A word about Over The Road Trucking

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys

Yesterday at truck driving school during lunch time one of my class mates made an interesting comment, it certainly got me thinking.
He goes "You know we have a lot of these over the road companies who come into the school and recruit, and are always hiring constantly, and some might be fine employers, but here is the thing, say you are hired on by one of these companies and your gone 6 weeks at a time, well that's all good and well, but what happens, if you are single and own your own home?"

He goes "You can pay all your bills online sure, and if you live in the country you can just let the grass grow that's fine, and you can have your mail diverted or stopped and held at the post office and obviously you can cancel the news paper and things like that, but no matter how you slice it your house is still standing there all alone for 6 weeks at a time and no matter how you slice it, it is still a liability just having the house standing there all alone."

It certainly got me thinking. You know it's one thing to leave go away for a night or two and then come back that's one thing, but to be gone for 21 days or 6 weeks at a time that is after a while a very long time to be gone and is a long time to live out of a suite case, obviously you do what you have to do, to get by, but things like that certainly got me thinking, and then okay when you finally do get back into town you have 6 weeks of grass to try and cut, or 6 weeks of snow to shovel and you have to turn the water in the house back on and run to the post office and collect all your mail and go through it all and do all of your laundry and chores around the house and once all that is done, you can turn around hop in the truck and leave for another 21 days to 6 weeks. I mean it's a tricky act and thing to balance and I think that's why a lot of people get into OTR driving and at the same time get out of it very quick they figure you know it's a lot to have out on the line for $40,000 a year in some cases and obviously $40,000 a year is probably a tad light should be more like $50,000-$60,000 a year depending who you work for and how long your gone, but still and plus the other things that happen to while your out on the road it certainly takes a high tolerance and someone with a lot of patience.

Don't forget the money you spend on the road Mike, its very expensive, especially when a tandem sleeper tractor and a 53 foot trailer don't just fit anywhere, truckstops are a total rip! Way expensive, for me, I saved by bringing my own food, I wasn't out for more than a week though, I imagine at 6 weeks it would get mighty old making sandwiches, think of being layed over at some truck stop for 3 or 4 days while dispatch finds you a load, your bound to spend and its not cheap!

Not to discourage you just something for you to ponder, I still really like your fedex idea!

Don't worry about your home sitting while you're on the road with one of the bottom feeders. You won't be able to afford it after a while the bank will will probably boot you out.
Then you can live in the truck just like the other dwellers.

Don't worry about your home sitting while you're on the road with one of the bottom feeders. You won't be able to afford it after a while the bank will will probably boot you out.
Then you can live in the truck just like the other dwellers.

BuzzBeez, thats why I like Crete and Rohel, at least they used to be good outfits, I have been a little out of touch the past few years, but they used to be good, not a Swift or England type.

I don't think I would want to be true OTR and own a home by myself, no wife or girlfriend to watch over things, or family member ect.

What's his fedex idea? I couldn't live on the road. But if I was extra board with a freight company that's one thing but to live in a truck nope.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the money you spend on the road Mike, its very expensive, especially when a tandem sleeper tractor and a 53 foot trailer don't just fit anywhere, truckstops are a total rip! Way expensive, for me, I saved by bringing my own food, I wasn't out for more than a week though, I imagine at 6 weeks it would get mighty old making sandwiches, think of being layed over at some truck stop for 3 or 4 days while dispatch finds you a load, your bound to spend and its not cheap!

Not to discourage you just something for you to ponder, I still really like your fedex idea!

I hear you there man yesterday I had to hook to a trailer in a Freightliner Century with a full condo sleeper and tandems, the tandems didn't bother me so much, but I was not digging on that sleeper in the back, I tell you what spending 3 days in a row in the sleeper and I know that has happened, that would be enough to drive me insane that would get old very quickly probably after the first 6 hours. And as far as truck stop backing goes, today at school we got into offset backing, I eventually pulled it off 2 or 3 times, but over all I got my behind kicked on that maneuver and so did a lot of other people in the class, everyone had a pretty defeated look on their face when the day was all said and done, my self included. I know I can do it, but it's a new skill to learn and when ever we do something new, which is almost every time, I pretty much get creamed the first few times I do it and then once it all clicks it's okay, but needless to say lunch time was very quiet today at school ha-ha.

