Yellow | 671 looking for road drivers..........

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
Just like the rest of the nation, RDWY is having a hard time finding drivers. Seems that out of every 8 applications we only get 1 guy to start driving. I think it is the combination of being on call and the pay progression. I think the company will be rethinking the pay progression in the next contract. Too bad they didn't want a 3 year contract last time, or they could have changed it by now. 671 has also put ads in the papers for part time dock help!! Thank goodness, I need the break!!:showoff: DS.

I can't believe you are happy about (part-time) help.
That is a very dangerous road to go down.
Just ask CCX drivers about the part-time help that was brought in.
Cheap help that cuts into their work and hours.
At 313 we have 1 board and you need a CDL to get hired on full time. Although they do have a casual list.
We also have trouble finding people to hire. For us I believe it has more to do with people with cdl's don't want to work nights and weekends on the dock.

sarge said:
At 313 we have 1 board and you need a CDL to get hired on full time. Although they do have a casual list.
We also have trouble finding people to hire. For us I believe it has more to do with people with cdl's don't want to work nights and weekends on the dock.
Hey sarge, I know what you mean, but....We are a classified termainal. Road, switching, dock, office, janitorial, maintence and garage all are separate. If you get hired on the dock part time, that's where you work.....no CDL needed. We are guaranteed 40 hours, casuals can't cut our hours. Back in the mid 90's we had over 100 casuals available for work on the dock. Now I think we have 5......DS.

I would love to leave where I'm at to work for RDWY. Sometimes in my area they put the CDL drivers needed sign up. BUT I cant leave a fulltime job to be on call. I hear its been that way forever. Wish there was a better way for a young man like myself to get in the door at one of the union jobs! If they told me 30hrs a week I would quit my 55hrs a week job today. Thats just how bad I would like to leave CW.

clark9036 said:
I would love to leave where I'm at to work for RDWY. Sometimes in my area they put the CDL drivers needed sign up. BUT I cant leave a fulltime job to be on call. I hear its been that way forever. Wish there was a better way for a young man like myself to get in the door at one of the union jobs! If they told me 30hrs a week I would quit my 55hrs a week job today. Thats just how bad I would like to leave CW.
clark9036 from what I hear at my facility (Roadway )(winston-salem) nc I bet if you have a clean MVR and some time under your belt you just might be able to get right on on full time right from the start here.

PM me if you want there phone number. I will send it to you...

sarge said:
Anyone who has a CDL it's a givin to work nights and weekends, don't forget the holidays. While the dock bids get cancelled we keep on trucking. But it can be worse talk to jb hunt driver those guys are out for a month before they get back home.I think CDl holders look for the best possible life you can get on the road, for less money you can be home every night and weekends at other companies to most people that means alot.

clark9036 said:
It may help you to talk to some of the guys on the road board at RDWY down there. Kind of get a feel of when the bottom guys are getting out and what kind of $$ they are taking home. I am with you on not wanting to leave your full time gig.......It took me 2 1/2 years to make up my mind. But I did it and have never looked back!! DS.

wyomingkid said:
where do the road runs go to out of 671?
I am a city man but I know they run south to Orlando and Meridian, Nashville,NJ,Some of Ohio and stuff in between.

Still P'off about them not having a chance for drivers transfering there! mumble grumble, fricking fracking roadway.

Docksteward said:
Just like the rest of the nation, RDWY is having a hard time finding drivers. Seems that out of every 8 applications we only get 1 guy to start driving. I think it is the combination of being on call and the pay progression. I think the company will be rethinking the pay progression in the next contract. Too bad they didn't want a 3 year contract last time, or they could have changed it by now. 671 has also put ads in the papers for part time dock help!! Thank goodness, I need the break!!:showoff: DS.
hey ds the company can 86 the progression rate anytime they want
who says they are held to the contract
as long as they do not extend the requirements stipulated they can modify it to reduce the progression time
they can actually pay full scale right away as i do not think the union would object:poster_oops: :police: :borg:

Would they be required to put the guys "in progression" up to full scale too?

Can of worms

big steve said:
hey ds the company can 86 the progression rate anytime they want
who says they are held to the contract
as long as they do not extend the requirements stipulated they can modify it to reduce the progression time
they can actually pay full scale right away as i do not think the union would object:poster_oops: :police: :borg:

That would be a good thing but talk about the can of worms that would open up. Not getting wrapped around the axle but it would work at a small barn oops I mean service center but @ break:poster_oops: again flow center that would be alot of aggravassion. They should allow a bona fide Roadway man put a transfer without penalty to another terminal if on lay off or a vacancy exist. What do I know I'm just a pup jockey.

DS you're right about eliminating the 75% rule but I think it was a way to make some people leave without forcing the issue in my eyes.

That's where the rub is. If you take out the progression.........do you take back the last 2 year new hires?? If you say Jan. 2007.......where does that leave the Jan. 2006 guys?? Being biased on this issue, I think if you come from a Teamster company and have a clean record you go to the top pay. We lost several guys at Billings and they would fit right in at RDWY........is that what they want to do?? Tough call. DS.

screwy louiey said:
That would be a good thing but talk about the can of worms that would open up. Not getting wrapped around the axle but it would work at a small barn oops I mean service center but @ break:poster_oops: again flow center that would be alot of aggravassion. They should allow a bona fide Roadway man put a transfer without penalty to another terminal if on lay off or a vacancy exist. What do I know I'm just a pup jockey.

DS you're right about eliminating the 75% rule but I think it was a way to make some people leave without forcing the issue in my eyes.
I'd be the first to jump ship to a new terminal!:bananapowerslide:

rumor mill........
I was told by the driver that was training DS that our Labor Rep was thinking of changing it to top pay something like after 6 months of employement. And also offering to retro it if they stayed.....

Toxic said:
rumor mill........
I was told by the driver that was training DS that our Labor Rep was thinking of changing it to top pay something like after 6 months of employement. And also offering to retro it if they stayed.....
Sounds like "Serta" ought to be on the "hotline" to the 671 TM. Full pay and you get out of that high dollar Pocono area, can't be cheap living there. I know it's a whole lot less cost of living in N.C. There's your opening brother.......

TheBigR said:
Sounds like "Serta" ought to be on the "hotline" to the 671 TM. Full pay and you get out of that high dollar Pocono area, can't be cheap living there. I know it's a whole lot less cost of living in N.C. There's your opening brother.......
I think if serta gets down to 671 he will have to listen to his "friend" Lubey tell him "I told you so"....:roll1: Just kidding there serta!! Come on down, if you get the chance. Like TBR said, why don't you give Andy B. or Bob P. a call down here and see what they can do. DS.

hmmm, thats a definite option. Holding my breath here at 120 for a closing so I can transfer somewhere with my senority. Tough to give up all the paid time. Even would transfer with co sen, and screw the terminal senority.

Docksteward said:
I think if serta gets down to 671 he will have to listen to his "friend" Lubey tell him "I told you so"....:roll1: Just kidding there serta!! Come on down, if you get the chance. Like TBR said, why don't you give Andy B. or Bob P. a call down here and see what they can do. DS.
Hmmm, "friend" is a very strong word there DS, not sure if I'd use it. Going through a break up with the old lady, so if I decide to bail, your pm box will be flooded.