67 hours!?!?

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
Thats what I had at the end of the day today, I called the mgmt and told them, they said they would fix it..LOL I just wondered what you guys thought, I had 8 hrs left at the start of the day, I told them if driving back and someone hits me, we are all F'ed, of course they just pray that that won't happen, we were covered up, some trailers didn't get in till 0800, we start at 0500, it was a mess, mine came in at 0515, I was so tired from the week, I didn't get 30 min away and took my lunch in the form of a nap! I just couldn't get going, every stop felt like slow motion, I was so glad when this day was over, I punched out at 1630, that beats the hell out of 1900.

I'm on vacation this next week and I need it, especially after this week, I'm so tired I'm thinking about going to bed.

Edit: 62 hours not 67, I don't know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get to take a lunch break?

I had 65.75 this week, and the previous twelve weeks:

52.50 (took a personal day)

Our loads/routes are always screwed up.

You get to take a lunch break?

I had 65.75 this week, and the previous twelve weeks:

52.50 (took a personal day)

Our loads/routes are always screwed up.

I get lunch and 2 breaks per contract, it just causes me to be out longer, IDK how Sysco is getting away with working you like that unless ur 70 hr 8 day, we are 60 hr 7 day.

I can't believe your working that much, I wouldn't mind if I was by the hr, are you all on ABC or DIP, or still by the hr? If your by the hr still, component is coming, we will all be on the new DIP, (driver incentive program), soon, Give me some feedback Brother!!!

About a year ago, we were all running out of hours, the supervisors were forced to take out routes, and the warehouse supervisors were forced to load the trailers as well. They fire people and forget it's gonna get busy, same thing happened this year.

So last year about this time on a Friday, we all got a memo in our mailboxes saying we are now an 8 day 70 hour operation. I had 55 hours, thought I'd have an early day, then suddenly I had 15 hours left. They about had a riot on their hands when they did that. The memo stated that it wasn't their intention to work us 70 hours per week, just when unforeseen circumstances arose. B.S. Almost all of us have been working more than 60 hours since then. I'm usually between 65 and 70. Every Friday we get an e-mail asking for volunteers to work on Saturday. One of the lower guys was forced in for a 10 hour route last Saturday with only 8 hours left, this week he has 5 hours left and they are making him work again tomorrow.

It's fine to drive/be on duty 70 hours in five days, but this kind of work, it's not so good. The senior driver are waiting for someone else to get seriously injured or killed. It's hard work, I may have sixteen to eighteen thousand pounds on my trailer, but I have to lift twenty to twenty five thousand lbs because I can't find the product, and I have to move everything out of the way, lifting many cases two or three times.

Do the math, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. 168 hours per week. The average adult needs 8-10 hours of sleep, lets say 8, 8x7 is 56 hours, leaving 112 hours minus 70 for work, 42 hours. 16 waking hours on Saturday and Sunday (a good portion of which is taken up by things my wife needs me to do), 10 hours left during the week. I have a half hour commute (some drivers have an hour or more drive home), leaving 5 hours to spend with my wife (if she is home) during the week. But wait, I have to get undressed and take a shower, pack my lunch make/eat dinner, then in the morning I have to make breakfast, get dressed, maybe comb my hair. It's completely unbalanced and something has got to give. I really need some time to unwind and relax, so it gets borrowed from the sandman. I usually don't get a chance to get caught up on the weekends, there are too many things to get done, and I sure won't get them done during the week. I talk to some of the other drivers, a lot of us, especially the ones with kids, are averaging about 5 hours of sleep per night, 5x7 is 35 hours of sleep per week. I think it is preposterous that I spend twice as much time working as I do sleeping, on the other hand, I must be a bad a$$ mother _____.

When I was over the road, ten hours was plenty of time, there's no commute, no feeding the dog, no making dinner, no mowing the lawn, no reading the mail. You pull into the truck stop and park, you can have your dinner in a half hour or so, by then there was a shower open if you needed one, back in your cab, plan your route, grab 7 or 8 hours, get a coffee and you're gone. The same ten hours isn't nearly enough for a local driver who's done a little bit more than sit on his rump all day.

