ODFL | 6th Mastio Award

I agree with that. I also feel when you keep being told you're the best and you're the reason we've had record profits, a little more then the standard cost of living would go a long way in keeping employees motivated to do the job at the highest level.
Again that's just my opinion. Not everyone agrees but I bet they would take it if offered. I'm just not afraid to want it.

Oh on that front I'm right there with you... I want every bit I can get.

I agree... never seen such big checks$$$$$ as for con/ox,we don't work reships/clusters like the others... od motto..hook-n-book..
We do a little out west. We add or take off freight on our Casper run. I pretty sure our Farmington guys stops in the springs every now and then. But nothing like Conway does. My checks are good, not the biggest but good. And the stress level is worth the couple bucks I might miss. Like I asked before, if they gave you more would you take it?

Good for you. Look guys all I'm saying is this company has had record profits and grabbed a huge chunk of the market. We should get more then just a cost of living raises. I know for a fact we are .05 a mile behind FedEx out here. Hourly we are even but without the overtime after eight it's not close. Also drop and hooks, delay time and layover pay is much better at the other 3 big ltl's. Don't take this as me not liking OD, I made the switch for a reason. I'm just not afraid to want more of the pie when I helped make it.
change runs??!!

We do a little out west. We add or take off freight on our Casper run. I pretty sure our Farmington guys stops in the springs every now and then. But nothing like Conway does. My checks are good, not the biggest but good. And the stress level is worth the couple bucks I might miss. Like I asked before, if they gave you more would you take it?
in all honestly,receive yes. please understand thou;i am home every night,paid every week with a bank roll that is very satisfying. no hassles,good meet guys and positive interactions with others(dispatch,managers,shop personal) I guess give,is the optimal word.

What would changing runs do? Not that I could anyway.
Different runs with longer miles means more money.. right? The difference at our barn could be between $100-$800 dollars a week. We hold one year bids,unless they add three runs at one time.

Different runs with longer miles means more money.. right? The difference at our barn could be between $100-$800 dollars a week. We hold one year bids,unless they add three runs at one time.
I don't know how much strap you've got but I'm not taking a top run from anyone at my barn.We have good runs when it's my time to bid. One of the perks of running out west I guess. We hold one year bids as well. But working longer days/nights for the same cpm does not equate to a raise. You make more money but you give up more time.

If OD paid it after 40 you would only get 40. The overtime after 60 is the biggest competitive advantage they have over the industry, and the biggest reason for the OR in the low 80's. I'd like to see overtime as much as anyone, but it would take an act of Congress or unionization and those are two evils.

i was going to say something about overtime vs taxation vs overtime pay vs union wages... beating a dead horse..
learn to be happy in whatever you do in all things.... MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HANUKKAK !!

If OD paid it after 40 you would only get 40. The overtime after 60 is the biggest competitive advantage they have over the industry, and the biggest reason for the OR in the low 80's. I'd like to see overtime as much as anyone, but it would take an act of Congress or unionization and those are two evils.
I respectfully disagree. A city guy who is already trained, all ready insured, all ready on the street and already in a tractor is much less expensive then buying new tractors, training a new employee and insuring said employee. It's a scare tactic the company's have used for years. If they would hire more guys to keep you at 8 hours, why haven't they already done it.

And that brings me to my second point. What you call the biggest competitive advantage is also this company's biggest detriment. I don't know the number but I have to believe us not paying OT has cost OD more drivers the the great O.R. number has gotten drivers. I know the 3 guys I tried to get to come over, not one of them said "man, that OR number is so good I don't need overtime pay." Drivers care about one thing... "show me the money.." Operating ratio tells me one thing. When is below 90. Corporate feels that number is more important then you are. They tell you how much they reinvest that money back into the company.... Well that's called the cost of doing business. How about you reinvest a chunk of that back into the most vital piece of equipment you have... The drivers are your corporate image on the outside. They should be compensated accordingly with the standards set by other categories

Last edited:
I always hear that OD is the best thing smoking for a road driver. Never nothing when concerning city guys.
Because I know which side my bread is buttered on.We have a good thing going.Just love when those Road Drivers are just so concerned about what I don't get.For me I like getting paid while I'm sitting in traffic&being held up waiting for my freight.lol.Again,there not a job out there that is perfect.But,all in all OD treats us good.

Because I know which side my bread is buttered on.We have a good thing going.Just love when those Road Drivers are just so concerned about what I don't get.For me I like getting paid while I'm sitting in traffic&being held up waiting for my freight.lol.Again,there not a job out there that is perfect.But,all in all OD treats us good.
Kudos to you me and get paid for the same thing, but two different job classifications. Not gonna go there me and Song have had are debate on that topic on Holland board lol. IMO think that its a good thing that your road drivers feel you guys deserve OT a sign of unity. On my side we don't like city guys because they sometimes bring our assigned truck back with a new scratch or dent and say it was preexisting damage. They don't like us because they feel like we own the trucks. Be fortunate that you have concerned coworkers when it won't effect them.

It's too bad you have such disdain for road drivers that you feel our opinions don't matter. I have my opinions because like you Kenneth I have peddled freight for half my driving career. I wasn't born a "road driver" I became one. I respect your views on the subject and the fact you've done it for a long time, but think of this. This company is very proud of it's O.R. It has gone down every year I've been here. It has gone down even thou prices for equipment have gone up, our pay has gone up, and fuel prices have dropped, and the cost of insurance has no doubt increased. With this all happening and our O.R.was in the 90's like all the other ltl's, I wouldn't say a word. But their is clearly room for this company to do the right thing and pay you guys for going above what an average work day should be. If we both worked 10 hours a day, driving the same truck, hauling the same freight, why shouldn't you make close to what I make? All those extra hours add up over the course of your driving career, doesn't seem that way each day but at the end of the year they add up.
P&D guys are the face of the company and you deserve more respect for the job you do. The law OD stand behind is out dated and used only by them. It's time to do the right thing and pay you guys what your worth. They can afford it now!