XPO | 70 hour work week ?

Um, I don't drink kool aid. To much tainted kool aid around now a days.

blue_jello2.jpg

004-9.jpg

JELLO SHOTS?​

If we do start to have runs where there will be laydown runs, Con-Way will have bunkhouses.They won't pay for a motel. There would be a mobile office trailer out front in the employee parking lot with cots in it. That would be the cheap way to do it. Oh boy, Breakfast out of the sandwich machine.

too many pages off topic... somebody hit the cut and dump button please. How about a moderator taking about the last 8 pages and starting a man-hug thread?

here are some points to ponder fellas...

the company could not use the 16 hour exemption if all drivers do not return to their home terminals daily. so no layovers on the horizon in my opinion

is it the relatively shorter runs within the central region (America's Midwest) as to why central has always operated with the 60 hour logs? Or, is it the operating model, a company operating 6 days a week as opposed to 7?

why change to a 70 hr log? Is there now an issue with drivers being over hours in Central? I wonder if there are enough statistics within our company to compare crash data between those running 60 vs 70 hours and any difference in the number of fatigue related incidences at the end of the work week? Would the data show drivers to be operating with less attention to safety when their hours of service total is above 60?

too many pages off topic... somebody hit the cut and dump button please. How about a moderator taking about the last 8 pages and starting a man-hug thread?

the company could not use the 16 hour exemption if all drivers do not return to their home terminals daily. so no layovers on the horizon in my opinion

is it the relatively shorter runs within the central region (America's Midwest) as to why central has always operated with the 60 hour logs? Or, is it the operating model, a company operating 6 days a week as opposed to 7?

why change to a 70 hr log? Is there now an issue with drivers being over hours in Central? I wonder if there are enough statistics within our company to compare crash data between those running 60 vs 70 hours and any difference in the number of fatigue related incidences at the end of the work week? Would the data show drivers to be operating with less attention to safety when their hours of service total is above 60?

Worst case scenario...YRCW doesn't make it.

With that being said...the influx of freight levels may be substantial. We are already getting busier by the day and just recently set a new volume record (which I am sure will fall soon as levels continue to increase).

We are seeing an inordinant amount of vias everyday. These are necessitated by the lack of available personnel and/or equipment to move freight from the SICs or FACs...and back. These vias do little for the FACs/SICs other than put the arrival times later to the FACs/SICs therefore causing additional time to perform the tasks at hand without all the vias. We will always have vias...just the nature of the beast. But of late there have been more of them and the trend doesn't seem to be abating.

We are putting on full-time/part-time dock workers at various locations. This will help facilitate expediency in the cross-dock.

Then there is the constant pressure to get your LH people out on time...to be on time to the FACs...and rightfully so. We fight the clock from start to finish. Service must be maintained.

November last we were subjected to the 're-engineering' of our company facilities and personnel. We closed many SICs and FACs combining those with others. This increased stem times and placed additional work loads on the remaining facilities and FACs. We lost many experienced people and then lost more on Black Friday by economic terminations. Rather than simply lay-off those folks...they were terminated.

Now that freight levels are picking up...the company has invited some of these folks to return albeit as new employees...some have and some have not. Additionally we are hiring all new people as well...and it will take time to get the folks up to speed and proficient.

Some months back I suggested these actions may come back to haunt the company when things began to return to normal and levels increased. If YRCW doesn't make it that may indeed happen.

We have neither the personnel nor equipment to handle a significant increase in freight levels if YRCW closes. The TL rates will rise as demand for their services increase...as they will when every other LTL carrier uses them to do sub-service work. Simple supply and demand. Then there may be the availability issue...not being able to get TL carriers when you need them or not at the rates conducive to the bottom line.

If we use Con-Way TL to do all the sub-service work then they are abandoning their own customers which may be more profitable than hauling Con-Way Freight loads.

So then what?

If we see a substantial increase in freight levels and IMHO we won't be able to move the freight in five days and maintain service levels. We will have to move it 24/7 to keep up. The addition of the dock workers should free up the LHers to do more driving and less dock work thereby saving the available hours. So if the LHers are not working the dock when they arrive at the FAC then what are they going to do?

Sleep.

