XPO | a limit needs to be put on weight off the floor1

turbo blue 55

TB Lurker
Credits
ya know when they say you can put 3000 lbs per e trac rack ,as a city driver who works outbound dock at a terminal that is not a reship where we have a limited number of part time workers who to no fault of their own who are piling gaylords and heavy squares in these frickin racks ,and totally raising the center of gravity on these trlrs imglad i dont have to pull them and fearful for those that do

Last edited by a moderator:
SAFETY is the absolute most important part of this job period. my kids, your kids ,your family ,my family is on these highways where we send out these top heavy loads every night...........if i ever wipe out a family i would walk away from the money in a second and its one of the things that never gets addressed, but when people are loading trlrs that dont have a clue and arent doing it maliciously .i myself try to keep under a grand on each rack and the meat on the floor ,just thinkin a change needs to be made to this training

There is a limit. Our trainer for safestack went over the information with us. If you see something unsafe PLEASE TELL SOMEONE IN MANAGEMENT. As a driver , if you look at a load and are thankful that you don't have to pull it that should tell you something is wrong. If you won't tell management , tell the linehaul driver that has to take a chance and pull the F'ed up trailer. Safety is a money and legal concern for Con-Way - for the drivers that have to haul the freight it is our livelihood.

The Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA)

There is a limit. Our trainer for safestack went over the information with us. If you see something unsafe PLEASE TELL SOMEONE IN MANAGEMENT. As a driver , if you look at a load and are thankful that you don't have to pull it that should tell you something is wrong. If you won't tell management , tell the linehaul driver that has to take a chance and pull the F'ed up trailer. Safety is a money and legal concern for Con-Way - for the drivers that have to haul the freight it is our livelihood.

i would never walk away from a load that i know is wrong never......its the ones that dont get cuaght and hostled to the yard that scare me. our dock guys are out there for hours by themselves building loads ,its just a huge pet peeve of mine the way these trlrs leave these docks sometimes

problem is their is no enforced limit on the split between floor and rack. people will rack whole trailer out than slide long light freight under it. sure not over the limit on each rack but 80% in the air

i give you one better than that i was told to shut down a trailer in xgh one night it had a sk of hazmat with drums on the rack. i reworked it before i closed it .

I love it. "if you see something unsafe tell managment". why? why not go over and tell the dumb fk that did it "hey a$$clown wtf is wrong with you! more than 1000# is fine on a rack as long as the weight below is greater. 3000# is f'n rediculous, 2000# is pushing it depending on what is below the rackand how high it's stacked. if you see a part timer, or truck driver, (I love how the dock only guys get the shaft on these boards cuz I see veteran drivers here I would allow to load a mailbox), tell them hey a$$ clown........... also, linehaul drivers, you aint on the f'n track at Taledega out there. drive with some common sense. how many of you have seen guys just flat out gettin it trying to beat the clock, the next driver, or whatever. I've seen guys turn left from a right turn lane side by side with another conway set in the left turn lane. both at unsafe speeds trying to beat a red light. I've seen 'em take exit ramps at way high rates of speed. I've seen 'em do all kids of crazy things that would cause any load to shift, let alone one loaded wrong and top heavy. btw my rule of thumb no more than 1500# on a rack but only if there is enough weight on the bottom to balance it out.

Let me see, something just don't seem right. Con-Way policy says that in the trailer, 1000 LBS a foot. They also say that you can put 3000 LBS on the racks. So, in other words they are saying that you can exceed the 1000 LBS per foot and render that policy null and void. These people have SERIOUS issues.

Let me see, something just don't seem right. Con-Way policy says that in the trailer, 1000 LBS a foot. They also say that you can put 3000 LBS on the racks. So, in other words they are saying that you can exceed the 1000 LBS per foot and render that policy null and void. These people have SERIOUS issues.

SafeStack trailer is 900# per foot after the front 4 feet. There is not a document that states you should deck 3000 pounds. The capacity of a properly built deck is stated as 3000#. That same four feet, whether on the floor or in the air (on a deck) is 3600#. Heavy on the floor and light in the air whether load deck or SafeStack.

We have been told in training to load heavy freight to the floor. I never really thought any of this was an issue.

We will never know for sure if safe stack raises the center of gravity. We used to stack freight to the roof, when possible, and the old racks might be higher then the average safe stack height.

We have been told in training to load heavy freight to the floor. I never really thought any of this was an issue.

We will never know for sure if safe stack raises the center of gravity. We used to stack freight to the roof, when possible, and the old racks might be higher then the average safe stack height.

We do know that raising weight in a trailer raises the center of gravity and increases instability. We know for sure that safe stack can raise the center of gravity if used wrong.

Of course it raises the center of gravity. The old racks sat on the floor. The safe stack is drilled into the walls. The freight is not grounded at all. Big difference.

my god who are you? we are sure. physics plain and simple. think about it when you put 2000 lbs on an old rack yes it is up high BUT what does the old rack sit on??? THE TRAILER FLOOR!!! what does 2000 lbs on a dangerstack rack rest on? THE TRAILER WALL those braces dont go to the floor please think about how all that weight can make the sides of the trailer sway or please dont load anything i have to pull. yes i use them but only light or ugly stuff we can always go to another trailer it's cheaper to put another dsr to work than it is to kill somebody.it is never your last trailer to go to if their are empties in the yard.

at fedex freight we have a 2k weight limit on a deck, 1k per side.

That sounds about right, but I think what these drivers are saying is that it relates more to a percentage of the total trailer weight and not necessarily total weight off the floor. In other words, with the FedEx system I'm assuming a rack is 4' which would basically allow for 10-14K off the floor if the entire trailer is racked - 10K racked is alright if the wagon is 24K but 10K on racks in a 15K trailer is a dangerous situation.

Trying to be as short as I can, I like the e-track trailers and the trailers are not the problem - this idea of forced loading and drop the beams for the next person training method/enforcement is the problem. As I'm sure many of you have, I've always been a loader for heavy lanes at the FAC's I've run and understand how to load/cube/scale a trailer - force loading and dropping the beams is the absolute worst way/method of doing it but so long as it's ingrained in these new FOS's and dockworkers top heavy trailers are gonna be a problem.