ABF | ABF background check

HD-28

TB Lurker
Credits
I am currently waiting on the results of a background check by ABF. I have 12 plus years of Class A experience with only 2 minor violations, no accidents and no violations from DOT checks. Unfortunately my early driving history before the year 2000 is....let's just say....less than desirable. All before getting my CDL though. Any of you guys know anything about their background checks? How picky are they about non CDL early driving history?

I am currently waiting on the results of a background check by ABF. I have 12 plus years of Class A experience with only 2 minor violations, no accidents and no violations from DOT checks. Unfortunately my early driving history before the year 2000 is....let's just say....less than desirable. All before getting my CDL though. Any of you guys know anything about their background checks? How picky are they about non CDL early driving history?

Any DUI or Felony convection will show up on most State Motor Driving Records. Contact your state & get a copy. Also obtain a copy of you DAC Report as ABF will. If you have something on any of those 2 & you do not tell ABF. They WILL NEVER HIRE YOU. von.

Any DUI or Felony convection will show up on most State Motor Driving Records. Contact your state & get a copy. Also obtain a copy of you DAC Report as ABF will. If you have something on any of those 2 & you do not tell ABF. They WILL NEVER HIRE YOU. von.
Thanks, so apparently it's smart to tell them everything no matter how far back it goes? It's a shame some really stupid decisions are going to come back to haunt me all these years later. We'll see what happens. Appreciate the response

It seems to take forever to hear from them. As previously stated if you omitted anything it's game over. Not knowing what you have in your history it is tough for us to guess it if could be an issue. DUI or felony would probably kill your chances, many other things could be acceptable if they ceased years ago and you include them on your application. Simple traffic citations are not a big deal if they are old AND you included them on your application.

It seems to take forever to hear from them. As previously stated if you omitted anything it's game over. Not knowing what you have in your history it is tough for us to guess it if could be an issue. DUI or felony would probably kill your chances, many other things could be acceptable if they ceased years ago and you include them on your application. Simple traffic citations are not a big deal if they are old AND you included them on your application.
DUI in
Unfortunately it is a DUI in 1998. I included this on my application. Probably should move on with my job search. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully they look at my overall commercial driving record and employment record and take everything into consideration. In the 12 years I've been commercially driving I've only had one speeding violation over 10 years ago when I first started driving and a lane restriction violation on the Ohio Turnpike about 4 years ago. That's it. Hey, the interview seemed to go well anyway!

DUI in

Unfortunately it is a DUI in 1998. I included this on my application. Probably should move on with my job search. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully they look at my overall commercial driving record and employment record and take everything into consideration. In the 12 years I've been commercially driving I've only had one speeding violation over 10 years ago when I first started driving and a lane restriction violation on the Ohio Turnpike about 4 years ago. That's it. Hey, the interview seemed to go well anyway!

You were wise to tell the truth because as has been stated dishonesty will stop consideration of your application. Your driving record has been good in the last few years & they will notice that. Good luck. This is a good company to work for.

You were wise to tell the truth because as has been stated dishonesty will stop consideration of your application. Your driving record has been good in the last few years & they will notice that. Good luck. This is a good company to work for.
Thanks. The outcome is out of my hands now. We'll see what the future holds.

One thing to your advantage is that ABF if self insured so they don't have an insurance company dictating who they hire. That DUI is almost 20 years old so you are at least not dead in the water. I'd say that ABF used to be a good company to work for but I wouldn't say that now. I would say that they are probably better than many of the others out there but if you have a chance to switch careers I would recommend it. CNC takes a while to learn but that would be my #1 recommendation for a youngster today.

Everyone needs to be honest on their applications because if you don't and they find out that you omitted info or lied, you can and will be terminated for falsifying information. You even sign a document in the process saying that you understand that.

However, each company has different lengths of time that they will hold against you. Read the application carefully at each company that you apply for since one will ask for ONE year of previous violations, and other will ask for up to 10 years of violations. Read the question carefully, and if you don't have to add any violations from years past, because the required years on the application doesn't ask for that far back, don't list it at all.

One thing to your advantage is that ABF if self insured so they don't have an insurance company dictating who they hire. That DUI is almost 20 years old so you are at least not dead in the water. I'd say that ABF used to be a good company to work for but I wouldn't say that now. I would say that they are probably better than many of the others out there but if you have a chance to switch careers I would recommend it. CNC takes a while to learn but that would be my #1 recommendation for a youngster today.
I gotta be honest. A career change is an option I'm kicking around. I haven't been on truckingboards long enough to trust that I can unleash my life history on here yet but trucking as a whole is a very unrewarding career. I've been with the same company for almost 18 years. Started on the dock and then went into driving. Been making a decent wage for years but we've been on a downhill spiral that those in charge can't seem to figure out how to stop. You may or may not know the company I work for but I'm not going to say here. Privately I would tell you. Researching ABF led me to this forum and there are definitely some issues with ABF that I'm becoming aware of. The vacation and pay give back on your last contract is concerning. I've been reading a lot of your posts and can see the issues the union has been dealing with. I might be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with ABF. Are there any good trucking companies to work for anymore? Like I said before...we'll see what the future holds. Considering my options. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to prove what kind of a man I am now because of something that happened almost 20 years ago. My CDL record should stand on it's own but unfortunately that's not the it is anymore.