Then there is the economics of it. Why pay a driver at full scale when you can pay a dockworker to do the same task for seven dollars/hr. less? Pay your premium dollars where they are most needed...to folks that are required to be highly skilled and trained in operating a commercial motor vehicle.

Fatigue issues may not be as bad...nothing like driving for hours one way to an FAC...busting your hump in 90+ degree weather or 9 degree weather moving freight and then have do drive back to the SIC and get there on time to make service.

Of course these are just my opinions...but I can definitely see the implementation of a 70 hour book and lay-downs if things go from push to shove. A big factor and concern would be where you would 'lay-down' ::shit:: hole or decency?

Other companies have operated this way for years...and I realize they have been cutting back on this practice using sub-service as an alternative...but that may have to change if the over capacity in the biz disappears.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Let the :ranting2: and :Flame-On: begin...

Rat

I agree with you Merdock. We have run 70 hour logs out here in the west for probably 5 years now. One thing though, there for a while they thought of switching us back to the 60 hour log. So I don't know for the life of me who is making decisions and how they are making them. We are not doing more layovers here. Occasionally because of a linehaul mess up we will have a layover or two. Not regular thing out here.

I just don't understand some decisions, since we are supposed to be all in one now, why is it we still are doing things differently. Now, maybe they want everyone to be on a 70 hour log but that don't explain why they were talking about us going back on 60. I don't run this company but sometimes they make decisions here without really thinking about what they are doing. :annoyed:

Worst case scenario...YRCW doesn't make it.

Then there is the economics of it. Why pay a driver at full scale when you can pay a dockworker to do the same task for seven dollars/hr. less? Pay your premium dollars where they are most needed...to folks that are required to be highly skilled and trained in operating a commercial motor vehicle.

Fatigue issues may not be as bad...nothing like driving for hours one way to an FAC...busting your hump in 90+ degree weather or 9 degree weather moving freight and then have do drive back to the SIC and get there on time to make service.

Of course these are just my opinions...but I can definitely see the implementation of a 70 hour book and lay-downs if things go from push to shove. A big factor and concern would be where you would 'lay-down' ::shit:: hole or decency?

Other companies have operated this way for years...and I realize they have been cutting back on this practice using sub-service as an alternative...but that may have to change if the over capacity in the biz disappears.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Let the :ranting2: and :Flame-On: begin...

Rat

You nailed it Rat but I don't think that it will be as bad as you think. We and other companies are starting to get their companies back into position for the impending YRC failure. Have you seen YRC stock lately? It has doubled in price, from $1.50 to over $3.00. Now I know that 3 bucks isn't much but they are on the up swing.

Conway has always been a company of reaction instead of proactive. If they are looking ahead to what might happen, it is the first time. Years ago when Milne Freight Lines went out they weren't prepared for the influx of freight. When CF went away, again we were so hammered and had freight sitting in the parking lot because we had no more dock space. When UPS went on strike, we had an influx of freight and packages. One thing they did do was cut of the amount of freight we picked up from new customers to make sure they had capacity for our regular customers. That was nice and profound to see.

Prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Sounds like Merdock could use a manhug!:kiss2::puke:

I agree with you Merdock. We have run 70 hour logs out here in the west for probably 5 years now. One thing though, there for a while they thought of switching us back to the 60 hour log. So I don't know for the life of me who is making decisions and how they are making them. We are not doing more layovers here. Occasionally because of a linehaul mess up we will have a layover or two. Not regular thing out here.

I just don't understand some decisions, since we are supposed to be all in one now, why is it we still are doing things differently. Now, maybe they want everyone to be on a 70 hour log but that don't explain why they were talking about us going back on 60. I don't run this company but sometimes they make decisions here without really thinking about what they are doing. :annoyed:

I thought why you guys ran a 70 hour log was that your reships are more spread out down south and out west then they are in central

You nailed it Rat but I don't think that it will be as bad as you think. We and other companies are starting to get their companies back into position for the impending YRC failure. Have you seen YRC stock lately? It has doubled in price, from $1.50 to over $3.00. Now I know that 3 bucks isn't much but they are on the up swing.
They may be worried that they Might make it
Then the labor cost should be less also

Conway has always been a company of reaction instead of proactive. If they are looking ahead to what might happen, it is the first time. Years ago when Milne Freight Lines went out they weren't prepared for the influx of freight. When CF went away, again we were so hammered and had freight sitting in the parking lot because we had no more dock space. When UPS went on strike, we had an influx of freight and packages. One thing they did do was cut of the amount of freight we picked up from new customers to make sure they had capacity for our regular customers. That was nice and profound to see.

