.
This is alot of my problem. Running a two lane the same speed as most other companies and one person has to run 62 and there you sit for the next hour or so......Besides it just added another 45 minutes to an already 12.5 hour day.......

You know we drivers can whine,and cry how we've got to many miles to run,the tractor has no power,or doesn't go fast enough.

But the bottom line isn't always what the company,is going to do to us when we disobey the laws of our land.
When we have D.O.T. violations,or break traffic laws.
We the proffessional driver will be looking at some real heavy fines.
Also maybe the loss of our CDL.

In the case of an accident we were at fualt the took a life,we could also be sitting in jail for awhile.

Like it,or not we've just got to do our driving in a safe way, if anything goes wrong its always on us the motor vehicle operators,that are proffessionals.
Even if we didn't cause an accident,we still could be fualted for not taking the last course of action that may of prevented something serious.

We can cry the blues forever about how its so unfair,but if,or when we mess up it will always come back to haunt us for a long time of how everything would of gone better if we had taken it just a little bit easier.

I think what GT is trying to say is that he need's to do a certian speed to get his job done in the short time that he has. to Knock the truck speed down just adds another factor that he has to deal with.

By the way at 70 mph he is not speeding in the states he operates in.

Thats ok steve5,I'm just trying to make the point that whatever we do as drivers we need to stay focused on what we are doing all the time.

I'm really not getting on anybodys back about how they drive.
If you noticed my last post on this thread I was including myself along with everyother truck driver that turns a wheel,and shifts the gears for a living.

We all have to stay focused at all times,not only for our own good but for the four wheelers that are clueless driving around us.

I guess this must just be the safety trainer that UPS Freight made me.
That I try to warn drivers to be safe,all the time.

Ya, apostolic, safe is best. But you always seem to come back to, "obey the law, dont speed", no one is saying speed, just being able to go the lawful limit where they are. I personally think all tractors should be equipped with JATO rockets, try to pass some one who wants to go slow, and do it in front of you at all costs, and all you have to do is hit the button, and BAMMOO!!!!, your two miles ahead of him before he can even think of crowding you to try to keep you behind.

I think what GT is trying to say is that he need's to do a certian speed to get his job done in the short time that he has. to Knock the truck speed down just adds another factor that he has to deal with.

By the way at 70 mph he is not speeding in the states he operates in.

I am glad someone understands me here.....I am not speeding at and i'm still holding up traffic.....People are just alot less hostile after they pass you than they are at 65......If I lived in a state or drove in a state that had lower speed limits than shame on me for CRYING but this is not the case....Or even if I had less miles to run or not spend 2 hours on the dock doing a job that they are already paying someone to do....Than shame on me for CRYING...... Besides why can't someone just state an opinion on a subject and it be just taken as that.....AN OPINION
NOT CRYING.....

Sorry for offending you on your thread greezy trucker.
Its just the safety trainer in me that wants all of us truckers to be focused,on our jobs.
To do everything in a safe way so we will be healthy enough to retire someday and enjoy our old age with good memories of our trucking days.

But once again I'd like to say that I'm sorry for reading to much into your posts here on the UPS Freight forum,on these truckingboards.

Ya, apostolic, safe is best. But you always seem to come back to, "obey the law, dont speed", no one is saying speed, just being able to go the lawful limit where they are. I personally think all tractors should be equipped with JATO rockets, try to pass some one who wants to go slow, and do it in front of you at all costs, and all you have to do is hit the button, and BAMMOO!!!!, your two miles ahead of him before he can even think of crowding you to try to keep you behind.

Trojan Man that's some funny stuff. But your exactly right.

HUH no please enlighten my youth on just how bad it was.......My dad was and heard the stories.....

lol..GT I was just a pup in the seventies myself. Graduated High School in 1974 and just turned 50 this summer. So I don't know much about what happened in the industry back then. I do know what you mean about 65 and I hated crossing the California border back when I use to drive all 48 states. I'm all about safety but I like to drive the limit in the states where the limits are higher and the road conditions are good.