ABF is looking for a Road Driver Part-time Over-the-Road (as needed)

Discussion in 'Truck Drivers Wanted' started by Jeff, May 27, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

2. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

The company announced they would hire in Memphis & would not require a high school diploma or GED. When I was hired one was required. The company is having to lower standards to attract employees. Maybe this last contract isn't working so well for the company.
    Thanks for the information Jeff.

3. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

OTR part time, makes me want to move to Fontana, CA in a hurry. Seeing as it's about 30 miles from LA the cost of living should be low enough for me.

Rollin likes this.
  4. DCM_Doc

In the past the company never had to advertise for applicants. The low starting pay & the vacation doesn't do much to attract good employees.

5. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I hate freight but I'm tempted to ask my rep to refer me next time ABF hires, thats the only freight job I would do.

Got my hair cut with a guy that had a mon thru thurs TUL to LIT, how sweet is that, he had 10 yrs in!

6. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

We are in the same boat Brother, cept we won't even put an ad in the paper, then mgmt complains that no one is beating the door down lol.

7. runawaytrain

runawaytrain Wear their scorn with pride.

Dallas has a big banner out front on Irving Blvd. hiring city drivers..........it's been up awhile.......No banner just across the street at Southeastern.

8. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

While I have been fairly happy working at ABF for 20 years I never really felt like it was the best thing on earth but I didn't expect it to become the employer to stay away from. Big "R" had that honor for a while, YRC does have it now and so does ABF. Imagine that two large union companies having trouble finding drivers. :shrug: Should make Hoffa and Co. proud.

9. xeastend

xeastend Active Member

I also heard some adds on WABC radio out of NYC. Starting $19.00/hr. Think around 6 locations North Jersey , Brooklyn and Long Island

10. DCM_Doc

ABF is also having difficulty finding mechanics. The dealerships pay more than ABF however the dealership wages are often tied to flat rate time.