ODFL | 6th Mastio Award

It's too bad you have such disdain for road drivers that you feel our opinions don't matter. I have my opinions because like you Kenneth I have peddled freight for half my driving career. I wasn't born a "road driver" I became one. I respect your views on the subject and the fact you've done it for a long time, but think of this. This company is very proud of it's O.R. It has gone down every year I've been here. It has gone down even thou prices for equipment have gone up, our pay has gone up, and fuel prices have dropped, and the cost of insurance has no doubt increased. With this all happening and our O.R.was in the 90's like all the other ltl's, I wouldn't say a word. But their is clearly room for this company to do the right thing and pay you guys for going above what an average work day should be. If we both worked 10 hours a day, driving the same truck, hauling the same freight, why shouldn't you make close to what I make? All those extra hours add up over the course of your driving career, doesn't seem that way each day but at the end of the year they add up.
P&D guys are the face of the company and you deserve more respect for the job you do. The law OD stand behind is out dated and used only by them. It's time to do the right thing and pay you guys what your worth. They can afford it now!
You are wrong Sir!!..I have respect for all.Again,you are fighting a dead stick.I personally would not want a pay cut.I like what I make&when I signed up at OD I was very aware of the OT law.OD has a open door&you&everyone else are welcome to leave at anytime.We have a good thing going&everyone leaves me along& I do my job.I enjoy my job.Yes,law's are old&yes OD does use it to there advantage.But,the positives alway's out weigh the negatives here at OD.So I will leave it like that..Thank's again there UMP.Now back to sitting in Holiday traffic on the clock.Someone got'a do it..:1036316054:

Any disbeliever, visit a terminal in a state where OD is required to pay OT after 40 and you'll notice a lot more city help then what is needed ;)

You are wrong Sir!!..I have respect for all.Again,you are fighting a dead stick.I personally would not want a pay cut.I like what I make&when I signed up at OD I was very aware of the OT law.OD has a open door&you&everyone else are welcome to leave at anytime.We have a good thing going&everyone leaves me along& I do my job.I enjoy my job.Yes,law's are old&yes OD does use it to there advantage.But,the positives alway's out weigh the negatives here at OD.So I will leave it like that..Thank's again there UMP.Now back to sitting in Holiday traffic on the clock.Someone got'a do it..:1036316054:
Okay, you went a little Yogi Berra on me with the "fighting a dead sick" thing. I don't recall asking you to take a pay cut. And just because I have a different opinion then you doesn't mean I or anyone else should "leave". This conversation is good because it shows corporate the vibe that's going thru their company. I'm thinking a driver with your time in could get the OT if wanted. City dispatchers know who works and who slacks off. Your barn is probably a lot like ours. When it's slow and the problem drivers are only getting 6-8 hours and the drivers who do a good job day in and day out will get their hours. It's works that way with the OT as well. Guys who belly ache will be sent home and the ones who bust their butt get the work. It seemed we always had more drivers in the winter then we needed yet the guys who ran thier routs and got back always got the late trailer swaps and the guys complaining there are too many drivers where doing so in the parking lot.
Hope traffic wasn't too bad, sitting in it sucks whether your getting paid or not. But just think you could be making $37.50... or what I get for vacation/holiday pay. :1036316054:

OD has made it very clear there'll not be much OT for any driver regardless of their seniority/reliability. Terminal and city managers receive next day notices from corporate when a driver goes above the threshold. Part of the mass hiring this year was to get OT under control in areas of the country where OD is required to pay after 40.

