68 mph top speed for trucks?

Guardrail

TB Legend
Credits
A U.S. federal agency plans to resubmit a proposal later this fall on behalf of petitioners who want commercial trucks governed at 68 mph. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration intends to try again to deliver a notice of proposed rulemaking to the Office of the Secretary of Transportation in November on behalf of the ATA and Roadsafe America.

The American Trucking Associations and Roadsafe America, a safety group, first petitioned NHTSA in 2005 to generate a rulemaking that would cap the road speed of trucks weighing 26,000 pounds or more at 68 mph.

Feds to try again with speed limiters for heavy trucks

What would some of the lead-footed drivers do?The type that tail-gate 4-wheelers and in general make us all look bad by their bad habits and actions.Agression does not belong in a Big-Truck.

Speed has nothing to do with aggression. I owned trucks for several years that were ungoverned. Aggressive driving is a choice.

Limiting all trucks will have the same effect as split speed limits, and will create that hazard everywhere.

The truck I currently drive runs 76. (That's right an Estes truck running 76) I'll have more on this later tonight. (paying my tab at the present moment)

Last edited by a moderator:
To look on the bright side, a universal governed speed will prevent the 3 wide driving.

No it won't. Truck with brand new tires will be just a hair faster than trucks with older tires, some trucks will actually be governed at 67 or 69 and we'll still have all kinds of "world's slowest drag races" going on across the country.

Our trucks are governed at 68 right now and I've got no problem with that speed, but a blanket speed limit like that is just asinine as long as you have states with higher speed limits that aren't enforced half the time.

No it won't. Truck with brand new tires will be just a hair faster than trucks with older tires, some trucks will actually be governed at 67 or 69 and we'll still have all kinds of "world's slowest drag races" going on across the country.

Our trucks are governed at 68 right now and I've got no problem with that speed, but a blanket speed limit like that is just asinine as long as you have states with higher speed limits that aren't enforced half the time.

Without a doubt!

A U.S. federal agency plans to resubmit a proposal later this fall on behalf of petitioners who want commercial trucks governed at 68 mph. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration intends to try again to deliver a notice of proposed rulemaking to the Office of the Secretary of Transportation in November on behalf of the ATA and Roadsafe America.

The American Trucking Associations and Roadsafe America, a safety group, first petitioned NHTSA in 2005 to generate a rulemaking that would cap the road speed of trucks weighing 26,000 pounds or more at 68 mph.

Feds to try again with speed limiters for heavy trucks

Oh well, my truck is already set to 68. LOL

Ran out of time last night. Don't have time now either but there's nothing safe about running the same speed as everyone else. You need passing lane speed and separation speed.

My company has allowed the drivers to choose to either be "optimized" by the company, i.e. they set the maximum speed the truck will run, or to "self optimize", where the driver works toward keeping the average maximum speed at or under 70.

Optimized drivers get an extra .03 cents a mile automatically.

Self optimized drivers get the .03 cents a mile provided they keep the average maximum speed under 70 each month.

So far I have always been able to achieve that goal and earn the premium pay.

Ran out of time last night. Don't have time now either but there's nothing safe about running the same speed as everyone else. You need passing lane speed and separation speed.

That is why I choose to be self optimized.

Thats real fancy, have everyone go the same speed with different torque settings, its gonna be a long night for some, glad I only run 58/59 mph.

What would some of the lead-footed drivers do?The type that tail-gate 4-wheelers and in general make us all look bad by their bad habits and actions.Agression does not belong in a Big-Truck.

I beg to differ on your premise that this would somehow curb aggresive driving. You can drive aggresive at any speed.

Sounds like another pay cut coming, what with the new HOS rules and now this. reports I have heard say since the new HOS rules came in driver wages have dropped 4-5 %. Speed limiting at 68 will create dangerous driving conditions and rolling blockades like the are experiencing in Canada.

Leave us alone!!