A Drug Free company

silvertooth

TB Lurker
Credits
I am not passing judgment by any means, but I have heard some very specific stories from reliable sources stating the Vanderpol's both Dave and Ed were pretty heavy into drugs at one time. Specifically Hallucinogens and Marijuana.

Seems kind of hypocritical to fire employees for failing a single drug test, when they were smoking joints on the docks in the 70's don't you think? You got your signs touting your "drug free company" yet you show no compassion to those who may have done far less than you. I am not saying that you should have strung out Meth addicts driving your trucks, but say a dockworker smokes a joint at a new year celebration and fails a drug test two weeks later seems a little harsh..

To me allot of things Oak Harbor does seem harsh, I don't understand the attendance policy you can view it here Oak Harbor Human Resources Center Home Page (it is attached to the end of the contract pdf APPENDIX H – ATTENDANCE POLICY)

I don't know how they got it in there because it in some scenario's prevents members from using their sick leave as allowed in the contract. At OHFL to be paid for a sick day you must be absent two days and then paid on your third. So I wake up with a sore throat and I call in sick thats one occurrence, the next day I don't feel any better so I call in another occurrence, mind you I am not getting paid for these days either. The next day I am getting better but don't want risk infecting my co workers so I call in once more. 3rd Occurrence- Verbal warning with written documentation.

Now if I am to call in for any reason in the next nine months I will get a written letter and next a suspension and then be terminated. This is simply a plan to deny the members there sick pay by intimidation.

Terminated for calling in sick 6 times in 9 months! The guy still has sick pay left WTF! He has only used four paid days. Not to mention that this could be used to abuse members, and show favoritism, I know thats exactly what it did when I worked there.

Seriously no company that I know of has a policy this harsh, union or not in any industry.
But its in YOUR contract!

So I wake up with a sore throat and I call in sick thats one occurrence, the next day I don't feel any better so I call in another occurrence, mind you I am not getting paid for these days either. The next day I am getting better but don't want risk infecting my co workers so I call in once more. 3rd Occurrence- Verbal warning with written documentation.

Now if I am to call in for any reason in the next nine months I will get a written letter and next a suspension and then be terminated. This is simply a plan to deny the members there sick pay by intimidation.

Well in that scenario I would tell the person to go to the doctor and fill out FMLA paperwork and you would get no occurence. It would be illegal. Also if you call in sick for the same issue back to back it is one occurrence. Just get the doctors note.

What people fail to realize is that all of this plays into the costs of H&W which this company is crying about having to pay. They want language in the contract that drives the costs up but then they want to hold it over the members heads.

From the way it reads you would have had to tell them on the first day you called that you would be out for three days otherwise it would be three separate occurrences. You can only file for FMLA once in year unless one of them is for a pregnancy/childbirth I believe.
Plus if I am using my sick pay I see no reason why I should have to prove it to OHFL by producing a Dr.'s note and if they require it the should be paying for my Dr.'s visit as well.

Also using FMLA would trigger a required payout of all sick and vacation pay an employee has banked.

Craziness

Uhm no, not true. Remember the company cannot punish you for using FMLA. If your gone for 3 days or more use it and you get no letter from the company.

You can file for FMLA for up to 12 weeks per year and there is no limit to how many times per year you can file for it. The government also allows intermitant FMLA

If they require a Dr. Note you are correct, they must pay for it.

FMLA does not require a payout of all sick/ vacation or whatever but the company can force you to use it. If you have 4 weeks of vacation and 300 hours of sick pay and are out for a week the company is not required to payout all sick days and vacation a person has banked. That is not even close. Only what time is used on FMLA, per occurrence.

It is not the best situation but notice that the GOVERNMENT protects you more than the company you work for. That is pathetic, IMO. Oak Harbor needs first day sick pay and alot of these issues go away.

What you said you heard about Ed and Dave "from these reliable sources that they were pretty heavy into drugs at one time. Specifically Hallucinogens and Marijuana." is out right lie. I know for truthful facts that is not true, it is a bold face out right untruth, a lie a falsehood. And you should not be stating such things because yuor reliable sources are big fat liars Silvertooth... Shame on you for spreading use lies and garbage.

I'll state what I want and it is true, heard it from someone who has no reason to lie. How would you know? You are in Portland they grew up in Seattle. I'll call em child rapists if I want, in my mind they are almost as bad.

Thanks for the clarification Fthem I wasnt sure and was too lazy to check, regardless I think we can both agree their policies are F'd up. Is that what happens over there? Guys just file FMLA every time they get a cold? What a bunch of BS I hope someone treats the VP's like that someday, hey, maybe when they are in Hell getting their a#@$ %$ for sticking it to the honest working man.

I'll state what I want and it is true, heard it from someone who has no reason to lie. How would you know? You are in Portland they grew up in Seattle. I'll call em child rapists if I want, in my mind they are almost as bad.

Thanks for the clarification Fthem I wasnt sure and was too lazy to check, regardless I think we can both agree their policies are F'd up. Is that what happens over there? Guys just file FMLA every time they get a cold? What a bunch of BS I hope someone treats the VP's like that someday, hey, maybe when they are in Hell getting their a#@$ %$ for sticking it to the honest working man.

I grew up with them, my family and theirs are good friends, I know them you don't. You spread lies. You are the one who is way off the noodle. But you lie anyway because you have grudges against them. Yes I am in Portland but I know them. You don't. So again I say shame on you. So if they are drugies you must be too. Hard core? huh and they let you drive. So you like to **** as well? You are a sick man. Doing drugs and ******. How do you have time to work????