Okay, you went a little Yogi Berra on me with the "fighting a dead sick" thing. I don't recall asking you to take a pay cut. And just because I have a different opinion then you doesn't mean I or anyone else should "leave". This conversation is good because it shows corporate the vibe that's going thru their company. I'm thinking a driver with your time in could get the OT if wanted. City dispatchers know who works and who slacks off. Your barn is probably a lot like ours. When it's slow and the problem drivers are only getting 6-8 hours and the drivers who do a good job day in and day out will get their hours. It's works that way with the OT as well. Guys who belly ache will be sent home and the ones who bust their butt get the work. It seemed we always had more drivers in the winter then we needed yet the guys who ran thier routs and got back always got the late trailer swaps and the guys complaining there are too many drivers where doing so in the parking lot.
Hope traffic wasn't too bad, sitting in it sucks whether your getting paid or not. But just think you could be making $37.50... or what I get for vacation/holiday pay. :1036316054:
When I said pay cut.I mean my hours will be cut.Understand Ump you are at OD not FedX.OD will never pay OT.Listen to me & Billy..It will never happen .So tired of you coming on this board spewing your Old FedX View's.Again,you don't even work on the clock here&you are are just stirring the stick for others to see.Go talk to someone else or better else go start a OD negativity forum.You would be good at that for sure.Have a blessed day.

When I said pay cut.I mean my hours will be cut.Understand Ump you are at OD not FedX.OD will never pay OT.Listen to me & Billy..It will never happen .So tired of you coming on this board spewing your Old FedX View's.Again,you don't even work on the clock here&you are are just stirring the stick for others to see.Go talk to someone else or better else go start a OD negativity forum.You would be good at that for sure.Have a blessed day.
My views aren't negative. I've made good points. If you're tired of them just don't reply to then. It's not hard. I've got Billy on ignore and you should get your facts straight. Because he does gets overtime and you don't. Again my views are different then yours and that's okay. Doesn't mean one is right over the other. You need to stop blaming FedEx for everything. The only ones who bring it up are you and Billy. It's not only ex FedEx drivers who think you should get overtime. In fact I'd say your probably in the minority. You want to debate my statement fine, but "just because" doesn't work for my kids and sooner or later it won't work for a multi million dollar company.

I am retiring after 17 years @ ABF. You are dead on about the guys that work harder to get the late runs for the overtime. @ ABF we are union so they have to go by seniority rules. That said, we have seen a pattern of dispatch keeping a driver out longer so a less senior guy comes in & clocks out. Then his favorite driver gets another 2 to 3 hours of OT. Does it make it right? Union or non-union you will always have dispatch playing favorites. For about 6 years I gave a dispatcher a gift card @ Xmas. He said he couldn’t accept it for it might look like playing favorites. Not the case @ all. He was a good boss, treated everyone fair, & never played favorites. I told him I expected no favorites from him, for it was a gift for him because I liked him on a personal and professional level. Based on that he accepted. The sad part is he was promoted & moved to another terminal. This boss put in 12 hours almost every day. It was just a matter of time before he went else ware.

It's too bad you have such disdain for road drivers that you feel our opinions don't matter. I have my opinions because like you Kenneth I have peddled freight for half my driving career. I wasn't born a "road driver" I became one. I respect your views on the subject and the fact you've done it for a long time, but think of this. This company is very proud of it's O.R. It has gone down every year I've been here. It has gone down even thou prices for equipment have gone up, our pay has gone up, and fuel prices have dropped, and the cost of insurance has no doubt increased. With this all happening and our O.R.was in the 90's like all the other ltl's, I wouldn't say a word. But their is clearly room for this company to do the right thing and pay you guys for going above what an average work day should be. If we both worked 10 hours a day, driving the same truck, hauling the same freight, why shouldn't you make close to what I make? All those extra hours add up over the course of your driving career, doesn't seem that way each day but at the end of the year they add up.
P&D guys are the face of the company and you deserve more respect for the job you do. The law OD stand behind is out dated and used only by them. It's time to do the right thing and pay you guys what your worth. They can afford it now!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: Ump
Any disbeliever, visit a terminal in a state where OD is required to pay OT after 40 and you'll notice a lot more city help then what is needed ;)

Not if it were required at every barn. The only way that will happen is if we as a constituency push our lawmakers to change current regulations. Which should happen. I'm as conservative as they come but I still think overtime should be a requirement. If an organization is going to require its employees to give up half their day to work just to keep the organization's costs down (insurance benefits, unemployment insurance and the like) there should be a larger reward for the employees.

