TForce | A/C Question...

UPSFreightDUId

TB Lurker
Credits
At my terminal we have a straight truck manufactured in 1996, it was originally owned by Rollins Leasing, then purchased by Overnite. Overnite shops had installed an A/C compressor and fabricated a bracket to mount on the engine. Their is a problem with the pullies that causes the belts to break from time to time. UPS Freight will fix it, and it will go out a month or so later. Well, its Summer time, and 90+ degrees everyday, the A/C has been out for a few weeks now. The company will not fix it, they will not even install a fan in there (like whats in the Yard Trucks). Is their anything we can do about this?

I know Article 45: Airconditioning, does not apply as it is only for newly manufactured road tractors that are assigned to the fleet.

Any help is greatly appreciated

At my terminal we have a straight truck manufactured in 1996, it was originally owned by Rollins Leasing, then purchased by Overnite. Overnite shops had installed an A/C compressor and fabricated a bracket to mount on the engine. Their is a problem with the pullies that causes the belts to break from time to time. UPS Freight will fix it, and it will go out a month or so later. Well, its Summer time, and 90+ degrees everyday, the A/C has been out for a few weeks now. The company will not fix it, they will not even install a fan in there (like whats in the Yard Trucks). Is their anything we can do about this?

I know Article 45: Airconditioning, does not apply as it is only for newly manufactured road tractors that are assigned to the fleet.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Maintenance of standards. file a grievance.

Not sure where but I think the contract says that it has to supply a air conditioned cab for the line trucks. But doesn't say it does for the city trucks. Knowing UPS they will use that as a argument to not fix that truck.

Put the truck Out of Service - as being Unsafe!

Tell them that even with both windows down...

Air circulation is not achievable - because of an apparent design flaw!

Instead of pulling fresh air < in > from the outside (while the truck is in motion)

The exact opposite actually takes place!

A Reverse Vacuum creates a barrier at each window - pulling what air there is in the cab < out >

Causing - Lack of Oxygen!

fmcsa.jpg

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - Part 396: Inspection, repair, and maintenance_§396.3 Inspection, repair and maintenance.

(a)(1) Parts and accessories shall be in safe and proper operating condition at all times. These include those specified in Part 393 of this subchapter and any additional parts and accessories which may affect safety of operation, including but not limited to, frame and frame assemblies, suspension systems, axles and < attaching parts >, wheels and rims, and steering systems.

Put the truck Out of Service - as being Unsafe!

Instead of pulling fresh air < in > from the outside (while the truck is in motion)

The exact opposite actually takes place!

A Reverse Vacuum creates a barrier at each window - pulling what air there is in the cab < out >

Causing - Lack of Oxygen!

fmcsa.jpg

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - Part 396: Inspection, repair, and maintenance_§396.3 Inspection, repair and maintenance.

(a)(1) Parts and accessories shall be in safe and proper operating condition at all times. These include those specified in Part 393 of this subchapter and any additional parts and accessories which may affect safety of operation, including but not limited to, frame and frame assemblies, suspension systems, axles and < attaching parts >, wheels and rims, and steering systems.

That's Awesome and so true! I noticed it.
Nik For President! (Helping UPSF Teamsters get on the same page.) :thumbsup:

..well I think this is sad..I`d like to see some pictures.

The Fleet Service Manager should be ashamed his equipment is of this shape...

did not have ac when i drove.still made the co money and made deliveries...tough it out...life is good...nothing says you have to have lugeries to make a living...rlm

I started out Non-AC and I dealt with it.
Now that I use equipment with factory installed AC, it better work.

If it's a retrofitted after market AC, it better work because it did before.

All others non-ac units should have a fan installed.
That's if we still have them around, my barn doesn't have them any longer.

You have got to kidding me!!!

put the truck out of service - as being unsafe!

the exact opposite actually takes place!

A reverse vacuum creates a barrier at each window - pulling what air there is in the cab < out >

causing - lack of oxygen!

fmcsa.jpg

federal motor carrier safety administration - part 396: Inspection, repair, and maintenance_§396.3 inspection, repair and maintenance.