As far as truck stops go, I really don't like truck stops either, they seem to be full of trouble makers and are certainly not all that safe and expen$$ive to boot your right! That's another thing you amortize what you would spend to live out on the road for 6 weeks at a time and for get it, oh good I spent $16,000 to make $40,000 before taxes! Now granted I know there are per diems that companies give that are tax free, but it is certainly a buy beware type of thing that is for sure.

Today I was offset backing with a 53' trailer the tractor was just a little baby Freightliner FL70 it was an ex Saia truck and like I said before I got creamed, and I am not a fan of the idea of alley dock backing a 53' trailer into a tight spot at a truck stop with two $200,000 Peterbuilts sitting on both sides I suppose you get good at it overtime, but still I don't need nor want those kind of problems. That's the other thing to a lot of these truck stops don't even have that much parking, or even hold that many trucks. In Cleveland there is one truck stop near the Ford Plant in Avon Lake, Ohio and that place is a smaller Pilot and you should see how those guys park in there, it's a mess and the lot it's self is kind of strange, no thanks.

Plus people pulling the fifth wheel release and you know the other side of backing into a tight space is pulling out of that same tight space and many accidents have occurred when people were pulling out. There was an old International 9400 Eagle that my school had, they sold it, but it over the course of it's life was involved in a couple accidents at trucks stops all of the accidents occurred when the truck parked next to it was pulling out of it's slot.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to get into broadline food service, no expensive truck stops and you know OTR has all kinds of goofey politics.

It's funny you mentioned FedEx a guy in my class applied for that job and they called him in for an interview, we were talking and he mentioned that to me.
Once I get my real CDL A I might be more attractive and maybe GFS will be hiring for driver helpers and I can get on with them. If not Estes seems to always be hiring CDL A drivers here in Cleveland, might be a good place to start, over all everyone seems to like Estes. Heck if none of the freight companies want me I can always do bus I have a passenger endorsement, I can work for a tour or charter bus company. (I wouldn't really ever want to work for Greyhound it's nothing against Greyhound, but some of the people they carry no thanks. )

What's his fedex idea? I couldn't live on the road. But if I was extra board with a freight company that's one thing but to live in a truck nope.

I applied for a job at FedEx Freight in Mentor, Ohio as a driver apprentice. I figured I get trained through the FedEx system and in addition to getting some good LTL trucking experience I also get, to work the dock and brush up my fork lift operating skills.

BuzzBeez, thats why I like Crete and Rohel, at least they used to be good outfits, I have been a little out of touch the past few years, but they used to be good, not a Swift or England type.

I don't think I would want to be true OTR and own a home by myself, no wife or girlfriend to watch over things, or family member ect.

A guy in my class mention what you said in your very last sentence, he said true OTR would be rough, he goes it would be on my wife to pretty much do everything and I live out in the country and because I live out in the country we have some live stock and my wife would have to take care of all of the animals, and also cut the grass and do what has to be done. It would be a lot on her shoulders.

Try getting into the warehouse of one of these foodservice places. A lot of dock guys don't want to move up to driver cause they hear the horror stories so they don't want to get their cdl. When I worked at US Foods they wanted to train dock guys to be drivers when we hit the busy season. There was lack of dock workers that wanted to move up to driver but a few did.

I don't blame them either. Job kinda sucks lol. More so in the winter. I'm sure they liked training em because they knew the products already

Hi guys

Yesterday at truck driving school during lunch time one of my class mates made an interesting comment, it certainly got me thinking.
He goes "You know we have a lot of these over the road companies who come into the school and recruit, and are always hiring constantly, and some might be fine employers, but here is the thing, say you are hired on by one of these companies and your gone 6 weeks at a time, well that's all good and well, but what happens, if you are single and own your own home?"

He goes "You can pay all your bills online sure, and if you live in the country you can just let the grass grow that's fine, and you can have your mail diverted or stopped and held at the post office and obviously you can cancel the news paper and things like that, but no matter how you slice it your house is still standing there all alone for 6 weeks at a time and no matter how you slice it, it is still a liability just having the house standing there all alone."

It certainly got me thinking. You know it's one thing to leave go away for a night or two and then come back that's one thing, but to be gone for 21 days or 6 weeks at a time that is after a while a very long time to be gone and is a long time to live out of a suite case, obviously you do what you have to do, to get by, but things like that certainly got me thinking, and then okay when you finally do get back into town you have 6 weeks of grass to try and cut, or 6 weeks of snow to shovel and you have to turn the water in the house back on and run to the post office and collect all your mail and go through it all and do all of your laundry and chores around the house and once all that is done, you can turn around hop in the truck and leave for another 21 days to 6 weeks. I mean it's a tricky act and thing to balance and I think that's why a lot of people get into OTR driving and at the same time get out of it very quick they figure you know it's a lot to have out on the line for $40,000 a year in some cases and obviously $40,000 a year is probably a tad light should be more like $50,000-$60,000 a year depending who you work for and how long your gone, but still and plus the other things that happen to while your out on the road it certainly takes a high tolerance and someone with a lot of patience.

Your classmate just now thought of all this? What took him or even you this long?

For me it's not as big of a deal given my current living situation, but your right, kind of embarrassed now for not putting it all together sooner. We were making conversation at lunch time and it came up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really the reason I post here in the food service carriers forum is because, I would like to work for one of the food service companies, either customized or broadline either side is fine. I never really wanted that bad to be an OTR driver so I kind of dismissed a lot of the OTR companies, some are good and some are bad, I guess it's what you make of it to a certain respect, I mean there are people out there who have worked at Werner or Schneider for 25+ years. I mean and there are different breeds of OTR company like there are starter OTR companies and then there are non starter OTR companies. However any more all the big name guys Schneider and Werner have been going to dedicated and regional.

I mean OTR has some appeal it also has many pitfalls. LTL freight is okay, but for what ever reason working for the food companies kind of appeals to me more then anything else I guess, it's just a personal preference for me, what I like is food service companies are private fleets, not gone from home very long, they make good money and you have to work hard so it keeps me in shape, which is good for me, because I go to the gym 4 days a week to keep my blood pressure down and I really don't like the gym (I have nothing against the actual gym or gym management, it's just not my thing.) to tell you the truth the gym is a necessary evil right now in my eyes, but going to the gym has helped my blood pressure is down about 17 points, it was a tad high in early December. Also I don't see to many food service companies at truck stops, I mean I can't say I have ever seen a GFS or Sysco truck parked at a truck stop, I'm sure it's happened, but I would venture to say GFS and Sysco are not regulars at the truck stop.

Like working a 2 or 3 day route for a food service company seems okay to me, or doing key drops at night time, I've worked at night time before. Like oil field trucking and work is kind of a separate animal , food service work like GFS and Sysco to me that's kind of a separate niche thing. It seems that the food service people here are happy where they work I mean it sure seems like people who get in at Sysco or GFS tend to stick around for a while. I guess that's why I never really gave much thought about OTR and all the headaches it can bring, I specifically wanted to work for one of the food companies, either GFS, MBM or Sysco those were and still are at the top of my list. I worked in the restaurant industry before I went to truck driving school, and wanted to work in whole sale grocery I did enjoy my time when I worked in the restaurant for the most part, the job I had ran its course and it was time to move on, but I liked cooking and making the food and some of the other stuff that was involved in restaurant operation.

