XPO | 70/30 Bid Splitting

12 months ago the order went out to reduce the work force in anticipation of a soft economy and price increases. And by the end of the first quarter the freight gates opened and we were short handed all year. So this year we keep all our drivers and expand the flex board. Why? to be more FLEXIBLE. Everyone keeps their job and we go into the first of the year better prepared than last year
This exhibits the competence of current management.

12 months ago the order went out to reduce the work force in anticipation of a soft economy and price increases. And by the end of the first quarter the freight gates opened and we were short handed all year. So this year we keep all our drivers and expand the flex board. Why? to be more FLEXIBLE. Everyone keeps their job and we go into the first of the year better prepared than last year
Ten yrs ago you didn't have a problem hiring all the drivers you wanted. You should have meeting and figure out whats different, or just ask drivers what the problem is.

Ten yrs ago you didn't have a problem hiring all the drivers you wanted. You should have meeting and figure out whats different, or just ask drivers what the problem is.

The company, the industry, knows what the problem is, driver shortage... now and even more in the future. I love it, those most infected with CLS have posted for years regarding our company and the fact that "they didn't hire in to be a dock worker". And "why would a driver come here to just load freight five days a week?". So the outlook for recruiting, retaining drivers for LTL is very, very negative. Not because of your villains in Ann Arbor, but because of the industry. So the company communicates the anticipated change in operating model, drivers drive and dock workers work the dock. Read it for yourself, Driver Turnover Rate Rises in Second Quarter | Transport Topics Online | Trucking, Freight Transportation and Logistics News . So there is no magical switch that get's thrown for this change, it doesn't happen over night. At the end of the day the economy and our customers will decide on the needed staffing to get the job done.

I see part time CDL positions in your futures........... Ya can't pay the bills and feed a family on Part Time
The only shortage in this industry is people who will work for free and sit by the phone. Oh yes and 8 to 5 Mon thru Fri.

More flexible=more prepared to bend over the barrel and spread em so management can do whatever they please. Why do folks want a start time? For more predictability in their life. What's wrong with that? How many years does management expect employees to have no life and be ready to go to work at a moments notice?

More flexible=more prepared to bend over the barrel and spread em so management can do whatever they please. Why do folks want a start time? For more predictability in their life. What's wrong with that? How many years does management expect employees to have no life and be ready to go to work at a moments notice?

I remember when i interviewed i agreed to be flexible..to a point. Anyone remember that guy who posted here was on the flexboard for like 6 years? Con-way knows alot of guys are gluttons for punishment and the hopes by the driver that enough people will quit or get fired so they can get that wonderful start time or that wonderful meet and turn run. And alot of guys tolerate that,so of course theyll keep it up. I know guys who have been on the flex for 10-12yrs that work the dock and get the scraps and drive once a week. Now if you sit around on the flex board for tht long, I am sorry, I cannot feel sorry for you. A couple extraboard guys where i work quit, went to Old D and dont know what the dock is anymore. They run more miles than guys who have been at con-way for 10 yrs.

I remember when i interviewed i agreed to be flexible..to a point. Anyone remember that guy who posted here was on the flexboard for like 6 years? Con-way knows alot of guys are gluttons for punishment and the hopes by the driver that enough people will quit or get fired so they can get that wonderful start time or that wonderful meet and turn run. And alot of guys tolerate that,so of course theyll keep it up. I know guys who have been on the flex for 10-12yrs that work the dock and get the scraps and drive once a week. Now if you sit around on the flex board for tht long, I am sorry, I cannot feel sorry for you. A couple extraboard guys where i work quit, went to Old D and dont know what the dock is anymore. They run more miles than guys who have been at con-way for 10 yrs.
We've got flexboard guys with 10 years at our place. They know they can run..it's their choice.

Driver shortage LMAO! There is a shortage of good wages and working conditions. You fix those two problems and there is no "driver shortage"

The company, the industry, knows what the problem is, driver shortage... now and even more in the future. I love it, those most infected with CLS have posted for years regarding our company and the fact that "they didn't hire in to be a dock worker". And "why would a driver come here to just load freight five days a week?". So the outlook for recruiting, retaining drivers for LTL is very, very negative. Not because of your villains in Ann Arbor, but because of the industry. So the company communicates the anticipated change in operating model, drivers drive and dock workers work the dock. Read it for yourself, Driver Turnover Rate Rises in Second Quarter | Transport Topics Online | Trucking, Freight Transportation and Logistics News . So there is no magical switch that get's thrown for this change, it doesn't happen over night. At the end of the day the economy and our customers will decide on the needed staffing to get the job done.

There is no driver shortage, there is a wage and benefits shortage. Wages in the transportation industry has been stagnant for 25 years. Used to be a good profession to get ahead, not anymore. Too many rules, regulations and unfunded mandates just to make the same wages as 20 years ago.

Why don't YOU read the articles, they all cited truck load companies, Don't tell anybody but we're an LTL company. To compare the two shows your complete lack of knowledge of both businesses.

There is no driver shortage, there is a wage and benefits shortage. Wages in the transportation industry has been stagnant for 25 years. Used to be a good profession to get ahead, not anymore. Too many rules, regulations and unfunded mandates just to make the same wages as 20 years ago.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

How does corporate change the Lean culture when they destroy the the very culture they want to enhance?

A couple of years ago I read a article, I wish I could remember where I read it. In it they said that for the longest time there has been a driver shortage. Why? So many drivers move from one company to another that there is no way to get a accurate count.Most drivers only stay a one company for @ 2 years. Thats for over the road. LTL on the other hand is a different story in my opinion. I watch the transportation classifides in the newspaper, around where I am at the ads for LTL only stay for a couple of days. For our management to say that is only a lame excuse to fulfill a want to change the operation without being totally honest. (Oops, there goes another core value out the window) Everybody knows all they want to do is decrease the overtime and cut the drivers off of the dock to cheaper labor to increase profits. Do they really think we are that stupid? What does the future hold for us? Anyone can speculate, anyone can guess. You will NEVER hear a honest and truthful answer for that question out of this management. 100% dock workers? Drivers just drive? All 2and 3 day service on sub-service? Your guess is as good as mine. THAT'S how rumors get started. Lack of HONESTY. Once again we will not hear a honest answer Integrity? That flew out the window along time ago with a jet engine strapped to it.