I grew up with them, my family and theirs are good friends, I know them you don't. You spread lies. You are the one who is way off the noodle. But you lie anyway because you have grudges against them. Yes I am in Portland but I know them. You don't. So again I say shame on you. So if they are drugies you must be too. Hard core? huh and they let you drive. So you like to **** as well? You are a sick man. Doing drugs and ******. How do you have time to work????

That explains how you became management lacking the ability to string a sentence together. I don't really get the transition from them doing drugs to myself being a user but, I don't own a thousand trailers that say "drug free company" on them either, and I don't fire people because they smoked a joint. So you may understand why it is my humble opinion that they deserve to be held to a higher standard since they set that bar for others.

They are losers, abusing, robber barons attempting to take the last morsels of what is good out of this Country and I resent them for it.

Well if you know the VP's so well, maybe you can clear up the little rumor I heard two years ago, "from a reliable source," about some infidelity by one of our two good Christian leaders aboard one said boat. I believe that is one of the 10 commandments...yeah. pretty sure. Only ten rules to be a good Christian and you cant obey them? Wow, I’m glad I read your post. It clears up all the confusion I have had from past posts about how you became such a butt sucking company plan pusher and it hit me like a ton of bricks, you were handed a high "important" position in the company and probably haven’t even EARNED or WORKED for anything involving your career in your lifetime. Your comprehension and literacy alone suggest that you dropped out of high school, I believe management positions normally call for a business degree. Related instruction to that major would have also called for an English class or two.

Then go back to school and change your profession instead of whinning poor me.

That explains how you became management lacking the ability to string a sentence together. I don't really get the transition from them doing drugs to myself being a user but, I don't own a thousand trailers that say "drug free company" on them either, and I don't fire people because they smoked a joint. So you may understand why it is my humble opinion that they deserve to be held to a higher standard since they set that bar for others.

They are losers, abusing, robber barons attempting to take the last morsels of what is good out of this Country and I resent them for it.

Well if you know the VP's so well, maybe you can clear up the little rumor I heard two years ago, "from a reliable source," about some infidelity by one of our two good Christian leaders aboard one said boat. I believe that is one of the 10 commandments...yeah. pretty sure. Only ten rules to be a good Christian and you cant obey them? Wow, I’m glad I read your post. It clears up all the confusion I have had from past posts about how you became such a butt sucking company plan pusher and it hit me like a ton of bricks, you were handed a high "important" position in the company and probably haven’t even EARNED or WORKED for anything involving your career in your lifetime. Your comprehension and literacy alone suggest that you dropped out of high school, I believe management positions normally call for a business degree. Related instruction to that major would have also called for an English class or two.

Such said boat was with his wife wow an affair with ones wife. :) I have my Masters in Business if you must know From Seattle Pacific.

Is that what happens over there? Guys just file FMLA every time they get a cold?

I believe they do now. They have been getting an education since the first of last year and it has been paying off for them. Some people have been trying to keep the employees in the dark about some of their rights but they are slowly gaining knowledge and with knowledge comes power.

Outstanding. Another "driver" with an MBA from a conservative Christian collage. Can't spell and lies. :toxic: You sure didn't get much for you money.:hysterical:

Well, again how wrong you are...loser! And I don't lie, but you would not know the truth if it hit you right between the eyes...poor thing.

:butt kiss:

trucknjoe

you have a masters degree and your a driver? you must be a loser........and yes david was into drug's.......and also went to work for action trucking in kent and when henry found out about it he went over there and grabbed david by the ear and pulled him from their dock.Also he was engaged to a girl and she had an affair with one of his friend's and well let's just say he didn't end up marrying her........

WOW! I can't believe what this thread is all about. You guys have a good point, it's just destroyed by the unnecessary allusions to people's past errors. Maybe, just maybe, they have "Drug-free" all over their trucks precisely because they got high? Even if they're polygamists, unless our discussion stays within our industrial situation, polygamy at this point is irrelevant. Seriously, and the allusions to Christianity? Surely you can do better than that. People's private lives should stay private, I'm sure you wouldn't want your past errors on the internet, right? Let us have serious discussions without the informal fallacies.

Coherently and Respectfully in Solidarity

Hello to all. :smilie_132:

I am new here on this forum and I have been reading all these posts. WOW!!!! I have never in my life heard grown educated responsible men stoop to such ridiculous sad behavior. I have to agree with Nero. How can any thing get accomplished if you are all so busy chewing up and spitting everyone past or what you think is their past and the name calling especially on the internet? What people do in their private lives from the CEO/Owners to each and everyone of you is none of anyone else’s business and should be kept pvt period without exception. It is just wrong. It does not accomplish anything at all. Otherwise a great site. :1036316054:

Maybe he did drugs and didn't like how it affected him? Who knows...who cares? I would think it would be to the company's best interest to promote the drug free environment? I'm sure the state DOT doesn't want trucking companies promoting drug use while driving on the road....go figure? BTW, 'tothecore' has a good point.

Educated? Who you calling educated?

At Oak Harbor people are drug tested, they could have smoked pot in their homes a month ago and the test will show positive. So what a Teamster does in his private life is not private, what a politician does is not private, I bring it up solely to reiterate the fact that the owners are people just like us. The way they have turned on their employees is wrong. You don't know what these people have put their employees through, and if you did you might not find it so offensive to see a little dirt go their way.

It is what it is, I have no shame if you don't like it please read elsewhere. "especially on the internet" as if the internet is some scared place anyone with a connection can say whatever they want, come on??