Yeah, we get two (or three) breaks and a lunch, but show it to me on the manifest. Some drivers take them, then they have to explain why they were behind on their route. One of the shop stewards tells me I'm cheating myself out of 2.5 hours of overtime if I don't take my breaks. They're gonna run me to 70 hours regardless, I make a bit more throwing cases with that same 2.5 hours on a Friday than I do just sitting for a half hour a day. I just want to get it done and go home.

We're on ABC, I don't see how they can touch that before 2013 when the contract is up. The only time we're hourly is if we don't have a route, or when we go to help someone.

There was an incentive program in the warehouse, it was a nightmare. The people who don't know how to select and load trailers were then trying to do it faster, and they didn't care, they just wanted the the incentive. So they were essentially giving those guys a bonus for screwing things up worse, as long as it was done fast. We can't be disciplined for falling behind, unless there is a new contract, there are just too many factors. A driver incentive program here would only work for a select few favorites. I don't care about a bonus, I make enough as it is, as long as the DIP doesn't touch what I'm already making I'm okay with that. We needlessly bust our a$$es for what we get over here and things will turn real bad if they have any ideas about paying us less.

Damn good post Ted!!!! I gotta leave it at that now, I gotta get in the bed, I'm wore the hell out as I'm sure you are too!!!

Be good Brother, we will pick this back up after some rest.

Welcome to the world of Martin-Brower. I will be working 70 hrs a week all summer long. Its going to be like that for me for a long time being at the bottom. But I just found out they offered 3 guys a job and they accepted it. So I might not be at the very bottom no more.

I was lucky, I was the second of about 5 drivers that were hired on after Sysco bought Bunn Capitol, so I had a little bit of seniority off the bat. I'm ashamed to admit it, but there's something evil inside of me that hates it when someone lower than me leaves, and rejoices when someone higher moves on.

Given the physical nature of the job, that's WAY too many hours to be working in a week. Sysco, Martin Brower, and other companies should do a study on accidents (both vehicle and personal injury) when drivers have 50 or 60+ hours in a week. I'm no expert, but I bet the ratio increases proportionately with the number of hours worked. Fatigue is no joke, and I bet they would save a bundle on insurance rates.

I'm at the point in my life where I don't want or need to work that many hours. Yes, I need to work. And yes, I want a fair wage for the time I put in for both myself and my employer. However, anything over 50 hours is too much of a compromise on my home life. I'd absolutely LOVE a 4 day schedule, but I don't see that happening in the near future. The flip side is that every company will always have the "hogs" - drivers that want to deliver every last case of groceries possible. That's their business, but what will they do when a lifesty;e change (marriage, kids, family, etc) occurs? They will still be expected to deliver for 70 hours a week, period. Companies ride their horses for as long as possible, but I digress....

Finally, Ted Ward's post #4 in this thread is one of best I've ever seen anywhere. Nice job, Brother.

I agree. 70 hrs is way to much. It has crossed my mind thatnif it affects my family life I would go to Asian Foods. There you work 4 days a week anf maybe 50 hrs. We do have some 4 day work week bids but not many and it will take me a long time to get there.

I was lucky, I was the second of about 5 drivers that were hired on after Sysco bought Bunn Capitol, so I had a little bit of seniority off the bat. I'm ashamed to admit it, but there's something evil inside of me that hates it when someone lower than me leaves, and rejoices when someone higher moves on.

Thats all of us Ted, thats the way most everyone I know thinks. What I borrow from the sandman I make up for on the weekend, I got up at 1000, Dianna was going to work, I layed back down and slept till 1600, yea I was that tired, luckily I rent a condo, the only thing I have to do is mow, and it don't need mowed yet. I do this every saturday, I hate sleeping my weekend away but I gotta catch up somehow.

They must be killin you guys over there, I'm running all out of town routes, lots of miles and I'm still throwing 70-85 CPMH, if I were in town, given the way I work it would be closer to 95 per hour, not because I'm fast, I just work organized, and load the wheeler.

The dip pay increased out mileage pay, guys like me are going to make alot more, case pay is on a tier, throwing 85 CPMH will get you to the top, stop pay went down a bit, bottom line, if you run miles, your gonna make more, so come bid time the top dog needs to ask himself, do I wanna make more or be off earlier? Around here those that get off early are always subject to having to go help someone till 17 or 1800, it sucks, thats why I don't hurry to much anymore, especially on fridays, I used to kick off 800-1000 by noon or 1300, then I would go help till 1900, now I do the same cases and work till 1700 and go home, makes sense to me.