ABF | ABF Attacks Pensions?

What's abf's stance for not wanting to join the liability pool?

I'm still trying to see if I can find if ABF ever publicly gave a reason. Here's why UPS decided why it was best...

The Teamsters Central States and New England pension funds are now offering employers a choice of joining a “hybrid” plan, which allows companies to pay down their liability and stay within the Teamster plan. As of the fourth quarter of 2012, some 17 Central States’ employers and another 25 in the New England plan had opted for the hybrid model.

More than 10,000 UPS Teamsters in the New England plan were switched recently to the hybrid model last September. It made financial sense to UPS, which got out from under a heavy withdrawal liability and given more than 50 years with which to make those payments.

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/artic...ployer_pension_plans_teamsters_ok_greater_use

The UPS statement said the new "structure is designed to allow employers to assume responsibility only for their own employees' (future accrual of benefits) without regard to any previous fund liabilities."

"UPS' goal when considering any change to participation in a multiemployer pension plan is to safeguard the pensions earned by our employees in a cost-effective manner," John McDevitt, UPS senior vice president of human resources and labor relations, said in the statement. "This transfer will remove uncertainty associated with this plan for our people while being fair to the company and our investors."

"Clearly, it's cost-effective," Mr. Black said of the new structure.

http://www.tdu.org/media_ups-leave-new-england-pension-fund

What's abf's stance for not wanting to join the liability pool?
According to the article UPS is assuming 1.2 billion of withdrawal liability to get out of the New England fund. Most likely the reason ABF isn't following suit is because they can't/ won't pay the tab to get out.

According to the article UPS is assuming 1.2 billion of withdrawal liability to get out of the New England fund. Most likely the reason ABF isn't following suit is because they can't/ won't pay the tab to get out.

Do you think?

First off one has to see how many people the ups withdrawal covers. Abf’s would not even be close to a billion dollars.

Was just responding to his question.

Yep, I do.

You're pretty smart for a wise ass. After all... I think any idiot could come to the conclusion that they either couldn't or wouldn't pay it... wouldn't you say?

Let me guess... you're answer is... Yep, I do.

And here you are talking about others trashing threads.

Like I said before... if you have anything you want to get off your chest... you know where to go.

You're pretty smart for a wise ass. After all... I think any idiot could come to the conclusion that they either couldn't or wouldn't pay it... wouldn't you say?

Let me guess... you're answer is... Yep, I do.

And here you are talking about others trashing threads.

Like I said before... if you have anything you want to get off your chest... you know where to go.
Sorry to offend your lordship, just don't beat me up in front the other kids on the playground.

did not happen and you are not being blocked

Thanks Jeff, I enjoy your website and I have a lot of history on it. I like looking at my past posts to see what I thought and compare that to how I think now. It is illuminating to evaluate how I reacted and treated other individuals when they agreed/disagreed with me. Thanks for keeping this written record; it is greatly appreciated.

BS! It was the employees who have given back BILLIONS in Wages and Pensions that have kept them going!

KK, you took a pay cut you didn't give YRC any money. Or, if you did, could you post a copy of the check you wrote??? I would like to see it.

Last edited: