ABF | Abf is asked to give back

If the givebacks are going to pay off debt is one thing....however if yrw continue to heavily discount freight & haul freight that doesn't make money they cannot & will not survive...their give back should have no operating effect on ABF. If they continue to operate yrw the same way they will be out of business

Who would want to buy,after they ruined it?

for the record, New Penn was never ruined. it's still a highly profitable carrier and highly attractive to anyone willing to put the dough up. hopefully Jr. can pressure ol' Dollar Bill into spinning us off. he needs the cash like right now but i highly doubt he's gonna get what he wants in terms of an asking price.

I have an idea...how about we structure the givebacks like our raises.. 35 cents the first year, 40 the second and third and lets see where it goes from there:butt kiss: I dont like to give things away faster then it took me to get them, it only seems fair.

for the record, New Penn was never ruined. it's still a highly profitable carrier and highly attractive to anyone willing to put the dough up. hopefully Jr. can pressure ol' Dollar Bill into spinning us off. he needs the cash like right now but i highly doubt he's gonna get what he wants in terms of an asking price.

UT, that's the irony in this, New Penn, Holland, Roadway, Yellow & ABF are still profitable companies. Yet we are going to be asked to work for less. It will be very difficult for most of us to approve any givebacks since we have been doing a good job all along helping to make our companies successful.

dockman380 makes a good point.
i dont mind helping but why should my 24 yrs. be put at risk because some idiot running another company wants to be king!How he hasnt been fired is a joke,he took very profitable companys and ran them into the ground! I feel sorry for the yrcw employees who get up everyday to go to work wondering "whats gonna happen today!".

You may not agree with his "ran them into the ground" comment, but my friends at New Penn are saying basically the same thing. NPMF isn't ruined yet but YRCW has them & Holland headed in that direction.

We can hope that someone will come along and buy New Penn & Holland like UPS bought Overnite

Don't blame YRC for starting this mess. Milan had 10% pay cut last month. If the workers like it or not!!
This is going to affect all the LTL companies. When the union shops start cutting wages, the non-union shops will follow.

Don't blame YRC for starting this mess. Milan had 10% pay cut last month. If the workers like it or not!!
This is going to affect all the LTL companies. When the union shops start cutting wages, the non-union shops will follow.
I don't understand your post. Didn't YRCW ask the IBT 2 weeks ago for givebacks? Who or what is Milan?

Follow the leader

In my opinion we(ABF) have gotten attached to a failing company. The contract we have now was not in ABFs best interest. We just settled. So it wouldn't suprise me if we get drug down with YRCW. I think its the all or none mentallity.

If YRC chooses to increase discounts they will not stay in business. This is what happened to CF.

Just for the record............CF did not want to be in business, they wanted the doors closed. Discounts had nothing to do with it. Case closed. :TR10driving03:
I'm out

Starting to look to me like its Hoffa's last stand in freight.He doesn't want to lose 40000,$60.00 a month dues paying members cause just how many will get union,dues paying jobs..Without these high pension and welfare paying jobs the IBT in general could be in serious trouble..Look around your local and see how many other jobs,school bus drivers township workers and various warehouse workers..they for the most part enjoy the same medical benefits as us...Do you think there welfare rate per hour is the same as ours ..I doubt it:popcorn:

I don't understand your post. Didn't YRCW ask the IBT 2 weeks ago for givebacks? Who or what is Milan?

Milan is a LTL carrier based I think out of Tenn. They have a terminal in Cleveland,Oh.
The company told all the workers that they would be taking a cut in pay and they would not be contributing into the 401K. And that was everyone from owners on down.

UT, that's the irony in this, New Penn, Holland, Roadway, Yellow & ABF are still profitable companies. Yet we are going to be asked to work for less. It will be very difficult for most of us to approve any givebacks since we have been doing a good job all along helping to make our companies successful.

dockman380 makes a good point.

You may not agree with his "ran them into the ground" comment, but my friends at New Penn are saying basically the same thing. NPMF isn't ruined yet but YRCW has them & Holland headed in that direction.

We can hope that someone will come along and buy New Penn & Holland like UPS bought Overnite

This is what I don't understand ..At New penn they figure our trailers at at least 13 bills per trailer to figure out how many guys they will use for the day..I believe Roadway is the same ,I can't speak for holland but I would think that is same for them,Yet when I see a yellow guy He goes out with around seven or eight and for the most part always empty around lunch in line to make pu"s ..Let see if someone can explain this to me NewPenn makes money Raodway makes money Holland and Readdaway makes money yellow losing money But we all have to take it on the chin I guess that's fair:TR10driving03: The worst part about this whole mess is we all are going to take it on the chin:popcorn:

If this deal at YRC would help save jobs I would give it 100% backing. But you look back and the workers lost money and the company's are gone. I don't want to sound like doom and gloom, but poor management is usually a key factor in this type of scenario. They get so big that they lose touch of what's really going on in a day-to-day operations and they are not fast enough to react in this changing economy. I think they will slash jobs even if they give a 15% pay cut ...

