Holland | a bunch of questions

slinky

TB Regular
Credits
whats up everyone.ok i have a bunch of questions to ask about employment at holland.i pretty much no nothing about the union world . after reading these boards i realize now im working for chinese wages :furious: i work for one of these smaller ltl companys (pjax).ive been there 2 years.i fell into that job on accident and thought it was a good job till i discovered this website :tongue1: .so if anyone can help answer a few of these questions it would be much appreciated.keep in mind i know nothing about how real jobs opperate..

1. i realize this may be a bad time of year to try and get a linehaul job in cleveland but im willing to wait .anyone know if there hiring ? i have 5 yr exp with 0 points on mvr and no criminal history.

2. what kinds of work do linehaul drivers get paid for other than driving ? (where im at i get nothing but driving , i could wait 4 hours on a load and get nothing)

3.how long do you think it takes before you see the house regulary during the week ? and how many days can they keep you on the road here? home every weekend ? ever get by house at all during week when new?

4. new guys do decent on miles ?

5. whats the vacation table ?

6.anyone know how long you have to wait to get health ins from start date?

7.do they bounce you around alot , like 100 miles stop ,100 miles stop etc etc or you get good long runs alot 400-500-600 miles with out stops?

8. the usf website says there hiring road drivers in akron.what if i tried to get in there would they let you transfer when theres a opening in cleveland or should i wait for cleveland ? akrons just a little to far for me

man i had alot more questions but since im dead tired ill have to come back and sleep on the rest.questions 1-3 very important to me..thanks for your time im starting to see the light and im itching to make a move.im 29 yrs old now and sooo ready to quit wasting my time in life.

1. this isn't a bad time right now trying to get on.
2. we get paid for drop & hooks, fuel time, all time spent at the terminal when you past 14 and 12 Hours DOT rest, and get paid while unloading and loading your trailer
3. cant say when you could get on a regular schedule. But you do get home sometimes during the week, and have some or part of the weekend off before heading back out for the next week!
4. yes new guys do get good miles. depending what terminal your at. If your home then the senior driver gets the better run and the rest will trickle down to you.
5. Got to work 1 full year first and get 1 weeks vacation, work 2 years and get 2 weeks vacation.
6. 90 days after you start I believe you will get your medical
7. sometimes you will get a small run, then get a big run for the rest of the night. But sometimes you will get a small paying
8. If you want Cleveland you can go into the city until a linehaul position is avaible. No you can't transfer if you would get hired on in Akron.

Good luck!

Insurance starts 90 days after you get your 30 days in. Also vacations are two weeks after you get 60 percent of your second year in. Then 3 weeks vacation after 8 years and 4 weeks after 15 years and 5 weeks after 20 years and 6 weeks after 30 years. Plus you get 5 sick days, one personal day, plus 8 paid holidays.

appreciate the come backs big time..thanks for replying,im going to get my butt down there on monday and try..if there not hiring ill just keep trying ..i could survive at my job now till i get in here..untill then ill be working for chinese wages :razz:

hillbilly frog said:
Hey keck try ABF. How close are you to North Lima?

65 miles away...that wouldnt work.do they have one closer to cleveland ? i been looking at union jobs and this one seems to be the closest to my house and i think it could work good for me..thanks for the reply !

within the last day the website added cleveland to the list of places hiring linehaul drivers..ill be there mon..:bananalama: :Pick-Me:

good luck keck: my hire was 6 weeks from application to working. you will like working here. learn fast, run legal, and dont complain in public.

The only thing I have to add is once you are out in the system it is first in first out with the longest load available at the time.

Home time during the week? It just depends on where you are out of and the amount of freight going into your terminal. Cleveland does a lot on east coast relay and west freight coming out of the east. So you could possible be home during the week.

Pay you really get paid for everthing you do to include waiting around for a run.

If you get bounced around on short miles you are always guareented 8 hrs pay at least for the night.

any other questions? Good Luck.

Sharkey said:
2. all time spent at the terminal when you past 14 and 12 Hours DOT rest

this is about the only one i didnt quite understand.anyone care to explain this one ?

how long can they keep you out 4,5,6,7 days at the most ?? are you guaranteed to at least be home one night on the weekend ? just wondering i could deal with either way just trying to figure out excactly what im trying to get into.thanks again

There are no guarentees at USF Learn to live out of a suitcase.You'll run,run some more,and even more.great on the pay---Hell on a family.great for a single person (or ugly person with no good chance of a life) That's why I'm a former USF driver------never home.

Keck-Your first two trips you go on the clock after 14 hours at the end of your trip in a foreign terminal. Every dispatch after that your paid time starts at 12 hours in the motel-Provided you do not return home during the week.After probation [30 days] log heavy and do not topline and you'll be home on Sunday nite out of hours till Monday.