OD has made it very clear there'll not be much OT for any driver regardless of their seniority/reliability. Terminal and city managers receive next day notices from corporate when a driver goes above the threshold. Part of the mass hiring this year was to get OT under control in areas of the country where OD is required to pay after 40.

That's why we added so many road drivers in ATL...

Reactions: Ump

They will never pay overtime if drivers don't make it a priority. We hold the whip hand. They have no company without us.

You keep thinking that &let me know how it turns out.More like OD holding the whip over you.Just remember they can fire you faster than they hired you
This may have been true 10-15 years ago, but with the size of this company now they can't afford to just dismiss drivers for wanting to be treated better. We can't find enough qualified driver now. The reason we have so many green drivers is because the only place we can find them is thru our own CDL classes. Then after all the cost OD puts into them, they put in their year and go work for a company who pays OT. We all know this is a great place to work and drivers with experience should be getting in line to work here. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they're not

This may have been true 10-15 years ago, but with the size of this company now they can't afford to just dismiss drivers for wanting to be treated better. We can't find enough qualified driver now. The reason we have so many green drivers is because the only place we can find them is thru our own CDL classes. Then after all the cost OD puts into them, they put in their year and go work for a company who pays OT. We all know this is a great place to work and drivers with experience should be getting in line to work here. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they're not
I will say I was never told or knew they didn't pay ot until after my first check. I never thought to even ask that didn't even know no ot existed anywhere lol. If I had known it may have changed my decision. Not to say I don't like my job or working for OD cause I do like it here . But of course I would love if they paid ot I don't know why anyone wouldn't want it. I would like to see how many drivers would get upset if they started paying it. Lolol

I will say I was never told or knew they didn't pay ot until after my first check. I never thought to even ask that didn't even know no ot existed anywhere lol. If I had known it may have changed my decision. Not to say I don't like my job or working for OD cause I do like it here . But of course I would love if they paid ot I don't know why anyone wouldn't want it. I would like to see how many drivers would get upset if they started paying it. Lolol
Same here.I have nothing against for sure.But,I get my 50-55 a week no ?'s asked.Just my opinion has alway's that if they started paying it I would never see any OT.They will just add more driver's& my 50- 55 hours will drop below the OT line.So I will just loose with a paycut..I worked 16 yrs with OT&loved it.But,I seen the neg side of it when it was cut.Again,sorry if I chime in on something.But,you all work far,far away from Corp.I see,hear,&talk to alot of upper management&other's from around Corp hall's&I'm just speaking the truth&what I see.Sorry if I spoil the show.

Same here.I have nothing against for sure.But,I get my 50-55 a week no ?'s asked.Just my opinion has alway's that if they started paying it I would never see any OT.They will just add more driver's& my 50- 55 hours will drop below the OT line.So I will just loose with a paycut..I worked 16 yrs with OT&loved it.But,I seen the neg side of it when it was cut.Again,sorry if I chime in on something.But,you all work far,far away from Corp.I see,hear,&talk to alot of upper management&other's from around Corp hall's&I'm just speaking the truth&what I see.Sorry if I spoil the show.
I think they'll tell you what they want us to know, but there is now way you're getting this information till they're ready to implement it. Loose lips kinda thing. I sure you'll be the first to know but you won't until they want you to. Doctors and nurses don't eat in the same break room.

I think they'll tell you what they want us to know, but there is now way you're getting this information till they're ready to implement it. Loose lips kinda thing. I sure you'll be the first to know but you won't until they want you to. Doctors and nurses don't eat in the same break room.
I plan on being here till I retire.I have learned that the best thing at OD is to keep my mouth shut&just go along with the flow.Love working here& OT is the least of my worry's.You all have fun beating on the wall's.I will be the last to know when you all break thru.:1036316054:

I plan on being here till I retire.I have learned that the best thing at OD is to keep my mouth shut&just go along with the flow.Love working here& OT is the least of my worry's.You all have fun beating on the wall's.I will be the last to know when you all break thru.:1036316054:
That's not a bad plan right there!! And like you, the thought of over time doesn't consume me but I think it's a fair question to ask.