I gotta be honest. A career change is an option I'm kicking around. I haven't been on truckingboards long enough to trust that I can unleash my life history on here yet but trucking as a whole is a very unrewarding career. I've been with the same company for almost 18 years. Started on the dock and then went into driving. Been making a decent wage for years but we've been on a downhill spiral that those in charge can't seem to figure out how to stop. You may or may not know the company I work for but I'm not going to say here. Privately I would tell you. Researching ABF led me to this forum and there are definitely some issues with ABF that I'm becoming aware of. The vacation and pay give back on your last contract is concerning. I've been reading a lot of your posts and can see the issues the union has been dealing with. I might be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with ABF. Are there any good trucking companies to work for anymore? Like I said before...we'll see what the future holds. Considering my options. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to prove what kind of a man I am now because of something that happened almost 20 years ago. My CDL record should stand on it's own but unfortunately that's not the it is anymore.
The way it is anymore....sorry. You know what I meant!

Everyone needs to be honest on their applications because if you don't and they find out that you omitted info or lied, you can and will be terminated for falsifying information. You even sign a document in the process saying that you understand that.

However, each company has different lengths of time that they will hold against you. Read the application carefully at each company that you apply for since one will ask for ONE year of previous violations, and other will ask for up to 10 years of violations. Read the question carefully, and if you don't have to add any violations from years past, because the required years on the application doesn't ask for that far back, don't list it at all.
I believe the ABF application asked if I have EVER had a dui and it was in capital letters on the application.

I got hired in 2013, had a dui in 1986. Guy that hired me thought it was funny because I was young and lived in Florida at the time. Questioned me for 20 minutes over an old seatbelt ticket I got in California instead of over length ticket. All I can say is I was honest and up front about everything and they hired me. Took three months from start of application. Good luck, no regrets for me so far...out of Carlisle Pa

Here's a whole different issue....an in cab driver facing camera being installed in the truck has been the final straw for me

I got hired in 2013, had a dui in 1986. Guy that hired me thought it was funny because I was young and lived in Florida at the time. Questioned me for 20 minutes over an old seatbelt ticket I got in California instead of over length ticket. All I can say is I was honest and up front about everything and they hired me. Took three months from start of application. Good luck, no regrets for me so far...out of Carlisle Pa
Thanks ebark63. My DUI is a little more recent but we'll see. I think the guy I interviewed with is pushing for me. How much push he has remains to be seen

My advice, with 44 years in the industry, is to bite the bullet and make a career change. These jobs are headed for mediocrity at best. The pension promises are now a lie. They were once so good, that we didn't NEED the protections of the PBGC, and so they didn't pay the higher premiums to guarantee them like the single employer pensions. It is virtually headed for mediocre slave-like working conditions, what with the work opportunities for low- seniority men starting out. Our friends in Washington DC intentionally destroyed this industry in 1979 with the trucking deregulation bill they passed. I can never get Carter standing in front of the microphones and saying " we estimate this will save the American consumer 4 billion dollars a year" out of my memory banks. Maybe so, but it ruined the airline and trucking industries, as far as decent jobs are concerned. We are now finally reaping the bitter fruit of their tyranny. Remember them all this fall. I know it is a tough choice, but consider this carefully before proceeding. If you are young and still healthy, consider your options and find something else with a promising future. I just met a guy that travels all over the world working as an underwater certified welder working on nuclear power plants. He only works about 6mos out of the year and makes a great living, and no, he doesn't glow in the dark. Wish I had thought of that before I climbed in my first truck in 1972.

In my opinion, it is virtually an insult what they demand from us as far as personal perfection and surrender of our constitutional rights to privacy are concerned in comparison to what they now offer in wages and benefits. Not even the politicians in DC could pass the scrutiny they so cavalierly demand of us. Let THEM pee in a bottle on demand. After all, we are only operating heavy equipment, they are supposedly operating a whole damn country. Yeah, I am bitter....

Here's a whole different issue....an in cab driver facing camera being installed in the truck has been the final straw for me
Another thing you have going for you isca
Another thing you have going for you you're applying at a break bulk they always need people....

Here's something for the geniuses that came up with this mess to consider: Who is going to want to work on-call nights and weekends for $13-somthing an hour for non CDL casual work throwing freight on a cold, windswept freight dock when they peer through the blowing snow to the high-school kids across the street working in a burger joint for $15.00 an hour in a few years. Good luck to em......but they better figure it out quickly.