Holland | 705 Latest Information 6.26.2008

Chicago Roadway said......

Maybe I can clarify this for Chicago Roadway.
We have always had a 75 mile radius from chicago's main post office as our jurisdiction in 705. As you know, there are 3 or 4 other locals that are well within that 75 radius and represent drivers who work for our company. How/why this was allowed to happen over the years is beyond me. (Backroom deals between the company and joint council and locals perhaps?) Doing this limits each locals strength. These companies have set up satelite terminals all around the fringe areas, but still in the 75 miles radius, for the sole purpose of getting out of the 705 and 710 work rules. Joliet's terminal was built new some years ago with this in mind and after a ruling by the joint council 25, it is was deemed that the 179 will represent them. The Joliet terminal's area was the 705's area for decades. It ran joliet and on out -1-80 to seneca and south 20 miles from Seneca. 40-50 miles past joliet.

What the 705 wants is NOT to expand their jurisdiction. IT ALREADY IS THEIR JURISDICTION TO BEGIN WITH!
We cannot do anything about whats currently going on regarding other locals representing our drivers in our area. Joint Council allowed that mess to start and continue and it is what it is. BUT, until recently, the 705 didn't have an officer sitting on the Joint Council, which is why we got stiffed on the new joliet barns opening. We now HAVE an officer from our local on Joint Council and he is our S-T.

What we (705) can do is require that ANY NEW TERMINALS OPENED IN OUR AREA ,ARE TO BE SERVED BY THE 705. We are fighting ourselves (other teamster locals) for our own territory. The 150 mile language in our proposal is for any NEW terminals opened, not existing ones already represented by another local.

In my opinion........Joint Council 25 should have a big pow-wow and talk about merging all these outskirt locals BACK into the 705. That's Teamster Strength in a nutshell. With multiple locals, the company can get anything they desire the old way. With one, they wouldn't.
They got us by the g*nads as it is.

Thank that explains a lot and also thank you unionist that explains a lot...

The me too clause in 710 and 179 may make getting anything more a difficult...

I can see one local for the area some day
be it 705 or maybe a new one who knows
but we are loosing bargaining power with DIVISION and good explanations like you have provided give us a better understanding of each local.. thanks again

I guess you have to work at the JO terminal to understand.

The more people try to esplain Lucy, the more confused I get. Maybe we should get Unionist to add this chapter to his novel,
"The Greaty Union Liberator", I hear he is going to be on Oprah's book of the month club, check your TV schedule for day & time :funky:

GOD BLESS AMERICA :USA:Happy 4th of July

Lumpersam