ABF | Abf is asked to give back

leftyblack

TB Lurker
Credits
Get ready ABF, your going to be asked to give back to help stay competative with YRC. The management teams & Teamster officials are going to present a concession package for EVERYONE in the Master Freight Agreement. This includes ABF which is presently not having Finanical problems. Once again LABOR is being asked to bail out a badly managed company only this time it's not even ours!!

Get ready ABF, your going to be asked to give back to help stay competative with YRC. The management teams & Teamster officials are going to present a concession package for EVERYONE in the Master Freight Agreement. This includes ABF which is presently not having Finanical problems. Once again LABOR is being asked to bail out a badly managed company only this time it's not even ours!!

Sounds like someone trying to put out a fire before the match has been lit. Don't we all have enough on our plates without starting trouble that doesn't exist?

Sounds like someone trying to put out a fire before the match has been lit. Don't we all have enough on our plates without starting trouble that doesn't exist?
I totally agree but believe me it's TRUE...THE LOCALS..will know on wednesday the terms ...meetings with the rank & file next weekend with the ballots being mailed....REMEMBER YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

I'm confused. Do you mean:
ABF will get concessions from the Teamsters as well?
Or
ABF Teamsters will be asked to take a roll back which will then be kicked over to YRC?

Sorry. I'm just not clear what you mean.

I'm confused. Do you mean:
ABF will get concessions from the Teamsters as well?
Or
ABF Teamsters will be asked to take a roll back which will then be kicked over to YRC?

Sorry. I'm just not clear what you mean.
it simply means that the give back concessions that the YRC rank & file are being asked to give back are also going to be asked of the rank & file of ABF to insure that abf can continue to compete will YRC & the pension fund will stay solvent if YRC goes ABF cannot support the fund. The concessions will blanket the entire master freight parties

Makes sense i guess. It's hard enough for union companies to compete with non-union. You can't very well give YRC a big advantage too. Doesn't make any sense to punish of the best run freight companies in the business because their competition has run themselves into the ground.

Here is my vote NO!! Why should we be held responsible for p*** poor management at YRC that runs a company into the ground like they did.No give backs, all company's involved signed a contract so a deal is a deal.:deal:

I heard this was an adendum to the contract. Just like the office people ride on our contract. doesn't mean that abf has to sign.

I heard this was an adendum to the contract. Just like the office people ride on our contract. doesn't mean that abf has to sign.

maybe so
but how long will it take for abf to become financially strapped trying to compete with the lower labor costs of yrc
yrc will use the lower labor costs to heavily discount freight more than they normally do
once abf becomes hardpressed from that , they will be knocking at the int'ls door if not already
then we all go:TR10driving03:

the IBT should force yrc to sell off their profitable assets first such as new penn
new penn has always been a moneymaker, so they do not need relief
i believe when roadway corp acquired them they paid something like 700 mil, they have to be worth around 1 billion now
DHL is a potential suiter, was always looking for a freight company
abf as well
arkbest would love to bolster its abf utility network with the combination of what they now have and what new penn could bring to the table
yrc should use that cash from a fire sale instead of ours
probably sell holland also and yrc logistics to boot
sell the race car first, the hot air ballons etc etc etc

the IBT should be saying yrc should go to the government first before asking us
as the IBT should not be a willing partner to wreck the entire industry to save a **** poor run management team that is more than likely paid too much

the big three automakers did not ask for anything from their workers first and went directly to the gov and their workers have a much better deal than we do

the IBT should act like the UAW instead of trying to play the role of savior
our concessions to date ( every contract since 1982 ) should have been more than enough
i guess the IBT is resigned to the fact or used to the idea that the company has :nutkick: in the balls consistently

the irony of it all is that the non union jobs will have higher paid employees than the NMFA jobs

let's see it sort of looks like a downward spiral of events instead of raising the standards or at least holding the line for the workers
non union guys do not gloat as you also have a target on your backs as your companies will simply impose whatever they need without negotiating with you

maybe so
but how long will it take for abf to become financially strapped trying to compete with the lower labor costs of yrc
yrc will use the lower labor costs to heavily discount freight more than they normally do
once abf becomes hardpressed from that , they will be knocking at the int'ls door if not already

the IBT should force yrc to sell off their profitable assets first such as new penn
i believe when roadway corp acquired them they paid something like 700 mil, they have to be worth around 1 billion now
abf as well
arkbest would love to bolster its abf utility network with the combination of what they now have and what new penn could bring to the table

as the IBT should not be a willing partner to wreck the entire industry to save a **** poor run management team that is more than likely paid too much

the big three automakers did not ask for anything from their workers first and went directly to the gov and their workers have a much better deal than we do

our concessions to date ( every contract since 1982 ) should have been more than enough
i guess the IBT is resigned to the fact or used to the idea that the company has :nutkick: in the balls consistently

