Estes | 977 runs being weeded out? Contractors stealing freight?

Sounds like they hired a new numbers guy who has convinced the good people in Richmond that the last numbers guy had it all wrong and all of his vast experience he brings from being a numbers guru for Advanced Auto for 8 months gives him the incredable insite that Will save the company hundreds of dollars a year and not to be disrespectful to a company that's been in the biz of hauling freight for 275 yeArs but,Damn,ya all don't have a clue about cost effective ways of running freight to the same place from the same place for 90 years(apparently they really don't) and if they don't adopt his idea Estes is sure to fall into financial ruin,and hey,what if a couple of truck drivers quit,we really don't need them anyway and let me explain why.Thats what it sounds like to me

Everyone uses Purchase Transportation (PT) nowadays. Read the other forums. Its the goose that laid the golden egg. They bring us freight (if you are city) and subsidize our wages. Of course that doesn't matter if you are not working at all. It tears my heart up to see our teams sitting there while the contractors get all the work. I don't understand why Estes invested in a fleet of new sleeper cabs. Why not use them? I think Old Dominion uses PT the least. Keep that in mind if you are job hunting right now. Also ask your TM if you can work in another terminal that needs drivers temporarily. Maybe you can stay with family/friends while working somewhere else. Freight has always been a boom/bust cycle for one reason or another.

If that,s gonna be the trend,they need to quit over-hiring.I know the workforce is aging,but that dont mean they are retiring.

Get used to it guys. It's coming, as more companies figure out how to make it reliable. It is cost effective.

FedEx Freight spends about 17% of their total budget on Purchase. That includes rail. It also equates to around 50% of the entire line haul budget.

They say it's only used in unbalanced lanes... You'll have to be the judge of that.

"Song" is right, OD is still doing things the right way, and is also the most profitable LTL out there.