FedEx Freight | 90 Day lay off

exit580

TB Lurker
Credits
So whats the Deal with This 90 day lay off ? Im a new hire line driver been here only a month and a half and of course Im on the cut list..I was told If there is no spot for me at the transfer terminal come Jan 30 I can either Take the Severance or go on 90 day lay off.....Sooo if i go on 90 day lay off and they still dont have a spot for me after 90 days can I still collect the severance , or Will i be S.O.L. Then

Good question , I'll bet from the way it's going the answer is NO.
Take the 90 and see ya OR take the severance and see ya. I really
don't know what I would do honestly. Sometimes I would like to just
walk away from FedEx and never look back , someday I will. Good
luck in your hard decision my friend.

No, you can't take the severance if you take the 90 day layoff.
You will only get the severance after the 90 day layoff. After Jan. 30 you can opt. for the 90 day layoff and keep your seniority if a spot opens up during that time, if not you will receive the severance after the 90 days. Either way in order to collect the severance you have to be here on Jan. 30, at least that is the way management explained it to me in Charlotte. Wish you the best.

You will only get the severance after the 90 day layoff. After Jan. 30 you can opt. for the 90 day layoff and keep your seniority if a spot opens up during that time, if not you will receive the severance after the 90 days. Either way in order to collect the severance you have to be here on Jan. 30, at least that is the way management explained it to me in Charlotte. Wish you the best.

okay so come Jan 30 I can just take the severance or opt for the 90 day lay off ?... so Confused..wish they would offer it now Id be the hell out

Last edited by a moderator:
call that hotline number on the paper and ask questions, I have and the lady was very pleasant on the other end.

Use it, thats what it's there for.

You will get severance if you elect the layoff option and are not recalled during the 90 days - Double check with your SCM or HR.

I may be wrong, we just had a meeting with the regional HR person and she told us it was one or the other.

Do you have the FAQ?

I may be wrong, we just had a meeting with the regional HR person and she told us it was one or the other.

If so check out the 22 page FAQ that many people got (I don't believe it was supposed to be handed out but there is some good info in there).

It clearly states that by electing the layoff option you basically just postpone your right to severance if you are not recalled within the 90 day period. Get the money on the front end or give it a shot for 90 days and collect the money then if it doesn't work out.

But Jeff is correct, call HR in HRO to make sure you get the correct info ... There is a lot of misinformation floating around.

yes once you are on 90 days you can take the sev package at any time during that time if you go all the way to 90 days yes you get it thats 100% correct

no you can still take the severance plus draw unimployment

I don't think you can take the severance and collect unemployment. If you read the severance section of that form it says you resign your position and accept the severance payout. If you resign you don't qualify for unemployment. The way I took it is if you take the layoff you collect unemployment and after 90 days if no position opens you keep collecting unemployment but if you choose the severance you get 1 payment and no unemployment

It might depend on what state you live in

I don't think you can take the severance and collect unemployment. If you read the severance section of that form it says you resign your position and accept the severance payout. If you resign you don't qualify for unemployment. The way I took it is if you take the layoff you collect unemployment and after 90 days if no position opens you keep collecting unemployment but if you choose the severance you get 1 payment and no unemployment

I can only strongly advise that you check in with your state unemployment insurance to find out what rules apply where you live ... FedEx is not going to give you any legal advice that could get them in trouble.

Hearing the same thing at my barn...

So whats the Deal with This 90 day lay off ? Im a new hire line driver been here only a month and a half and of course Im on the cut list..I was told If there is no spot for me at the transfer terminal come Jan 30 I can either Take the Severance or go on 90 day lay off.....Sooo if i go on 90 day lay off and they still dont have a spot for me after 90 days can I still collect the severance , or Will i be S.O.L. Then

They are only offering two weeks pay per each year of service The way I read it there is no severance pay for anything less I ask if you x amount of years including a half year and was told no single week would be paid

Not true ...

They are only offering two weeks pay per each year of service The way I read it there is no severance pay for anything less I ask if you x amount of years including a half year and was told no single week would be paid

Even if you were hired two weeks ago you would get the minimum severance of 12 weeks pay plus $1500.00 on top of it.

That's what I eluded to in my earlier post - You need to talk to your manager, HR or someone that knows (and can communicate) what's really going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you were hired two weeks ago you would get the minimum severance of 20 weeks pay plus $1500.00 on top of it.

What he said. A driver hired yesterday that accepts or is eligible for the package gets the minimum weeks for their board, plus the slush-fund.

I have the paper in my hand and it says...2 weeks per each year of service (minimum 12 weeks and max 40 weeks) plus $1500.00 Transition assistance