(a)(1) parts and accessories shall be in safe and proper operating condition at all times. these include those specified in part 393 of this subchapter and any additional parts and accessories which may affect safety of operation, including but not limited to, frame and frame assemblies, suspension systems, axles and < attaching parts >, wheels and rims, and steering systems.

nkideisel?: Where did you come from???? I have never heard of this much sh!t.when did you start to drive...there would have been no freight delivered when i drove if this was the question...is this the new age trucker ? No ac no dlvry...god help us...what a bunch of pu$$ys.is this what trucking is coming to?climate control ...jimmy hoffa put this in his contract?i didn't see anywhere?just wishing????earn your money like the rest of did and quit whining....like the old days...you wanted the union..act like it....rlm

..well you have a point about BACK IN THE DAY...but that's not the question now is it...this unit has a/c but is inop...now whether he uses it of not is his chose....its the Fleet Service Managers responsibility to see that his equipment is operating safely and correctly...

Question

..well you have a point about back in the day...but that's not the question now is it...this unit has a/c but is inop...now whether he uses it of not is his chose....its the fleet service managers responsibility to see that his equipment is operating safely and correctly...

what do you mean safetly ? How can an ac bring safety..workr=ed for years without it.didn't pass out.kept dlvrn frt with injuries.why now is this an issue????

Dockworker

Whats your prob.nothing said in my msg ment no harm compaired to anything else in this thread.why cut me out.is it somethint that is the truth and you want nobody to see..everybody else gets to say whats on there mind.why not me...is this a non union thread or what,,are you biased ..i have seen a lot worst and can show you..have i insulted a friend of yours or what..i didn't meat to if i did...just speaking my mind like the rest the the others...is that injustice....let met know if i did and i will step back...rlm

what do you mean safetly ? How can an ac bring safety..workr=ed for years without it.didn't pass out.kept dlvrn frt with injuries.why now is this an issue????
..guy you really need to read a entire comment...and correctly was the rest of that sentance.This is not a shade tree garage where things are patched up to run just a little longer till pay day.No a a/c would not be a safety issue,imhho,but it would be a indication just how responsible the shop in question was.Waiting on parts or time to do it are one thing but just refusing to do it is quite another....

That`s the correctly part...if the unit has it/or was put on it...it should work.

did not have ac when i drove.still made the co money and made deliveries...tough it out...life is good...nothing says you have to have lugeries to make a living...rlm

I didn't know we were allowed to wear lugeries to work anyway. I thought we all had to wear uniforms . I think my wife would be mad if I wore hers .Do you have your own? I thought about this and I think I get it . You don't need A/C when you wear lugeries because they are cooler.

If the unit never had A/C installed on it, thats cool, I can understand...but b/c it was retrofitted, we at my terminal, feel it should be maintained. Driver asked for a deadline tag the other day, dispatcher refused to give the driver the tag. Steward got in contact with a regional safety person about the situation, our terminal got a rental truck. We were told the shop was going to repair the A/C issue today, nothing occurred. Maybe tommorrow? We don't have a shop at my terminal, shop guys come from the main hub in the region to do repairs, usually once or twice a week.

not the question

If the unit never had A/C installed on it, thats cool, I can understand...but b/c it was retrofitted, we at my terminal, feel it should be maintained. Driver asked for a deadline tag the other day, dispatcher refused to give the driver the tag. Steward got in contact with a regional safety person about the situation, our terminal got a rental truck. We were told the shop was going to repair the A/C issue today, nothing occurred. Maybe tommorrow? We don't have a shop at my terminal, shop guys come from the main hub in the region to do repairs, usually once or twice a week.

the question is can we as ups still deliver freight without a ac.the answer is yes.or do we as non drivers stand back and make our curstomers suffer because of of the inconvience of our drivers that we were used to years ago...please answer that...

the question is can we as ups still deliver freight without a ac.the answer is yes.or do we as non drivers stand back and make our curstomers suffer because of of the inconvience of our drivers that we were used to years ago...please answer that...
Its not years ago it is 2009. Do you still have a hand crank on the front of that tractor? Should I go out on my run with a johnson bar or should I take a pallet jack and hand truck? We can do anything today BETTER than we could yesterday. Should we put 200 ctns on the floor with a hand truck and deliver the same way like everyone did in the past or should we find a couple of pallets and shrink wrap them up and make it easier for everyone. Do as Steward said file on Article 29.
:clap: