Holland | $750 bonus

I was never a fan of a $750.00 bonus instead of a pay raise. I always wanted the raise instead. The bonus is a one time deal, the raise is the$750.00 gift that keeps on giving every year. But hey, that's just me.
Hopefully you all get one.

$750.00 is a joke, after taxes it is chump change , even a .05 cent raise a hour would have been better , but that's just my opinion .

$750.00 is a joke, after taxes it is chump change , even a .05 cent raise a hour would have been better , but that's just my opinion .

Respect your opinion but the fact is a ,05 raise on 40 hours is only 104 per year.
Even with 10 hours per week ot at .075 a nickel raise would net you 140.92 per year

Respect your opinion but the fact is a ,05 raise on 40 hours is only 104 per year.
Even with 10 hours per week ot at .075 a nickel raise would net you 140.92 per year[/QUOTE , Yes ,you are correct , but if you take that $140.92 x 10 years =$1409.20 or at 15 years = $2113.80 and plus you are not taxed as high then in this $750. bonus , but again it is each person's way of looking at it .

Short term and you're desperate for cash, the $750.00 is better for you.
Long term and you see the big picture, the pay raise easily outweighs the bonus. It's a no-brainer. A normal pay raise is equal to the $750.00. The difference is that the pay raise brings in that $750.00 every year........forever. That's not up for debate......that's a fact.

Short term and you're desperate for cash, the $750.00 is better for you.
Long term and you see the big picture, the pay raise easily outweighs the bonus. It's a no-brainer. A normal pay raise is equal to the $750.00. The difference is that the pay raise brings in that $750.00 every year........forever. That's not up for debate......that's a fact.
I was talking about .05/hour for a year vs 750.00 lump for a year.the 750 is about .36/hour for 40 hrs/ week.I fully realize a long term raise would be better.But Northern a nickel per hour forever vs 750 once would take 7 years to catch up.If you
Invested the 450 or so you get after taxes into stock that did decent the nickel would never catch up.

I wasn't referring to anyone's post Falconfan or their example. I was just stating the facts.

:1036316054:

And your stock investment scenario has nothing to do with the raise and bonus scenario.

Even with 10 hours per week ot at .075 a nickel raise would net you 140.92 per year

Maybe what you don't realize is the bonus is a one time thing instead of .34/hour raise. . .34/hour x 40hrs x 52 weeks =$707.20 X every year = $21,216.00 over a 30 year career. YRC made out big time by getting us to accept a one time bonus instead of an hourly raise.

Even a 2 cents per hour raise would have been better than a one time bonus.

One $750.00 bonus= $750.00
A normal $.36 cents per hour raise for one year=$748.oo That same raise of $748.00 for 30 years=$22,440.00.

Sorry, but I won't be needing your investment advice.
:biglaugh:
This is getting out of whack Flash.I fully understand even a quarter raise would be better than a one time bonus of even 2000 dollars if you stayed 5 years.For one thing we were talking about a nickel and now 2 cents and I would take a one time bonus .It would take over 17 years to recoup 2 cents per hour and each to his own but I wouldn't take that investment advice either.Please reread post#10.

We all lose money with a lump sum bonus.Taxes with held is nothing compared to what we could earn with at least a 5% increase in wages or more.Look at your year ending check gross and net.Dont you think that would make a little difference with a pay raise?

We all lose money with a lump sum bonus.Taxes with held is nothing compared to what we could earn with at least a 5% increase in wages or more.Look at your year ending check gross and net.Dont you think that would make a little difference with a pay raise?
This is what I tried to tell the younger guy's when they threw in a signing bonus on the contract,no raise in first 2 years of contract,not for me give a 10 cent raise and I have that over the life of the contract and something to keep adding to "nuff said c'ya later

This is what I tried to tell the younger guy's when they threw in a singing bonus on the contract,no raise in first 2 years of contract,not for me give a 10 cent raise and I have that over the life of the contract and something to keep adding to "nuff said c'ya later
We always take a loss with a one lump sum bonus.Now if you're an executive and you get a one time bonus.Its usually in the tune of millions of dollars or some amount of valued stock.Just like our two executives received recently in Overland Park.Along with a new employment contract.As reported in the recent KCBJ (Kansas City Business Journal).Not to mention the company has turned around financially.As reported in the KCBJ

One $750.00 bonus= $750.00
A normal $.36 cents per hour raise for one year=$748.oo That same raise of $748.00 for 30 years=$22,440.00.

Sorry, but I won't be needing your investment advice.
:biglaugh:
Yes and multiply that for every year you take the bonus.! Why do you think they were so willing to offer it ? Thanks to the MOU, it is what it is.!

No one wanted the 750.00 dollars in lieu of a standard raise,that would be stupid.I do not know how this is getting twisted into thinking anyone would have preferred a bonus over a standard raise.Falling behind hourly is the reason I went as far to applying,interviewing,drug tested ,road tested and hired at what I consider the best non Union LTL out there.It took three weeks to get the phone call to congratulate me and ask me for a start date and by then I backed out because of their insurance vs ours.I also talked to terminal manager at UPS Freight and he told me he would hire me and before I drug tested and road tested I called him and thanked him but did not accept job because of the pay for the first 3 years.
We will fall behind again this year and the gap is closing on which jobs are better for us out there but in the meantime I prefer to be thankful and work hard for the one I have.

Last edited:
No one wanted the 750.00 dollars in lieu of a standard raise,that would be stupid.I do not know how this is getting twisted into thinking anyone would have preferred a bonus over a standard raise.Falling behind hourly is the reason I went as far to applying,interviewing,drug tested ,road tested and hired at what I consider the best non Union LTL out there.It took three weeks to get the phone call to congratulate me and ask me for a start date and by then I backed out because of their insurance vs ours.I also talked to terminal manager at UPS Freight and he told me he would hire me and before I drug tested and road tested I called him and thanked him but did not accept job because of the pay for the first 3 years.
We will fall behind again this year and the gap is closing on which jobs are better for us out there but in the meantime I prefer to be thankful and work hard for the one I have.
And to make matters worse it`s TWO years!!! Dont forget that wonderful signing bonus from last year!