R&L | A survey of the employees

leftlanecruiser

TB Lurker
Credits
As an R&L employee,how do you feel about the way the company has been run recently? We all know the economy is in a lull,but we are still doing pretty good as far as the amount of freight being moved. The problem I see is that somebody in Willmington is out of touch with the REAL day to day operations of the company. The dispatchers,drivers and dock workers see it,but we are only the little people who actually do the work. Frieght time is so far behind what it use to be that I'm surprised we still have customers. It is only a matter of time before all the non and slow deliveries catch up to us. There was a time where other companies saw our sucess and wanted to be like us,those days are over. With slower trucks and outside companies hauling our freight how can anyone depend on us like they use to? The counter arguement is that we they are saving the company money-do you find that to be true? A personal survey has shown to me that very few trucks are saving fuel by being turned down. Most seem to be using about the same and some even use MORE fuel. It all depends on the make and size of the engine and where the truck is driven. Because the trucks can't get back on time now they are paying dock workers more to work longer hours to wait on the freight to get in,also city drivers are working longer hours because they can't get around like they use to. Any savings there is on fuel is eaten up by the hourly wages paid to on the clock employees. People in local management know all this,but their hands are tied as to what they can do. I know this posting is for R&L employees,but if you are reading this Larry Sr. please step in and take your company back over--WE NEED YOU!

The trucks have nothing to do with the freight moving slower in the system.. Con-way runs slower than us and they don't have trouble moving freight.. It has to do with R&L having a "PLAN" and not moving forward with it. Thats always been the problem hurry up and wait or "we are going to do this" but it never happens. I understand their main focus is saving money right now. But they shouldn't forget the customers......

Talk to a con way driver,they are having problems. They bought CFI to cover their truckload division. They use to run faster and their system is set up to run on a faster pace. It's simple mathimatics on how far or how fast you can move something. At 62 mph you can only achieve 620 miles in a 10 hour period,at 72 you can achieve 720 miles-a 100 mile difference. They R&L system was set up on 72 mph trucks,check out the national map for the locations of terminals.

us

Guys i work for conway and i work the outbound and inbound dock and the amount of freight we move s crazy but it all gets moved i also worked for r&l and the things they did were stupid conway is the better of the two thanks.

R&L has had a good system,trying to change it is the problem. If you USE TO work for R&L what are you doing peeping into our posts? Feeling a little home sick? Do you feel like you left your family? If you are qualified enough we will take you back,if not this is an internal matter-a family matter.

I believe the speed of the trucks is an insurance issue now.We are very busy,understaffed and starting to miss pick ups on a daily basis.Most trucks coming back full and customers getting skipped because no one around with room for anymore freight.Our customer service level has gone to crap and we are gonna lose customers because the slower companies will have room for freight.

I believe the speed of the trucks is an insurance issue now.We are very busy,understaffed and starting to miss pick ups on a daily basis.Most trucks coming back full and customers getting skipped because no one around with room for anymore freight.Our customer service level has gone to crap and we are gonna lose customers because the slower companies will have room for freight.

1 major mistake a company makes, not saying just R&L as ALL companys are missing picks with less help to properly service accounts. A few months ago Holland missed 100+ picks in CMH alone in 1 day! and YRC is and has been missing picks so much that they are losing accounts. We all know where they are headed now, think about it. ALL freight must be delivered and ALL picks must be made to keep the revenue coming in and control the outcome of your company.

There is NO excuse for missed deliverys or missed pick ups.
**** poor management or **** poor driver.

Leftlane, do you really think slowing our trucks down to 65 is what is holding our system up? In my state the speed limit is 65. So why would a carrier expect me to run 72 just to make service?

And your comment about city drivers not being able to get around.. How far do they go on the highway on a city peddle? Whats it take them an extra 5-10 min per day?

I see the revolving door of supervisors holding our system up in my area.

Our inbound and outbound guys come and go every few months. Each person we get knows less and less which gets the linehauls out late which makes them late getting back.

Talk to a con way driver,they are having problems. They bought CFI to cover their truckload division. They use to run faster and their system is set up to run on a faster pace. It's simple mathimatics on how far or how fast you can move something. At 62 mph you can only achieve 620 miles in a 10 hour period,at 72 you can achieve 720 miles-a 100 mile difference. They R&L system was set up on 72 mph trucks,check out the national map for the locations of terminals.
Sorry driver your flat wrong. Everyone knows the R&L formula for linehaul. L/H pay is based on 50mph..... It's management at the local level that push the drivers to run hard. Some guys think if they are the first ones back from their run or they did it in record time they will get a pat on the back by the TM and a star by their name. Besides your numbers don't add up. To accomplish those numbers you would have to be running that speed the whole trip.... IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!

To start with those were examples. Do you even have any idea what the max mph the computer will take when you turn a log in? Have you ever ran out so far that you had to shave miles off to get it into the computer? This company was built on running hard and fast,we outran the competition;now they outrun us. I do realize that there are people on here that live in states with split speed limits,you may not be aware of how the rest of us have been running. As far as getting back and getting pats on the back-the quicker you get back the quicker you will be on your way home. That's one of the main reasons I came to work here,to be home more. If you do not know of what I'm talking about please let the people who do respond. I do not feel like debating with people who for all I know sit in an office all day.

