ABF | ABF Discharge: Tied to Fred?

It is a violation of Teamster by laws to engage another in violence, also is a work place violence issue, also just dumb.. should be fired... Most men/women don't take the oath, don't follow the oath,, I cant say that even our leaders do... but violence is senseless and not an answer... Its what the company loved to see during this, no unity,, the best thing to do, is vote your local reps out of office on the local level, they are too comfortable,,the guys that will be running against them will be using it as ammo...

It is a violation of Teamster by laws to engage another in violence, also is a work place violence issue, also just dumb.. should be fired... Most men/women don't take the oath, don't follow the oath,, I cant say that even our leaders do... but violence is senseless and not an answer... Its what the company loved to see during this, no unity,, the best thing to do, is vote your local reps out of office on the local level, they are too comfortable,,the guys that will be running against them will be using it as ammo...

This bunch should be anything but comfortable. They have only been in office for 1 1/2 years. Issues have been with them since day 1.

It is a shame that the Union official didn't turn around to the company and tell them to " Mind their own business, this is an internal Union problem and we will work it out together." instead of using company rules to get a man .....and Union brother....discharged. I saw and heard my Local union president say that after a pretty good fist-fight took place on company property about the validity of grievances.......and the Union president wasn't winning the fight. But.....he had the courage to tell the two company dispatchers who came running over yelling threats of firings......to bug off.....Nobody got fired that day.....but our Union president's stature rose immesurably that day.....he could've had the guy hitting him fired......but he KNEW who the real enemy was, and refused to use THEIR rules to win HIS fight. He got the respect of a very young and impressionable kid that day.....this happened back in the 70's......I guess back when elected Union officials KNEW who they represented, and AGAINST WHOM.....Don't make 'em like that anymore, I guess.....

It is a shame that the Union official didn't turn around to the company and tell them to " Mind their own business, this is an internal Union problem and we will work it out together." instead of using company rules to get a man .....and Union brother....discharged. I saw and heard my Local union president say that after a pretty good fist-fight took place on company property about the validity of grievances.......and the Union president wasn't winning the fight. But.....he had the courage to tell the two company dispatchers who came running over yelling threats of firings......to bug off.....Nobody got fired that day.....but our Union president's stature rose immesurably that day.....he could've had the guy hitting him fired......but he KNEW who the real enemy was, and refused to use THEIR rules to win HIS fight. He got the respect of a very young and impressionable kid that day.....this happened back in the 70's......I guess back when elected Union officials KNEW who they represented, and AGAINST WHOM.....Don't make 'em like that anymore, I guess.....
That may have been ok in the 70s. Nowadays if a manager witnessed that and did not take action he would be fired without a second though. Times have changed alot and workplace violence is not tolerated by any company.

White Shirt is right but I hate that he is. With all the gun violence currently happening in our country and a workforce that is stressed to the breaking point, companies cannot afford to let violence happen on their property without taking action. And no I am not a gun hater. I have a concealed carry permit and my wife carries a 9mm. But on the other hand if the companies were not trying to reduce wages to zero and eliminate vacations and time off, then the call for workplace violence would be almost eliminated. The employee’s are people and we deserve respect!

White Shirt is right but I hate that he is. With all the gun violence currently happening in our country and a workforce that is stressed to the breaking point, companies cannot afford to let violence happen on their property without taking action. And no I am not a gun hater. I have a concealed carry permit and my wife carries a 9mm. But on the other hand if the companies were not trying to reduce wages to zero and eliminate vacations and time off, then the call for workplace violence would be almost eliminated. The employee’s are people and we deserve respect!
Yea, they need to get to the 'root cause' of the problem in order to correct it.

ABFer, I am not sure management or the government believe they have a problem. The violence does not affect them and we, the employees, are just replaceable parts to both. I say this as I watch the protests in Egypt.

The problem with looking the other way is, both the union and the company are obligated to enforce workplace violence laws. Failure of EITHER to do so will likely result in civil and possibly criminal charges.

On a happier note EVERYONE have safe and happy Independence Day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line is, you come to work and put your hands on another individual, you just might be an idiot. And whatever you get in return is well earned.

I don’t believe it would work today or in the future because we are such a small part of the union. I wonder if the IBT would even notice if all 7,500 union ABF employees quit paying union dues? The locals would but I am coming to believe that freight employees are more of a pain-in-the-B**to the international than we are worth. We just don’t conform!!!!

I don’t believe it would work today or in the future because we are such a small part of the union. I wonder if the IBT would even notice if all 7,500 union ABF employees quit paying union dues? The locals would but I am coming to believe that freight employees are more of a pain-in-the-B**to the international than we are worth. We just don’t conform!!!!