A Complete Guide to the Future of U.S. Freight Movement

princess

smh..
Credits
A Complete Guide to the Future of U.S. Freight Movement - CityLab

But the money will be there. The American Trucking Association forecasts a surge in revenue of 72 percent by 2025 as a result of the increased volume and tonnage, and industry investment is the response. Daimler's "Highway Pilot," an autonomous truck, has already driven itself on the Autobahn and is slated to enter service in 10 to 15 years. More immediate advances include telematics, "platooning" software, efficiency-improving automated manual transmissions, and service features like the ability to control a tractor from outside the cab with a tablet for difficult parking scenarios.

Thanks for the information. That is a good read. We have seen what we thought were huge changes in the freight industry but this prediction shows that staying business will require wholesale changes.

too long for me to read, and not doze off, so i will quote from the piece you have here....

But the money will be there. The American Trucking Association forecasts a surge in revenue of 72 percent by 2025 as a result of the increased volume and tonnage, and industry investment is the response. Daimler's "Highway Pilot," an autonomous truck, has already driven itself on the Autobahn and is slated to enter service in 10 to 15 years. More immediate advances include telematics, "platooning" software, efficiency-improving automated manual transmissions, and service features like the ability to control a tractor from outside the cab with a tablet for difficult parking scenarios.

uh...no....no....no....no....

i do not want to see self driving ANYTHING, let alone big rigs.

nor do i wanna see "little Johnny" doing a grown person's job.(using a remote control to park a truck)

for crying out loud, just put the freight onto rails like what is being done now, cutting the miles driver USED to get, and make a living.

if the trucking industry follows along with self driving trucks, Little Johnny parking them, then i say everyone bail out now, screw'em.

they wanna take away a person's living..??

is what all this amounts to.

if this pans out, where in 10 to 15 years this "could take place", i will be so happy that i RETIRED earlier than that proposed time.

it's all the people getting into the industry (in say 5 years from now), that'll be getting screwed

Has anyone ever seen one of these newer trucks on the side of the road with a complete system failure? I have. Can you imagine what will happen if anyone were to hack into the navigational system network? How about the black screen of death coming to an 80,000 pound guided missile near you? Imagine if it were just one company! One computer navigational glitch could put a company out of business in a matter of days instead of years.

Yes indeed. It might be an easy way to eliminate those companies who would rather invest in technology instead of people. It is like sending drones to do the job of a soldier, how much valor do you attach to a machine who is willing to give his circuitry for his programmers? Change who has control of the machine and you have an easy path to more Government control of industry. And they have done so well with what they have been entrusted with so far.

thank you so much for saying, what i have bolded, underlined, and italicized.....

Has anyone ever seen one of these newer trucks on the side of the road with a complete system failure? I have. Can you imagine what will happen if anyone were to hack into the navigational system network? How about the black screen of death coming to an 80,000 pound guided missile near you? Imagine if it were just one company! One computer navigational glitch could put a company out of business in a matter of days instead of years.

Yes indeed. It might be an easy way to eliminate those companies who would rather invest in technology instead of people. It is like sending drones to do the job of a soldier, how much valor do you attach to a machine who is willing to give his circuitry for his programmers? Change who has control of the machine and you have an easy path to more Government control of industry. And they have done so well with what they have been entrusted with so far.

WTF do i mean when i say..thank you...??

on another truckers website, that i had been banned from, for life...oh God, the world has ended for me......not

(and a few others that are members here as well were banned from),

i have "coined" that very same thing.....

​80,000 POUND GUIDED MISSILE.......

​yet those "know it all's" give out advice to convicted felons, alcoholics, and druggies like they will actually get jobs, but oh no...no 80,000 big rig can never be in the same category as a guided missile....

I watched a fuel tanker passe me on its side and burn up pretty close to the bulk mail center in Dallas Texas. What the guy was doing there I don't know, it was a hazmat load and he was driving right through the middle of Dallas headed for Rowlett.

He was young, foreign and green. Luckily he got out of the truck before he burned to death in it. Looked like a bomb to me and they had to redo that section of I-30 East because the fire burned the concrete. And after lending him my jacket until they picked him up, he tried to sue me. But he didn't get very far with it because he should have never been on that section of I-30 in the first place.