Duck is right on with his post....
And as for sitting at a desk,he carries his with him too...

And as for shaving miles,no one would admit to such. As the only way for that to happen would be with prior approval from the big house,,,and all is done legal and above board. :biglaugh:

I would like to respond to this post, as I have worked on all three levels in the company. I started as a driver moved into the office and now work as the full time dock worker, yep dock worker. I have been with the company 14 year. 6 as a driver 7 as a supervisor and for the last year a dock worker. I have to say I love the dock work. I have very little stress. I do my job and have no problems. As a driver it was always faster faster faster, but keep it legal. As a supervisor, I quit so many times I can't even count only problem was no one was around to hear me do it. Supervisors probably have the toughest jobs as they have to give out all the bad news out, take all the crap from the TM and everytime I went above and beyond I heard about what wasn't done not everything else that was done. As a dock worker I make $25 an hour and I have no stress, as long as I do my piece counts, take and run a forkilift, I have a great supervisor who actually appreciates my work, I even get a good job every now and then. I am not saying every supervisor is a stand up guy, but take a look at what you have before you critisize them, not everyone gets a pat on the back when they work hard. In fact a lot of them just get crapped on all the time. This company is a damned if you do damned if you don't type place I love to company, but have hated some of the people there. As for TM's a lot of them really suck, but also think about the ones that treat you fair, what is it like to scale down to an even more bare bones operation and still have to answer why something wasn't done, and saying cause i laid 4 guys off isn;t an acceptable answer. Some of these guys are actually trying to save as many jobs as they can, not be peckers. By the way mph the system allows is 60 mph, even though they now allow 62 mph for logs the TM must override for your log to go through if you go over 60 mph.

Sorry this a book, new to forum and been in all these shoes.

65.9 around here,anything under 66mph. Been that way for years. It seems that each area is ran differently. Also be carful as to how much info you give on yourself,you never know who is reading this.

I would like to respond to this post, as I have worked on all three levels in the company. I started as a driver moved into the office and now work as the full time dock worker, yep dock worker. I have been with the company 14 year. 6 as a driver 7 as a supervisor and for the last year a dock worker. I have to say I love the dock work. I have very little stress.

My hubby's kind of done the same thing - only been with the company for 6 years but he's been dockworker, lead man, yard jockey, supervisor, P&D driver... definitely says dockworker is the least stressful job. Wish he made $25 an hour though!!

Bigmanoncampus WELCOME TO THE BOARDS. keep them posts commin. tell more guys about trucking boards

I would like to respond to this post, as I have worked on all three levels in the company. I started as a driver moved into the office and now work as the full time dock worker, yep dock worker. I have been with the company 14 year. 6 as a driver 7 as a supervisor and for the last year a dock worker. I have to say I love the dock work. I have very little stress. I do my job and have no problems. As a driver it was always faster faster faster, but keep it legal. As a supervisor, I quit so many times I can't even count only problem was no one was around to hear me do it. Supervisors probably have the toughest jobs as they have to give out all the bad news out, take all the crap from the TM and everytime I went above and beyond I heard about what wasn't done not everything else that was done. As a dock worker I make $25 an hour and I have no stress, as long as I do my piece counts, take and run a forkilift, I have a great supervisor who actually appreciates my work, I even get a good job every now and then. I am not saying every supervisor is a stand up guy, but take a look at what you have before you critisize them, not everyone gets a pat on the back when they work hard. In fact a lot of them just get crapped on all the time. This company is a damned if you do damned if you don't type place I love to company, but have hated some of the people there. As for TM's a lot of them really suck, but also think about the ones that treat you fair, what is it like to scale down to an even more bare bones operation and still have to answer why something wasn't done, and saying cause i laid 4 guys off isn;t an acceptable answer. Some of these guys are actually trying to save as many jobs as they can, not be peckers. By the way mph the system allows is 60 mph, even though they now allow 62 mph for logs the TM must override for your log to go through if you go over 60 mph.

Sorry this a book, new to forum and been in all these shoes.

That is a very good post.What made you leave the office and go on to the dock?Was it the stress that you would not have to deal with?:1036316054:

That is a very good post.What made you leave the office and go on to the dock?Was it the stress that you would not have to deal with?:1036316054:

I left because I was tired of the office politics. I hated that everyone else in the office played favorites while others were dumped on, didn't have anything to do with who was a better driver or ran their shift any better it was just likability and suck ups. the tm didn't like it if you questioned him, and he was really out of touch at how much we had grown and what was going on. when a dock position opened I took it and the tm had to cover. it was nice to see him struggle even more then i had been. but he did hire a supervisor right quick lol. he also got us two more dock guys as well. sometimes screwing the tm gets you what you need. he still doesn't like me though, but he does like that i come to work everyday, and i do my job well.

As for TM's a lot of them really suck, but also think about the ones that treat you fair, what is it like to scale down to an even more bare bones operation and still have to answer why something wasn't done, and saying cause i laid 4 guys off isn;t an acceptable answer. Some of these guys are actually trying to save as many jobs as they can, not be peckers.

I hated ours when I came here. He was number two then, and a jerk.

Then when that TM left and number two took over, all the snake-in-the-grass behavior that made me despise him stopped, and he's actually a pretty fair man now.

I kinda feel bad now having hated the wrong guy.