i posted this on the yr thread but i feel it is also appropriate here

"i still cannot for the life of me understand why hoffa chose to jump right away and do something
why not wait for the government b4 jumping in?
the banks etc were aided almost immediately so the time factor would not be a valid excuse
i think scrutiny is the key
sure the teamsters will scrutinize their bailout deal so to speak but without the "teeth" necessary to be effective
enforcement of the last 4-5 contracts indicate and back up that thought
the government however has more "teeth" albeit, not a full set of chompers but certainly can deliver a harder bite "legally" than the teamsters for sure with more effective legal consequences looming

unless of course there is something he's (hoffa) not revealing to us or the public (customers) at this time as it might damage any "comeback from the brink" attempt from being successful
we are on a need to know basis and what the IBT is saying from my perspective
is we do not need to know we need to just keep working
i agree somewhat with that philosophy but i still believe that the IBT should force a fire sale of subsidiaries also so the entire burden does not rest only on us (teamsters)
it will raise cash and protect our jobs better than any giveback can
history re-affirms that sentiment
$bill probably shook the proverbial tree and threatened the IBT with liquidating pieces of the conglomerate, namely the teamster pieces and hoffa obviously fell out of the tree hopefully not on his head or *** but on his feet and felt the giveback may be a better road to follow than the ultimatum
this is just thoughts i have and i have no basis in any behind the scenes knowledge
but from what i see transpiring this is my take
take it for what it is "

let's hope hoffa at least holds on to a branch when ole man kemp shakes the tree

just remember that ABF came to us years ago and said they needed a give back or they could not compete because of debt. Company wide it was turned down by over 90% and we still stayed in business so wait and see what happens. As far as givebacks not one company that ever had a give back is still in business today.

just remember that ABF came to us years ago and said they needed a give back or they could not compete because of debt. Company wide it was turned down by over 90% and we still stayed in business so wait and see what happens. As far as givebacks not one company that ever had a give back is still in business today.

It would be nice if you posted this on one of the YRC threads...

there is a lot of speculation on what is goin to happen . Why not wait and see?

it is inevitable that abf will ask for the same deal in order to compete
and they would have a valid argument too! due to the fact that yrc could slash their rates due to a lower labor cost and put a hurtin on its ultimate competitor namely abf
companies such as conway would not really be affected
but abf will certainly feel it
speculation, yes it is but you do not have to be a rocket scientist to anticipate what most likely will go down

b4 the new contract abf wished to get out from the obligations of the pension and welfare funds to no avail
which was a good thing as their consulting firm they relied on for info went belly up themselves
abf had little or no chance for withdrawing back then and i was glad the IBT stood its ground

now here comes a better opening for them to screw us
a more than likely wage reduction which would do absolutely nothing but allow the company to line their pockets a lot more with giving us nothing in return
better deal than the pension withdrawal? you bet
hopefully the IBT stands firm once again and says no
but with an uneven cost factor between the unionized segment it may prove too much for abf to bear and the reality may very well be that IBT would eventually cave in to granting them what they want
and ultimately convincing the rest of us to go along with it
thank god it's a majority rule vote

hey guys check this out
i rec'd this email
it is very interesting in light of all the recent bailout activity on capital hill inclusive of our (teamster) possible bailout of yrc

The Birk Economic Recovery PLan

Hi Pals,

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in a 'We Deserve It Dividend'.

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000 bon-a-fide U.S. Citizens 18+.

Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billon that equals $425,000.00.

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a 'We Deserve It Dividend'.

Of course, it would NOT be tax free. So let's assume a tax rate of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes. That sends $25,500,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket. A husband and wife has $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?

Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved.

Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads

Put away money for college - it'll be there

Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs.

Buy a new car - create jobs

Invest in the market - capital drives growth

Pay for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves

Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean - or else

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the folks who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...instead of trickling out a puny $1000.00 ( "vote buy" ) economic incentive that is being proposed by one of our candidates for President.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult U S Citizen 18+!

As for AIG - liquidate it.

Sell off its parts.

Let American General go back to being American General.

Sell off the real estate.

Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and AIG doesn't.

Sure it's a crazy idea that can "never work."

But can you imagine the Coast-To-Coast Block Party!

How do you spell Economic Boom?

I trust my fellow adult Americans to know how to use the $85 Billion 'We Deserve It Dividend' more than I do the geniuses at AIG or in Washington DC.

And remember, The Birk plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because $25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.

Ahhh...I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

Kindest personal regards,

T. J. Birkenmeier, A Creative Guy & Citizen of the Republic

PS: Feel free to pass this along to your pals as it's either good for a laugh or a tear or a very sobering thought on how to best use $85 Billion!!=

multiply that sentiment on the basis of 4 or 5 bailouts!