One day I was making a delivery to Red Lobster and MBM was there delivering at the same time as me and I though to my self, I can do that, I could work there and I started researching MBM and it's hard work sure, but they compensate well and right now I am working on getting my start, will see what happens, but I read the forum here to stay current with what's going on in the transportation industry and I show up to school on the weekend (I work all week long so I am in a weekend class a truck driving school.) and practice the maneuvers we do in the yard, I know it's not everything, but it's a start and I really try my hardest to understand the truck and what is going on with it and I don't want to be some "steering wheel holder" I am really trying to be better then that and make a nice career for my self.

It doesn't mean they are happy. Some stay because of the money. Some stay because they have been there so long that they don't want to start over. Like I said winter time is the hardest. Pushing the 2 wheeler thru snow and ice sucks. I've slipped going down the ramp, slipped and the 2 wheeler fell on me. Then you got lazy customers that don't want to shovel or salt.

Also look at the older foodservice drivers or ex foodservice drivers. Look at how they walk or stand. Some can stand up straight, are slow at walking and have gone thru multiple surgeries. It takes a toll. I'm not opposed to unloading a truck. But dealing with stairs and the ramp takes a toll on you. And constantly bending over to grab boxes to. Look at GT. He's in his mid 40s and he really feels it

It doesn't mean they are happy. Some stay because of the money. Some stay because they have been there so long that they don't want to start over. Like I said winter time is the hardest. Pushing the 2 wheeler thru snow and ice sucks. I've slipped going down the ramp, slipped and the 2 wheeler fell on me. Then you got lazy customers that don't want to shovel or salt.

Also look at the older foodservice drivers or ex foodservice drivers. Look at how they walk or stand. Some can stand up straight, are slow at walking and have gone thru multiple surgeries. It takes a toll. I'm not opposed to unloading a truck. But dealing with stairs and the ramp takes a toll on you. And constantly bending over to grab boxes to. Look at GT. He's in his mid 40s and he really feels it

What do you think about working for like a FedEx contractor for the FedEx Ground Division pulling doubles from terminal to terminal? I certainly don't want to destroy my body and not be able to sit, stand, bend over or walk. One of the managers at the restaurant I used to work at fell down one of those ramps it wasn't pretty she cut her knee wide open had to get stitches and everything.
The more I think about it, the more it seems that, working up to a line haul position for an LTL company is probably a better way to go or using the passenger endorsement I have I really didn't plan on using it right off the rip, but something told me to get one. A man in my class at school is a motor coach driver for a motor coach company in Cleveland, he's been doing it 20+ years only reason he's upgrading his license is because sometimes in the motor coach industry they have to pull trailers for like rock stars and stuff if they have a motor cycle or something they want to take along with them.

You know the more I think about it, working for the grocery stores private fleet is probably a better way to go, like Talon Logistics which is Giant Eagles private fleet. There is some unloading of the trailer, but it's mostly just pulling the skids off with a pallet jack and it's all dock high not going up and down a ramp. Grocery store private fleet might just be the answer.

I agree with you. I wouldn't mind it but then your working weekends and holidays. I'm a single dad so I can't do that. For a single guy that would be fine in my opinion

You know the more I think about it, working for the grocery stores private fleet is probably a better way to go, like Talon Logistics which is Giant Eagles private fleet. There is some unloading of the trailer, but it's mostly just pulling the skids off with a pallet jack and it's all dock high not going up and down a ramp. Grocery store private fleet might just be the answer.

Don't know anything about this company, but I see them all over. I believe they deliver to grocery stores.

http://www.firstfleetinc.com/

Depends on the fedex contractor. Some pay decent and have benefits and some have no benefits and don't pay good. Just gotta look around

What about gas station chains? Some have a private fleet. We have a couple here in MN. Both of em the drivers don't push 2 wheelers. They throw the cases and totes down roller racks right into the store. They also have there own fleet of fuel tanker trucks. Some pay pretty good from what I hear. Also look for produce companies. That's usually just pallet drops to.