the irony of it all is that the non union jobs will have higher paid employees than the NMFA jobs

let's see it sort of looks like a downward spiral of events instead of raising the standards or at least holding the line for the workers
non union guys do not gloat as you also have a target on your backs as your companies will simply impose whatever they need without negotiating with you

not sure how long the non-unions will be getting payed more than us being that they're hurting too. Jevic is gone, Conway is shutting 40 terminals, layoff lists growing by the day, 3-4 day work weeks, and for the most part, those jobs are just not that attractive when you put them up against a NPME, ABF, UPS, etc. that's just my opinion. the nons main focus is to cut costs i.e. lack of or no overtime pay, city men running linehaul, linehaul working the dock, linehaul dropping & hooking their sets. should i go on ? we set the standards for their high pay. it's only a matter of time until we lower their pay. and there will be NO secret vote with them. enjoy that turkey Steve-O :1036316054:

maybe so

abf as well

Big steve i agree with ya sell new penn in the 3 quarter npme had a o/r of 90 so yes they are a money maker . Yrc could pay down alot of debt with a sale of new penn .

It is true ABF is looking for the same concessions that YRCW gets. There was a letter from ABF's CEO posted at our terminal yesterday that said we would need those concessions in order to compete with YRCW & all the non union companies. He said that it MAY be better for ABF to get them now, while they are still in good financial shape, rather than wait until they are in financial trouble (or something like that)

WK said they would keep informed as developments occurred I don't know where you guys get a give back from. Don't assume anything.

In these modern days of tight credit, corporate problems and such, we all turn to history and decide what has worked and what has failed. Even though I am not directly involved, our COO has sent out a letter to all of our terminals. His inference that the executives will demand equal treatment is clear, with regard to pay give backs. Here are a few ideas as we move forward.

First. No deal should be struck that makes us look like patsies. No compensation cuts for the workers without drastic executive compensation cuts and limitations. No executive, top level to front line manager receives one dime more than the highest paid Teamster contract employee. Not only monetary compensations but the usual perks. Sell the company cars, and bring your own, just like we do. Stock and equity compensations should go away. If Zollars and the corporate management compensation package adjustments do not make much of a difference, at least it will show good faith in their argument.

Kemp and crew should expect the same treatment, if they want the same terms.

Second. Executive compensation limits should continue and be monitored by the IBT until such time as our full contract wage is restored.

Why on earth should we as Teamsters be forced to make personal sacrifices while the corporate fat cats get fatter? The top level management will be sitting on mahogany row, trying to figure out how to squeeze more out of us while they have their company provided Bentley polished. At what time do we say enough is enough?

All of this my brothers and sisters is a symptom of corporate greed, and a sign of the times. Precipitated by the greed of big oil. Big Oil in this country has bankrupted this country.

My good friend Nuckinfutz told me 8 years ago this was going to happen, and I'll be a SOB if he wasn't right on the money. He gave me many things, his crystal ball wasn't one of them. We both think at this time we must protect ourselves while we have the opportunity as a Union, to do so.

All of this then we can HONESTLY sit across the table and negotiate.

Anything less is a shell game.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809-1894)

Everyone should have the email from from the CEO in there terminals by now. Read it and you will see what 2631 is talking about. Looks to me ABF is ready to jump at anything they can get back. If they need it or not they are ready to take it. Please support our Brothers and sisters over at YRC. We need them for our own well being

ABF can just sit there

I believe when YRCW and 'our' Teamsters Union agree or disagree it will involve you, ABF very directly... whether you like it or not. YRCW is the second biggest employer of Teamsters...UPS being the 1st...once again...we are in this together or not....If you find that you luv your company so much as to forget about the rest of your brethern...KMA. I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO BACK YOU ON WHEN YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!!:popcorn:

Makes sense i guess. It's hard enough for union companies to compete with non-union. You can't very well give YRC a big advantage too. Doesn't make any sense to punish of the best run freight companies in the business because their competition has run themselves into the ground.

can someone say, big isnt always better.......

hands will be out

FEDEX, CONWAY, all the rest of them will have their hands out after the so called concessions...Union or not...do you believe this is the worst economy we have ever had since 'our' 'great depression'? and / or your company will survive any more than any other?:popcorn:

give back

:hysterical: They already posted this at the south chicago terminal. Telling us that now is the time to to address the "give back" question. He (KEMPP) states that we shouldn't wait until it's too late to be competitive. He says we should give back NOW. How about ABF give up the race car and quit giving bonuses out to the higher ups or how about this one, how about Abf start getting rid of some of the terminal management personnel that don't earn their pay or contribute to the bottom line or the profitability of ABF. should start to clean their own house before they ask me to take money out of mine.