ODFL | 6th Mastio Award

I respectfully disagree. A city guy who is already trained, all ready insured, all ready on the street and already in a tractor is much less expensive then buying new tractors, training a new employee and insuring said employee. It's a scare tactic the company's have used for years. If they would hire more guys to keep you at 8 hours, why haven't they already done it.

And that brings me to my second point. What you call the biggest competitive advantage is also this company's biggest detriment. I don't know the number but I have to believe us not paying OT has cost OD more drivers the the great O.R. number has gotten drivers. I know the 3 guys I tried to get to come over, not one of them said "man, that OR number is so good I don't need overtime pay." Drivers care about one thing... "show me the money.." Operating ratio tells me one thing. When is below 90. Corporate feels that number is more important then you are. They tell you how much they reinvest that money back into the company.... Well that's called the cost of doing business. How about you reinvest a chunk of that back into the most vital piece of equipment you have... The drivers are your corporate image on the outside. They should be compensated accordingly with the standards set by other categories
You said a mouthful so I will take it in sections. They haven't already hired more because they don't need to, you're still willing to work 60 hrs with no overtime. They would use a lot more combo drivers (dock/city) and open the driving school to p/t dock so they wouldn't dramatically increase the amount of full time people and the health care cost.

Second, the OR IS more important than you, and you should never forget that. When the OR is lower, the terminal manager and sales rep makes a bigger bonus, the VP makes an even bigger bonus, and so on up the chain. There are a lot of drivers out there waiting their turn to come to OD, so if you think they give a damn about your willingness to leave you are wrong. While we keep the company running, the less they can give us means the more they can put in their pockets, and the last time I met Greg he wasn't wearing a timex, it was a Rolex my friend. They give back hustle enough to keep most people happy and pocket the rest. Do your homework, read the annual report and se the salaries and bonuses these guys get, it will blow your mind. My point is, it's no detriment at all, they just replace you with another good driver, most requiring minimum training because they come from another carrier, just learn the Blu and the handheld and their off!

Ho ho ho, merry Christmas, holy ::shit::, where's the Tylenol!

You said a mouthful so I will take it in sections. They haven't already hired more because they don't need to, you're still willing to work 60 hrs with no overtime. They would use a lot more combo drivers (dock/city) and open the driving school to p/t dock so they wouldn't dramatically increase the amount of full time people and the health care cost.

Second, the OR IS more important than you, and you should never forget that. When the OR is lower, the terminal manager and sales rep makes a bigger bonus, the VP makes an even bigger bonus, and so on up the chain. There are a lot of drivers out there waiting their turn to come to OD, so if you think they give a damn about your willingness to leave you are wrong. While we keep the company running, the less they can give us means the more they can put in their pockets, and the last time I met Greg he wasn't wearing a timex, it was a Rolex my friend. They give back hustle enough to keep most people happy and pocket the rest. Do your homework, read the annual report and se the salaries and bonuses these guys get, it will blow your mind. My point is, it's no detriment at all, they just replace you with another good driver, most requiring minimum training because they come from another carrier, just learn the Blu and the handheld and their off!

Ho ho ho, merry Christmas, holy :::shit:::, where's the Tylenol!
I'm pretty sure I said all the same things you just did. Except for the driver situation. We can't find anyone who wants to come to OD. All the carriers have help wanted signs up. I have never said I wanted to leave. It's been suggested by drivers who can't understand people have a difference of opinion then they do.
A lot of you guys that have been here for a long time and don't like change. But in situations of labor, it's in constant flux. If OD starts taking more market share, trust me on this now, the big 3 will not sit by and watch a company that has an unfair advantage keep it with out a fight. FedEx and UPS have been in the courts for years over the fact FedEx claims to be mostly air freight.
I've done my homework and my opinions are based on that information. Knowing why they do it and agreeing with them are not one in the same.
Merry Christmas to you as well. Be safe.

Ho ho ho, merry Christmas, holy :::shit:::, where's the Tylenol!
:101::1036316054:

If we can't find drivers, OD goes straight to the driving schools and offers students who just come off unemployment for 2 years with 24+ hr jobs. That's a nice piece of steak for someone that dropped out of high school or only has a GED. Your seat will be filled quickly, the new guy may not be as smart as you but now we're just a Swift LTL. Look at our banged up equipment.