ABF | ABF Driving School FORT SMITH, ARKANSAS

SOGMAN

TB Lurker
Credits
Can anyone that attended the ABF Fort Smith, Arkansas Driving School give some insight about the school, tests and area :duh: transmissions being 9 /10 speed, autos......

SOGMAN welcome to trucking boards. Good to have you . I can't answer your questions because I did not go to the school. I can tell you that our trucks are 10 speed. No automatics that I know of in the fleet. Maybe someone here has been to the school and they can help you with the rest of your questions.

Can anyone that attended the ABF Fort Smith, Arkansas Driving School give some insight about the school, tests and area :duh: transmissions being 9 /10 speed, autos......

I went to the school exactly 2 years ago this week. The first week is all classroom. Make sure you take your NODOZE with you. The instructor reads from a book outloud while you read in your own book just like grade school. On the fifth day, you finally get to go outside to the tractors and do some yard type work(hooking, unhooking, and backing). You will do the pre-trip every morning before you do anything else so by the time you leave it will be old hat to you. You will use only ABF equipment which when I was there was 1997 Road tractors and One old International city unit. The road units you will use are 9 speed. The city unit is 6 speed. You will pull ABF pups and ABF converter gears. Yes, some of the time you will have to pull a set. The instructors were all really good guys.
As far as the test is concerned, you will do the pre-trip then take a simple roughly 5 mile road test with only one pup.
The hotel you stay in is not the best in town but what do you expect for free. When I did it, I was paid $300 per week while there and mileage to drive out and back. Two years ago that was 38.5 cents per mile. While you are driving out there if you need to stop to sleep they will also reimburse you for that. It is supposed to be a 3 week course but it is possible to do it in 2. If you already have some experience it will really help. My advice is to practice on your yard at your terminal before you go out to Ft. Smith. I was already yard qualified and completed the school in 2 weeks. On your last day there you will get to go to the General Office and tour and meet some interesting people there. They give you your last check there at 12 and you can go home after that. Overall the trip was great and I am very thankful for the chance to go at their expense.
I hope this helps you out and Good Luck!!!
HD75:1036316054:

HARLEYDAD75: Thank You!! Anywhere to hangout, grab a beverage of choice? SOGMAN

The Varsity Grill has great food and beverages of all types. Also, there is a little pub(beer joint) right beside the hotel. Western Sizzlin right across the street.HD75