Learned a bit from NW about moving everyones freight
( during a strike )

Prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Their ya go good luck to all

I thought why you guys ran a 70 hour log was that your reships are more spread out down south and out west then they are in central

I really don't know the reason why at all. I did hear that was a reason why we run the 70 but that is all hear say. I don't know.

Rat,

I don't know about everywhere else but we are so short on power there is no way we could afford lay-down runs around here during the week. Plus, we bid like 50 terminals we can reach - it just would not make sense around here. Also, if they did away with many of them out west, I cannot see any advantage to doing them out here. At one point, a terminal I worked at ran 11 FAC's and 2 meets. I see no advantage to lay-down runs here.

Via's. I don't see how system or lay-down drivers would improve this. The other night there was a terminal at my FAC that had 13 in-bound trailers and 2 drivers. They are only about 100 miles away so I don't see how lay-down runs would help this. I get some bad (good for me) via's that have me running 320+ miles before I get to the FAC but right now I don't see a better way. If we went to lay-down runs here, drivers from the mid-west would run between Hagerstown and Baltimore/Jessup 100 times before they went home running mt's half the time. I can make either terminal to drop loads that would have added to the mess. I might go to Baltimore to drop Baltimore loads, pick 2 FAC loads, and be able to get 2 back to my barn. If I go to Baltimore on the way home there are empty miles but right now I don't see a better way.

The 70 hour book is for 7 day carriers, am I correct here? If so, I could see old CCX going to it to run the last day line-haul on Saturday and the first night line-haul on Sunday.

This is what confuses me. Why are Western and Southern on 70 and I'm on 60? I don't won't 70 but I'm curious why they are different. Does it have something to do with the density of terminals and smaller service areas?

I questioned my DOT about the use of the 70 hr. week in 5 days... was told that it's legal, but not all that ethical. He said as long as the driver doesn't exceed his daily hours, I can run the 5 14's... He asked how the heck I do it without falling asleep!!!

ELIMINATE EMPTY MILES, ELIMINATE EMPTY MILES. I remember hearing this a lot in the videos. This is what I don't understand about their thinking. SC X cuts a run, They have 4 trailers going to the reship, 6 trailers coming back. The reship will create 4 vias to cover the original 2 trailers. Thus creating 4 times the empty miles compared to the original empty miles if they were to send someone to the reship from SC X.
I have also seen pure trailers sent 150 miles out of the way to eliminate empty miles. Then ending up creating 2 or 3 vias to cover that trailer because the receiving terminal went over at the reship.
Wouldn't it make more sense to send the amount of drivers to the reship to cover the freight? Eliminate the need to cram and jam the freight into a trailer and eliminate damages and claims? Seems like they are spending more money and accomplishing less. Am I thinking too clearly?

ELIMINATE EMPTY MILES, ELIMINATE EMPTY MILES. I remember hearing this a lot in the videos. This is what I don't understand about their thinking. SC X cuts a run, They have 4 trailers going to the reship, 6 trailers coming back. The reship will create 4 vias to cover the original 2 trailers. Thus creating 4 times the empty miles compared to the original empty miles if they were to send someone to the reship from SC X.
I have also seen pure trailers sent 150 miles out of the way to eliminate empty miles. Then ending up creating 2 or 3 vias to cover that trailer because the receiving terminal went over at the reship.
Wouldn't it make more sense to send the amount of drivers to the reship to cover the freight? Eliminate the need to cram and jam the freight into a trailer and eliminate damages and claims? Seems like they are spending more money and accomplishing less. Am I thinking too clearly?

Yes you are thinking too clearly. Logic and common sense have no place here,just do what your told and never question your superiors unless you want to be asked the million dollar question.:biglaugh: It seems that many,many times they are over engineering this whole operation. It's not that hard to figure out but those in charge of ops. sometimes make me just laugh at their strategies. I shouldn't complain because it makes me lots of money!:biglaugh: